Advice/tips needed for a newbie!

Ellistr01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’ve recently been given the go ahead yesterday to start on insulin pump therapy in just under 4 weeks time! This is something that I’ve always wanted but not ever been able to test one or hold one it was just simply to see what to expect on the actual day of the pump fitting and the week or so afterwards? Also if there’s is any cool nick nack shops for accs for the pump online? That would be much appreciated!

Thanks Tom :)

Reactions: porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Ellistr01 That's good news :)

Do you know which pump ?

If you do then have a hunt around on Ebay as there are some stickers/pump belts/pouches you can buy, I just have a pump belt for mine which makes it comfortable to wear around my waist and helps with sleep too so it's kept in the belt neat.

You may be started on Saline before insulin to get used to pump settings and understanding ratios, it's quite an easy transition to make, just keep a good dialogue with your team for adjusting ratios, in time you'll do this yourself, also look up youtube vids on your pump too to see how other users manage with theirs.

Ellistr01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Ellistr01 That's good news :)

Do you know which pump ?

If you do then have a hunt around on Ebay as there are some stickers/pump belts/pouches you can buy, I just have a pump belt for mine which makes it comfortable to wear around my waist and helps with sleep too so it's kept in the belt neat.

You may be started on Saline before insulin to get used to pump settings and understanding ratios, it's quite an easy transition to make, just keep a good dialogue with your team for adjusting ratios, in time you'll do this yourself, also look up youtube vids on your pump too to see how other users manage with theirs.

Hi thanks for the reply! I do know the pump I’m getting it’s the accu chek insight! I will certainly have a look around now thank you for the advice! And I also thought I’d be started on saline from reading previous stories on here but the letter says to only take half of my basal pen the night before as I will be on the pump for the does at lunchtime. So who knows? Haha sure I’ll find out in 4 weeks thank you again!

Reactions: porl69

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ellistr01 sounds very much like your going to start on day one with pump. A lot of us do rather than saline.

As for storage, I have a neck loop to hang my pump from ((useful when wearing tee shirts), a belt clip (only used once), a body band (hardly every used), an arm band (hardly ever used). I mostly keep mine in a short sleeved shirt breast pocket.

I bought all mine some years ago and dont have all the details but found them by searching on the web.

Reactions: Ellistr01

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently on an omnipod(3 months now) but will soon be going 640g hopefully may/june time I have decided to use the case for my accuchek mobile (which has a belt loop) as I really don't trust my self with a plastic clip so will use that when I have jeans on and have been given some pump belts which I will use for sleep and when I carnt use a belt also my initial appointment was a one on one with the pump rep and because I have been obsessed with getting a pump for years I did my research on the pump I was given and the one I wanted if the pump didn't cause pain like my pens did luckily I have been fine with the pump but because I had done my research my sdsn decided I could cope with going live straight away apart from a few teeth g problems with highs and lows due to the basel rate I was fine I was an easy transition for me I still surprised how easy I found it what ever happens try to take it one step at a time and not get frustrated with the results the first few weeks like I say I've had it three month and am still learning and adjusting

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have been on a pump for 2 months. Like you I was keen to learn as much as possible before hand. Alas the best learning aide is experience. I'm on the Medtronic 640g and love it.

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
Hi there. im also on the Accu-Chek Insight, i started in July 2017. Its really simple to use and when they start you up they should give you all the details you need. You can order a case to carry it around with you. the one i use just clips onto your belt or the waist band of your trousers. They have a few different options to choose from or you can look here https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/insulin-pumps/insight . If you want to know anything else feel free to ask me :) Hope it works out for you, done wonders for me.

Reactions: Ellistr01

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I’ve recently been given the go ahead yesterday to start on insulin pump therapy in just under 4 weeks time! This is something that I’ve always wanted but not ever been able to test one or hold one it was just simply to see what to expect on the actual day of the pump fitting and the week or so afterwards? Also if there’s is any cool nick nack shops for accs for the pump online? That would be much appreciated!

Thanks Tom :)
Hi @Ellistr01, Exciting times! I have been using the fabulous Insight pump for four weeks and LOVE it! I didn't have to use saline first. I had a half dose of background the night before and was up and running within an hour of my appointment. I'm female and may have different needs, but I bought two belts from Hid-In, there are extra small ones specifically for the Insight. I also bought some cute carry cases for my handset because I hate the one that Roche provide, that might be a bit of a girly thing though! Good luck, it is my first pump after 39 years of MDI and I love it, it's still very early days but control is so much better.
Christine