Advise Needed

silentman

Hi Everyone

This is my first post on the forum, I am looking for advise on how to approach what to me is a worrying and difficult time.

Following an appointment I had with my practice nurse in November last year regarding an unrelated issue she asked me was I aware that my blood sugar results from August 2017(41 mmol )where close to pre diabetes level, I wasn’t aware of this and at the time hadn’t realised how serious it could be, I was advised to take more exercise and to loose weight with no advise regarding diet. A test carried out at that time showed no change from the August 2107 results

Since then I have lost around 30lb achieved by limiting calories and exercising which due to my age (78) consisted of nothing more strenuous than walking everywhere when possible I am active for my age and reasonably fit

6 months later at the beginning June I requested a HBA1C test only to find it had increased to 43. This last week I started a Diabetes Prevention Programme and was asked to provide up to date test results, I had a another test which show a further increase to 44, so despite all my efforts things have got worse.

I have made charges to my diet which have increased my carb intake which are currently around 150/200 a day, I wasn’t aware I should be reducing them, would this account for the increase and what can I do to stop it going any higher, I have an appointment with my practice nurse next week is there anything I should be asking her as I’m at my wits end with worry.

Thanks in advance for any advice there is so much to take in

Reactions: Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

This is my first post on the forum, I am looking for advise on how to approach what to me is a worrying and difficult time.

Following an appointment I had with my practice nurse in November last year regarding an unrelated issue she asked me was I aware that my blood sugar results from August 2017(41 mmol )where close to pre diabetes level, I wasn’t aware of this and at the time hadn’t realised how serious it could be, I was advised to take more exercise and to loose weight with no advise regarding diet. A test carried out at that time showed no change from the August 2107 results

Since then I have lost around 30lb achieved by limiting calories and exercising which due to my age (78) consisted of nothing more strenuous than walking everywhere when possible I am active for my age and reasonably fit

6 months later at the beginning June I requested a HBA1C test only to find it had increased to 43. This last week I started a Diabetes Prevention Programme and was asked to provide up to date test results, I had a another test which show a further increase to 44, so despite all my efforts things have got worse.

I have made charges to my diet which have increased my carb intake which are currently around 150/200 a day, I wasn’t aware I should be reducing them, would this account for the increase and what can I do to stop it going any higher, I have an appointment with my practice nurse next week is there anything I should be asking her as I’m at my wits end with worry.

Hi.

I only dropped out of the Prediabetes range by eating far less carbs than I had been. I restrict my carb intake to less then 130 grams a day. That solved things for me. I also upped the fats a good bit too.

Reactions: silentman

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Hi Silentman, my heart goes out to you, I was also at my wits end when I found this forum, but people on here have been so kind and supportive and given me such good advice that I'm feeling calm and in control again and am well on my way to remission.
Like @Listlad I agree that it's probably those 150/200g of carbs that has contributed to your increased Hba1c and as soon as you cut that number down you will begin to see improvements. (I'm on 30g a day).
I know it's a stressful time with so much new info to take in, but just take one step at a time. The best thing is that you found this forum. All my best wishes to you.

Reactions: silentman

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:
Reactions: SimonCrox

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are motivated,intelligent and well informed.Spot on,cut those carbs and I will bet you will see those numbers head right on down.
You answered your own question,well done on the steps so far too!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

Yeah, it's the carbs... Ditch those, up the good fats and protein, and you'll see a drop happen. If you get yourself a meter you can see exactly where you are, rather than having to wait months or half a year for a HbA1c to find out how you're doing. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help.

You'll be okay, now that you know what the problem is. :)
Jo

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it incomprehensible that someone is told their label - type two diabetes, but then there is no explanation that it is all about the inability to cope with carbohydrates. So you were left with no means to do anything to help yourself.
Your Hba1c indicates that your blood glucose levels, on average, have been a little higher than advisable for slightly longer than is good for you.
I'm afraid that you might find that you need to cut back quite a lot to restore normal readings - though that might not be a permanent requirement.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from another oldie who's just creeping up to a rather inactive 77. I now do very little exercise and I reduced my weight and cut my glucose levels down from well and truly diabetic to pre-diabetic levels over a couple of months simply by cutting right down on carbs, and as I've always eaten full fat foods upped these a little to balance the reduction in carbs. Over the past 5 and a half years my HbA1c has varied between 40 and 43, with a couple of bumps up to 45 when I've been poorly ,in pain, or stressed. As long as I keep within this range I'm happy and so is my GP, so I don't think you're doing too badly at all, but it is definitely worth cutting down on the carbs a bit more to stop any more upward creeps.

Just take things steady and TRY NOT TO STRESS too much - I find this can create more havoc with my glucose levels than eating a few too many carbs... And remember your pancreas (like mine) has worked hard for you for over three quarters of a century, which is pretty good going, so allow it just a little leeway!

Robbity

ETA Get yourself a glucose meter and test strips and then you can see what foods are best (or worst!) for keeping your glucose levels where you want them.