Advice on going low carb again

Maggie75

Hello everyone,

I'm T2, diagnosed in 2020 when I initially went low carb for 6 months, lost 3 stone and reduced HBA1C to 36, anxiety took over again (I have severe depression and anxiety), I put all the weight back on again and haven't been able to manage my diabetes or weight since then. I know now I need to do something, I'm feeling worse every week, just turned 49 and I feel about 80! Turning point came tonight when I could no longer cut my toenails, the pain behind my ribs was excruciating simply from too much fat I think, my weight now is around 15 stone, I'm 4 and a half stone overweight and I know that low carb is the answer, does anyone have any advice how to get back to it, I know it should be simple, I've done it before but it's like I'm literally battling my own mind which just wants to keep everything the way it is. I'm considering going back to the DN and asking for the ozempic (if there's any available now), has anyone tried this, does it actually work? I'm just so scared I won't be able to do this on my own now, it's a horrible feeling, even considered joining a WW or SW group, I know the diets are no good for diabetics but just to keep me accountable with a weekly weigh in. Any advice right now would be so much appreciated, I've got to do this, I know I do, think I just need a bit of motivation to get me going. Thanks.

Maggie

• Hug
Reactions: Outlier

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Maggie75 So much emphasis is put on what to eat and that we should lose weight as though we had just to exercise our will power and it will happen - well it never happened for me, I know that.
Do you check your blood glucose after eating? That is what did the trick for me. Once I found out how to stay under 8mmol/l at the 2 hour testing point, I stuck to those foods and my numbers kept on going down, and my diabetes has been in remission for years. I have lost quite a bit of weight, but it just went. I found my clothes sliding south suddenly and have had to alter or replace just about all my clothes several times.
I avoid foods which are over 10% carb and am careful even at the top of that range, but I eat anything which isn't low fat by design. I have packs of Lidl mixed berries, frozen, and make a jelly, sugar free, and then add the berries or I add the berries to full fat Greek yoghurt.
I had the pain behind the ribs problem - I think it was my liver, which was rock hard and rather large - I can get down to clean the bottom of the fridge these days and my waist is so much smaller.
I'd advise to stay away from slimming clubs and spend the subscription on meat and mushrooms - or fish, as low carb really can be very effective and once you get a couple of good shopping lists for a bit of variation it seems easy and sustainable.