advice please

orsinosouth

having been a type 2 diabetic now for nearly a year,I would like your advice on the way to go forward.when first diagnosed my count was 21.my doctor put me on 3 Metformin 500mg a day,my count went down to between 7 to 8,so I was told to take a forth to keep it under 7.since then in the last 6 months I gave up alcohol,my choice,then 2 months ago after reading the forum I went on a low carb. diet and lost 23lbs.my count has now dropped to between 4.4 & 5.0 very good I think.I know I should ask my doctor this but all of you have seemed to have helped more so here goes.I was thinking to cut my Metformin down to 2 a day for a while and see how my count goes,the last time I had a full blood test at the hospital about 3 months ago I was 6.7 and my doctor was happy with that.so my question is what is better a lower count on 4 tablets or a slightly higher one on two as long as I stay under 6.7.PLEASE WHICH IS BETTER FOR MY BODY IN THE LONG RUN

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a Type 2 your fasting levels should be between 4 - 7 mmol/l and 2 Hrs after meals no more than 8.5 mmol/l many if us prefer lower after meal readings. I prefer to stay below 7 if I can after every meal.

You don't say when your 'count' is taken ? Is this a fasting reading ?

Your HbA 1c is fine if that is your target level, again many here, myself included, prefer it lower. It is only an average and will hide any highs or lows throughout the 3 month period it covers.

I would be more interested in the post meal levels before making a comment about your Medication, however any adjustments to Medication should be discussed with your HCP before doing anything.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
In my opinion the most important is keeping your BS low, the tests you do only show the BS levels at the time of testing not the in between times, only the hospital test can do that. Discuss it with your doctor or care team before you change anything

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The Hba1c only shows an average over 90 days it is an indicator of the trend up or down of your blood sugar levels, as Cugila said.

The regular frequent daily testing of blood picks up the highs after meals, any lows and also any 'spikes' which may occur. This is very important to a new diabetic as it shows how those foods are affecting your blood glucose levels. The regular testing as a new diabetic before meals, one hour and two hours after meals ( or more depending on what you have eaten)is vital to educate and gain knowledge about your own diabetes and how to control it.

Within a 3 month period, on the wrong diet, your Hba1c could rise very sharply. Daily testing shows you how to keep those levels down by knowing which foods are the right foods for you to eat to control those levels.