Type 1 Advice!

06smg02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!
I’m a newly diagnosed (8 weeks ago) T1 and I’m wondering how everyone is going to deal with Christmas?
Christmas Day is a feeling bit daunting at the moment. We are having a big family Christmas this year and I am the only T1 diabetic in the family. With everyone eating everything is sight how do you all cope with not being able to do that? Also what are the best things for me to eat so I don’t have to worry about my BG levels goof sky high!!
Thanks in advance for any advance!
Sarah xx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, as a type 1 you should hopefully be able to adjust your insulin doses to accomodate Christmas treats - other T1s ( @Caterpillar? ) should be able to advise you.

... As a diet controlled T2 I just have to make sure that I restrict my sight to everything I'm able to eat without causing myself any problematic rises. :wideyed::bag::bag::D

Happy eating,
Robbity

Reactions: Granny_grump_

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@06
Hi!
I’m a newly diagnosed (8 weeks ago) T1 and I’m wondering how everyone is going to deal with Christmas?
Christmas Day is a feeling bit daunting at the moment. We are having a big family Christmas this year and I am the only T1 diabetic in the family. With everyone eating everything is sight how do you all cope with not being able to do that? Also what are the best things for me to eat so I don’t have to worry about my BG levels goof sky high!!
Thanks in advance for any advance!
Sarah xx

What insulin are you on? Are you carb counting?

There's no reason a type 1 diabetic can't eat everything in sight just like everyone else. Obviously, eating everything in sight is going to have the same unhealthy consequences for us as it will for everyone else. It is also more likely to have a deleterious impact on blood sugar management, but a bit of planning and pre bolusing and being a bit more sensible with food choices - ie avoid fast acting sugar snacks through the day, bolus for pudding as part of the meal - should mean Christmas is just the same. There's no "not being able to do that" because of type 1. It's only a day, one day without perfect blood sugars isn't going to hurt.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Catapillar says, you should be able to eat anything you want and just increase the Bolus? It may be you haven't yet been taught to carb-count. This is dead easy and if you have time this week (!) see if the DN can guide you. We could give you details but probably not good for us to do that. Google the web and you will find advice on how to start if not already carb-counting. Use the meter as usual to avoid hypos.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You just need to approach it with a little bit more thought is all...........

test regularly and dose up as best you can in advance, if you can.....

and be prepared for hypos, which may happen from insulin stacking and of course alcohol consumption.....

its doesn't always work out, in fact for me, it never works out perfectly, but its important to enjoy life too....

Reactions: Sobo82

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Fogive me hijacking your thread;
I'm seeing my diabetes nurse this week to ask the same question.

I'm on a twice daily insulin regimen at the moment, so I'm not sure how to increase the insulin for the xmas carb-fest.