1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Advice

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Paul Varney, May 29, 2019.

1. Paul Varney

Paul Varney · Member

IMG_1574.jpg

Have slowly built my fasting

Has anyone gone over a few days and how did it go ?

• Like Like x 2
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@bulkbiker i know you’re not the only one but you spring to mind

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

48h is the longest I recall, but I’m built like a whippet and my body doesn’t like giving up fat, so it makes me eat fairly quickly. If I’m lifting weights (most days now) then I have no hope of even doing 24h without chewing my own arm off. I now just extend my fast to lunchtime on most days and don’t eat after 19:00.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve done one 10 day and one six day fast on bone broth and a bit of cream in my coffee.
    I fast every day on my current carnivore and OMAD WOE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on the 18:6 and have no plans to go for longer fasts. (Thanks to Dr Jason Fung for explaining why I need to fast.) I'm in for the long haul when it comes to burning body fat. I dirty fast with cream in my coffee, to keep what little insulin I have present for the next time I eat, otherwise, my sugars go sky-high. My morning sugars have just begun to normalise after 4 weeks of fasting. Good luck with the longer fasts. Wishing you courage.

• Like Like x 3
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I've done 3 or 4 7 day fasts over the years.. well those are my fasts with coffee and cream, tea with milk and sometimes bone broth with butter as aids. They're ok and help with dramatic lowering of blood sugar levels, raising ketone production and geting through weight loss stalls but these days I find them a bit boring. However trying to lose those last few pounds while eatingi s proving a bit harder than I had hoped so maybe a few more extended fasts will help...

• Like Like x 3
  7. Paul Varney

Paul Varney · Member

Hi
    Can you please let me know what OMAD WOE IS

8. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One Meal a Day, Way of Eating :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ta Jim.

I wouldn’t call what I eat a meal though!
    I’m currently resetting myself and hoping to lose the final bit of weight that has always clung on that will get my blood pressure back to normal so that means not a lot of food.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

In my 20s I did several longer fasts - water only. 7, 10 and 10 days, if I remember correctly.
    Thought they were a breeze! Couldn't understand why everyone around me thought I was eccentric and killing myself, and so on.
    It was a lot less effort than eating, and I felt great. lol.

Now, in my 50s, my body is MUCH less comfortable with extended fasting.
    I regularly do 16 hrs fasting, 8 hours not, and the odd 24, but fasting the second night always leads to my body playing silly *******.
    I have decided to listen to it. :D
    I believe it is something to do with insulin resistance levels, and my body being extremely unwilling to access my copious fat stores. But that is just a theory.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm in my 50s and very overweight, and fasting has helped me a lot. It's the one way of eating that seems it could be sustainable for me.

My body seems to like extended fasting, I don't get too low with blood sugars and I always feel terrific. My problem is my sugar addict brain, and lapsing with both food types and eating patterns between fasts.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook