Advice please - having a nightmare :(

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The symptoms you describe could be diabetes related but not necessarily. As others have indicated you need to have an idea of where your blood sugars are at and how they are reacting to different foods in order to understand what is going on diabetese wise. Meters and test strips can be expensive but the Tee2 meter is free from spirit healthcare and comes with 10 strips, you can order more at £7.75 for 50. There is a small charge for the codefree but the strips are slightly cheaper. Even if you only use the 10 free strips its better than nothing although far from optimal
Using a meter and strips allows you to carry out tests which show how your individual body reacts to different foods and to then make adjustments that work for you and make any necessary adjustments to your diet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast cereals are high in carbs - and diabetics do not deal with carbs at all well - bread is high in carbs too - there are a few coming on to the market which are lower in carbs, but they are perhaps best left until BG levels are normal most of the tine. Potatoes are high carb, and many fruits too - but you are right that berries - other than blueberries - are low carb.
You can eat small amounts of high cocoa chocolate, no problem, also meat and fish, eggs, cheese, shellfish are low carb, and there are quite a few low carb salad and veges so no problem in finding something to put with the main part of the meal.

Reactions: tigerrunfree

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sure some members will provide guidance on the most economical blood sugar monitors for type 2s, codefree or tee2 I believe.

With metformin only and your diet (oats for breakfast, ryvita for lunch and jacket potatoe for dinner) I would be amazed if you were having hypos.

Your symptoms, lightheadedness, blurry vision, fatigue and nausea along with weight loss sound like symptoms of hyperglycaemia. You really need to test your blood sugar to be sure. Lots of chemists will do this for you if you can pop into a Lloyds or Boots and request a diabetes check.

Are you using anything to track what you're eating - myfitnesspal is a free app that does this - that will tell you the macro content of your food, so you can keep an eye on how many carbs eaten and let you know how many calories your taking in. If you've suddenly drastically reduced your calories you won't feel great and you're supposed to eat 1200 a day even when loosing weight, it doesn't sound like you are meeting this from your diet.
I agree. More like high bgs as Metformin barely touches the surface of high bgs.
Also nutrients like iron deficiency and vitd3 insuffiency, like me maybe. B12 can be effected by metformin but not this soon. Dramatic change to diet can stress the vessels and muscle glucose becomes starved on some diets, hence no energy as muscles need alot to power us, especially if big like me. Insulin resistance will reverse within a month but it can return once eating large amounts again.

Sounds like muscles need what stores you have left first so have gone into economy drive. Your body thinks your being starved. Are you fasting, on top of this diet change or has your nutrient intake hugely decreased so body is in lock down, or near lock down? @tigerrunfree?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Pretty much living on fresh air as it is

You should be eating "meat that looks like meat", "fish that looks like fish", cheese, "above ground veg", lots of eggs, and olives. The best option is to cook all food yourself, then you have complete control over what is added to it.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told fruit is good,
I know its all very confusing at the start.

OK very basic understanding of our condition. :bookworm:
  1. Our body can't handle sugar.
  2. Muscles are Insulin Resistant.
  3. Liver is clogged with too much fat
1. Stop eating sugar. and reduce carbohydrates, will lower blood sugar. Job Done.
2. Exercise will reduce IR in muscles. Job Done.
3. 1 + 2 will lead to weight loss which will drain the liver of fat. Job Done.
1+2+ 3 = Diabetes is now reversed. Job Done.

Why is fruit bad?
Your body splits fruit in to 2 forms of sugar about 50% it sent round you body to be absorbed by muscles and the other 50% is sent to your liver to deal with puts a lot of extra work on our livers.

Food is not the enemy.;)
Check out this website for loads of good advice on what to eat when your going low carb.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

I know your feeling despondent with the information overload it's easy to become overwhelmed.:banghead:
Remember we all started some where and you have already made good steps in the right direction. No sugar and eating less carbs that was your choice. You did that and you have lost 2 stone already don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for that. :smug:

Now you have an even better understanding of your condition and how it can be reversed and a website with people who understand and what you to succeed. :joyful:

Plus the dietdoctor.com to help you pick the foods you like to eat that are low carb,
Not the other way around eat low carb food that you don't like.
That's just crazy. ;)
:bag:

tigerrunfree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The symptoms you describe could be diabetes related but not necessarily. As others have indicated you need to have an idea of where your blood sugars are at and how they are reacting to different foods in order to understand what is going on diabetese wise. Meters and test strips can be expensive but the Tee2 meter is free from spirit healthcare and comes with 10 strips, you can order more at £7.75 for 50. There is a small charge for the codefree but the strips are slightly cheaper. Even if you only use the 10 free strips its better than nothing although far from optimal
Using a meter and strips allows you to carry out tests which show how your individual body reacts to different foods and to then make adjustments that work for you and make any necessary adjustments to your diet

Will give this a go. Thanks

tigerrunfree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree. More like high bgs as Metformin barely touches the surface of high bgs.
Also nutrients like iron deficiency and vitd3 insuffiency, like me maybe. B12 can be effected by metformin but not this soon. Dramatic change to diet can stress the vessels and muscle glucose becomes starved on some diets, hence no energy as muscles need alot to power us, especially if big like me. Insulin resistance will reverse within a month but it can return once eating large amounts again.

Sounds like muscles need what stores you have left first so have gone into economy drive. Your body thinks your being starved. Are you fasting, on top of this diet change or has your nutrient intake hugely decreased so body is in lock down, or near lock down? @tigerrunfree?
Think maybe I have cut down on food intake too much - compared to what I used to eat anyway!!! Would say I am eating approx. a quarter - although my diet was absolutely disgraceful :(

tigerrunfree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know its all very confusing at the start.

OK very basic understanding of our condition. :bookworm:
  1. Our body can't handle sugar.
  2. Muscles are Insulin Resistant.
  3. Liver is clogged with too much fat
1. Stop eating sugar. and reduce carbohydrates, will lower blood sugar. Job Done.
2. Exercise will reduce IR in muscles. Job Done.
3. 1 + 2 will lead to weight loss which will drain the liver of fat. Job Done.
1+2+ 3 = Diabetes is now reversed. Job Done.

Why is fruit bad?
Your body splits fruit in to 2 forms of sugar about 50% it sent round you body to be absorbed by muscles and the other 50% is sent to your liver to deal with puts a lot of extra work on our livers.

Food is not the enemy.;)
Check out this website for loads of good advice on what to eat when your going low carb.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

I know your feeling despondent with the information overload it's easy to become overwhelmed.:banghead:
Remember we all started some where and you have already made good steps in the right direction. No sugar and eating less carbs that was your choice. You did that and you have lost 2 stone already don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for that. :smug:

Now you have an even better understanding of your condition and how it can be reversed and a website with people who understand and what you to succeed. :joyful:

Plus the dietdoctor.com to help you pick the foods you like to eat that are low carb,
Not the other way around eat low carb food that you don't like.
That's just crazy. ;)

Wow!!! Thank you for this. Makes so much sense and takes away the fear with food. I will definitely look at the Dietdoctor and have ordered a strip kit too so fingers crossed xx
Thank you so much xx

Reactions: ickihun

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think maybe I have cut down on food intake too much - compared to what I used to eat anyway!!! Would say I am eating approx. a quarter
There is a thing called carb withdrawal. Just like with a junkie going cold turkey. :bookworm:

Carbs are basicly sugar and sugar is more addictive than cocaine. So if you cut them down too fast your body punishes you for it.

"lightheadedness, blurry vision, fatigue, nausea"
These symptoms could all be attributed to withdrawl if you cut down on the carbs too fast. Happened to me lasted about 2 weeks, not pleasant. :meh:

IF you think this might be the cause of you feeling so bad, simply eat some carbs tonight. It's not going to kill you, just up them a little bit over the next couple of days see if these symptoms disappear.

IF they do, then cut back on the carbs again but do it at a slower pace over the space of a week or 2, this will give you body time to adjust and it's not such a shock to the system.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

tigerrunfree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Armed with that very basic understanding and chatting with people on here I reversed my diabetes in about 8 weeks.

My numbers were worse than yours @tigerrunfree :p
So don't give up hope.;)

OMG seriously????????? Heard it can happen. I've got a blood test end of May so, armed with what I know now, fingers crossed xxxx
Thanks again xx

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG seriously????????? Heard it can happen.
Sure there are plenty of people on here who have reversed there diabetes.

If you have 20 mins to spare this is a video by Dr Michael Mosley who wrote a book "The Blood Sugar Diet" showing how it is possible to do this in as little as 8 weeks or less. He tells how he reversed his condition and recommends going on a Low Carb diet crash .

For me I decided IF I could do this in 8 weeks on a crash diet, then why not just have a better diet and do it in 10 or 12 weeks as long as I get there in the end what does a week or two matter. ;)

(if the link does not play, add blocker can play havoc with it sometimes, put Michael Mosley @5x15 Blood Sugar into YouTube)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Think maybe I have cut down on food intake too much - compared to what I used to eat anyway!!! Would say I am eating approx. a quarter - although my diet was absolutely disgraceful :(
Don't go back to your poor diet. Continue your hard work but add multivitamind+iron. Drink plenty of water.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@tigerrunfree

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @tigerrunfree how are you feeling today?
I imagine you were able to to put your mind at ease yesterday and got a good nights sleep, its amazing how a good nights sleep can lower blood sugar levels.
The world should seem like a brighter place. ;)

tigerrunfree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tigerrunfree how are you feeling today?
I imagine you were able to to put your mind at ease yesterday and got a good nights sleep, its amazing how a good nights sleep can lower blood sugar levels.
The world should seem like a brighter place. ;)

Hiya.

Feeling a bit better about things thanks. Went to GP today re symptoms - I am badly iron deficient :( At least that made me feel better about things too. Also explains why I've felt so awful.
Thank you again for all your help. I'm still 'frazzled', but getting there xxx

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least that made me feel better about things too.
Isn't it amazing the difference a day can make.
I'm a big fan of getting the nutrients we need from food, I eat spinach in stead of lettuce, because it's a good source of Iron. It's astounding the effect food can have on us.:bookworm:

Keep coming back and asking questions you will find loads of people with a wealth of
knowledge and experience to share.;)

Reactions: tigerrunfree