Advised To Eat Carbs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too - for decades, shouted at screamed at threatened even - some people get really upset that I not only don't want to get fat, I don't actually like carbs.
Humans have no need for carbs in their diet, except to counteract an overenthusiastic amount of injected insulin.

Reactions: kitedoc

Geoffno6

I had a meeting Roth my DN today. She said it was remarkable and amazing that my Hba1c had gone from 126 to 67 since the end of June. I explained that I feel like I’ve run out of steam and lost as much weight as I can and I’m too skinny. She said to eat carbs.

Geoffno6

Since last weekend I feel like I’ve run out of energy and even walking feels like hard work, so, this evening on my DN’s advice I’ve had pasta, wine, a pint of beer (1st since June) ice cream (1st since June) and my BG is 7.4 (lowest for 48 hours) all very confusing

Reactions: kitedoc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a meeting Roth my DN today. She said it was remarkable and amazing that my Hba1c had gone from 126 to 67 since the end of June. I explained that I feel like I’ve run out of steam and lost as much weight as I can and I’m too skinny. She said to eat carbs.

What, eat carbs and undo the fantastic work you’ve done on halving your HbA1c?!

Since last weekend I feel like I’ve run out of energy and even walking feels like hard work, so, this evening on my DN’s advice I’ve had pasta, wine, a pint of beer (1st since June) ice cream (1st since June) and my BG is 7.4 (lowest for 48 hours) all very confusing

Don’t be fooled by this evening’s results, the alcohol may well have helped keep you blood sugars lower than expected but they may jump up later.
Healthy fats are a better way than carbs to supply energy and stop weight loss.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The normal reaction to consuming carbs is for insulin to be released, and if you have got back to normal, then you should see the usual response to it.
When low carbing had you been eating fats and proteins to replace the lost calories? Weighloss and lack of energy would seem to imply that you had not.

M

Moggely

Pasta, ice-cream, wine ext ext would have been the end of me i'm sure. Still i haven't tried it and not planning to either. I get tired a lot as well but i really think i'm not having enough calories as i eat only twice a day and they are not big meals. When ever i have 3 meals a day i feel better so it's a work in progress i feel. Agree with all the comments up above though.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe by losing weight your insulin sensitivity has improved.
You can get away with some carbs now where you could not before.
But as others have said there are more than one way to gain some weight.
Maybe seeing a dietitian could help you. NHS do endorse low carb diets.

Geoffno6

Thanks for the replies. I’m sober again today after being tipsy last night, for the 1st time in months. My BG of 8.7 at 8am was the same as usual. I’ve been eating fairly big meals for months low carb but lots of cream, fatty meat, eggs, fish, nuts etc so I’ve tried to replace the missing carby calories with meaty/fatty calories.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
has your insulin been reduced to reflect the lowering of your HbA1c?