Advice

Paul Varney

IMG_1574.jpg

Have slowly built my fasting

Has anyone gone over a few days and how did it go ?

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds
M

Member496333

48h is the longest I recall, but I’m built like a whippet and my body doesn’t like giving up fat, so it makes me eat fairly quickly. If I’m lifting weights (most days now) then I have no hope of even doing 24h without chewing my own arm off. I now just extend my fast to lunchtime on most days and don’t eat after 19:00.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve done one 10 day and one six day fast on bone broth and a bit of cream in my coffee.
I fast every day on my current carnivore and OMAD WOE.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm on the 18:6 and have no plans to go for longer fasts. (Thanks to Dr Jason Fung for explaining why I need to fast.) I'm in for the long haul when it comes to burning body fat. I dirty fast with cream in my coffee, to keep what little insulin I have present for the next time I eat, otherwise, my sugars go sky-high. My morning sugars have just begun to normalise after 4 weeks of fasting. Good luck with the longer fasts. Wishing you courage.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done 3 or 4 7 day fasts over the years.. well those are my fasts with coffee and cream, tea with milk and sometimes bone broth with butter as aids. They're ok and help with dramatic lowering of blood sugar levels, raising ketone production and geting through weight loss stalls but these days I find them a bit boring. However trying to lose those last few pounds while eatingi s proving a bit harder than I had hoped so maybe a few more extended fasts will help...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One Meal a Day, Way of Eating :D

Ta Jim.

I wouldn’t call what I eat a meal though!
I’m currently resetting myself and hoping to lose the final bit of weight that has always clung on that will get my blood pressure back to normal so that means not a lot of food.

Reactions: Paul Varney

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my 20s I did several longer fasts - water only. 7, 10 and 10 days, if I remember correctly.
Thought they were a breeze! Couldn't understand why everyone around me thought I was eccentric and killing myself, and so on.
It was a lot less effort than eating, and I felt great. lol.

Now, in my 50s, my body is MUCH less comfortable with extended fasting.
I regularly do 16 hrs fasting, 8 hours not, and the odd 24, but fasting the second night always leads to my body playing silly *******.
I have decided to listen to it. :D
I believe it is something to do with insulin resistance levels, and my body being extremely unwilling to access my copious fat stores. But that is just a theory.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in my 50s and very overweight, and fasting has helped me a lot. It's the one way of eating that seems it could be sustainable for me.

My body seems to like extended fasting, I don't get too low with blood sugars and I always feel terrific. My problem is my sugar addict brain, and lapsing with both food types and eating patterns between fasts.

Reactions: Prem51

Walshaw1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ert, on the subject of fasting what is 18/6?
Also who is Dr Fung?
Thanks in advance

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
18/6 is 18 hours of fasting and a 6 hour window to eat all your daily food. It allows your pancreas to rest and insulin levels to fall. A significant tool in the restoring insulin sensitivity and weight loss battle

Dr Jason Fung is a nephrologist. And more importantly also a guru in low carb eating in relation to diabetes and obesity. He has books, YouTube’s articles etc. Very well respected.

Reactions: AloeSvea