1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by AnnBlanking, Jul 15, 2016.

1. AnnBlanking

AnnBlanking Type 2 · Newbie

I am a type II diabetic. Over the past few days I have had great trouble controlling my blood sugar levels. They are consistently high in the high 20s mmol/l. The meter is also reading 'high' on quite a few occasions. I have recently been suffering from what I assumed was a Summer cold. Advice please!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is your type 2 diabetes treated with insulin?

Grant

3. carraway

carraway Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

What levels would you normally expect to see? Have you been eating anything different? Any change of medication? It's not unusual for blood sugar to go off balance if unwell. Are you sure the meter is working? Test strips ok?

4. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's probably worth also be worth asking @AnnBlanking how long she has been a diabetic and how well the blood sugars have been until this point?

@AnnBlanking, you're really not wanting BGL's that high for a prolonged period of time, in fact - at all.

If you read these replies and you've not got your blood sugars back in range - I'd head straight to your GP/nearest clinic to get seen to. Not to scare you, but at thoses levels you're in real danger of DKA and other nasty problems which you really don't want to be part of.

Hope to hear from you soon and take care.
    Grant

5. magsiesss

magsiesss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What you should be doing if your meter reads "high" ... is phoning 111 and asking for immediate advice

6. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@AnnBlanking - Hello. Drink plenty of water it helps to flush out your system and stabilise glucose in the bloodstream. :) When you are ill your body makes hormones to fight illness, those same hormones raise blood sugars. Which is why you need to test blood sugars more.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook