Affect of dates on blood glucose

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a very interesting study. What do you guys conclude? I think that taking dates/raisin/sugar snack containing 15g of carbs 2 hours after a breakfast and not affecting blood glucose is probably because they had some already secreted insulin levels after their breakfast that helped remove the spike? or its because they are still producing some insulin because their diabetes is not old and their a1c is in pretty good range?

http://nfsr.sbmu.ac.ir/article-1-59-fa.pdf

I am doing this research because i want to add some carbs that are not empty calories and have some other nutrient benefits and I chose the dates to try with so was just reading what the science says. Even though i read some forum discussions that dates did spike their blood glucose. So far, for me, its working fine in terms of BG spike (though i am still a little concerned how its acting on insulin levels)

This is another study to strengthen the theory: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3112406/

The below screenshots are self explanatory but you can read the full study too.

upload_2021-10-19_11-51-16.png

upload_2021-10-19_11-50-40.png

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at those results pure sugar would be just as useful (or not).

Odd that they primed the participants with a carby breakfast then gave medication then more carbs... and such a shame they didn't measure the spike from the breakfast either. Or try without meds.. pretty pointless exercise.

i want to add some carbs that are not empty calories and have some other nutrient benefits

What nutrients do you think you are missing..? Dried fruits are unlikely to be the best source of them anyway.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had two boiled eggs, 25 gms of cheddar and one Madjoul this morning (24 gms - 18 gm carbs) for testing and at 2 hours (where i peak max) i was at 6.2 mmol. My fasting is normally 5.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had two boiled eggs, 25 gms of cheddar and one Madjoul this morning (24 gms - 18 gm carbs) for testing and at 2 hours (where i peak max) i was at 6.2 mmol. My fasting is normally 5.
What were you at pre food?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a very interesting study. What do you guys conclude? I think that taking dates/raisin/sugar snack containing 15g of carbs 2 hours after a breakfast and not affecting blood glucose is probably because they had some already secreted insulin levels after their breakfast that helped remove the spike? or its because they are still producing some insulin because their diabetes is not old and their a1c is in pretty good range?

http://nfsr.sbmu.ac.ir/article-1-59-fa.pdf

I am doing this research because i want to add some carbs that are not empty calories and have some other nutrient benefits and I chose the dates to try with so was just reading what the science says. Even though i read some forum discussions that dates did spike their blood glucose. So far, for me, its working fine in terms of BG spike (though i am still a little concerned how its acting on insulin levels)

This is another study to strengthen the theory: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3112406/

The below screenshots are self explanatory but you can read the full study too.

View attachment 51646
View attachment 51645

Thanks
It would have been more helpful to not give the glucophage, as it may well have masked a rise. We don't see the true story.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read the title of the thread and thought you were referring to a dinner/cinema/drink with a partner :)
I am sure that could affect your blood sugars if you were nervous

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the title of the thread and thought you were referring to a dinner/cinema/drink with a partner :)
I am sure that could affect your blood sugars if you were nervous
Well in its plural context, it must :D

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find Dates behave very strange and perfectly in the same breath.

I use them part of my fuelling strategy on longer than 3 hour endurance events.

I find they tend to have slow onset, (fructose via liver path presume) and do not spike if you in a endurance event.

Circa 1 date ~ 15 gram carb every 1 Hrs while competing.

The funny part that can still be pretty low carb for a day of a 8 Hour event still under 120 Grams

Reactions: finsit

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder did thay account for the arsenic content and it's effect on insulin secretion as arsenic induces glucose intolerance through a disruption of beta-cell function that alters normal stimulus-secretion coupling Many toxins found in food appart from the sugar content alone can effect blood sugar levels. Just a thought

Reactions: finsit

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just trying to add 1 or 2 dates a day after 14 hours fast just to refill glycogen reserves, i hope it wont raise much of insulin. So far on 5 different occasions, it did not affect my BG.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally try not to over think things if you eat to your meter and dates don't spike you to unacceptable levels then have some just one thing are you talkin fresh dates or dried fuit as it may make a difference. Why worry about glycogen reserves when as a diabetic you alresdy have more than sufficient sugar circulating in your system.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally try not to over think things if you eat to your meter and dates don't spike you to unacceptable levels then have some just one thing are you talkin fresh dates or dried fuit as it may make a difference. Why worry about glycogen reserves when as a diabetic you alresdy have more than sufficient sugar circulating in your system.
My God! it must have taken you half a century to post over 11k messages :)
My sugar levels are quite low most of the time, so i don't think i have a lot of stored glycogen. I eat very low carb and i am active physically. My last meal is about 6 and next after 10 am and by that time, my sugar can dip close to 4 which makes me believe i will not have much of glycogen left by that time. But regardless, i have sweet tooth and i used to eat keto sweets homemade with heavy creams, but it seems my genes don't like dairy fats, LDL soared, so i need to stop that. I am also trying to get rid of sweeteners (just primal thing). So I was thinking couple dates as a best alternative...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My God! it must have taken you half a century to post over 11k messages :)
My sugar levels are quite low most of the time, so i don't think i have a lot of stored glycogen. I eat very low carb and i am active physically. My last meal is about 6 and next after 10 am and by that time, my sugar can dip close to 4 which makes me believe i will not have much of glycogen left by that time. But regardless, i have sweet tooth and i used to eat keto sweets homemade with heavy creams, but it seems my genes don't like dairy fats, LDL soared, so i need to stop that. I am also trying to get rid of sweeteners (just primal thing). So I was thinking couple dates as a best alternative...

I've been here a while but not quite that long.

Carbs are not neccessary in your diet the body including the liver can do quite well without them the liver can produce all the glucose it needs.

If you have a sweet tooth and you like dates which don't seem to have a detrimental effect on your blood sugars then by all meens include them in your diet once in a while as always it is a matter of personal preference :)

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been here a while but not quite that long.

Carbs are not neccessary in your diet the body including the liver can do quite well without them the liver can produce all the glucose it needs.

If you have a sweet tooth and you like dates which don't seem to have a detrimental effect on your blood sugars then by all meens include them in your diet once in a while as always it is a matter of personal preference :)
Yes in fact a whole bunch of sweet teeth rather, or i wouldn't end up here lol...

Reactions: JohnEGreen