Affects of general anaesthetic on levels

Blissfool

Hi

Des anyone hav any idea about the length of time blood glucose levels are likely to be affected by having a general anaesthetic? My son was under general for over and hour nearly two weeks ago (was told 20 minute but there y go...). Befor he had the dental surgery, he had really great levels, managing mostly to stay within the target range, from about2 weeks after diagnosis. Snce surgery, they have been pretty much consistently in double figures, except yesterday, when they were constantly in the 2-4 range! Mind you, he had been sledging the day befor, so that might be why. He is on a pump and all his carefully worked ut basal rates seem to be back to front now too and he seems to need much more insulin. Before, he was on tiny amounts.

I am wondering if this is the affect of the anaesthtetic still being in his body, and if so, when will it start rturningto "normal" or if, perhaps, the stress of the surgery and shock of the removal of most his teeth (unnecessarily - complaint ensuing) has brought his "honeymoon" period to a rapid end? Diabetes "support" team haven't even bothered to follow up his surgery, even though i phoned to say he wasnt eating etc. and failed to give us correct information regarding pre op preparation, so am not holding put hope for their advice.

sugar2

Poor little chap! I really feel for him.

I do not know teh answer to your question, but can share my experience of GA. Yes, I did have raised BG levels post surgery...but I put it down to the fact that my body was in "fight" mode. It is a well know thing, that illness raises BG...and I assumed that the recovery after the attack of surgery lead to a similar situation. For me, raising my background rates (at the time levinir) by aboiut 20% helped, but I wouldn't say "cured" the situation. I have to say though, I did this, with the knowledge that I was going to have to test like there was no tomorrow...easy for a 25 year old...not so easy with a 2 year old.

I really can't believe that your diabetic care team are not helping more!

All the very best to you and your son.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Awww ... poor little boy
I cannot offer any words about the after effects of anaesthetic, but I do know that the stress of a wound or an infection and certainly both combined will cause elevated levels. How long these will stay high will probably depend on the individual.
I suggest you get straight on to you PCT to get the care team sorted out and give your son the care he needs without delay, because the DO have a legal duty of care that are not acting on!

annettekp

Hi

Don't know about a general anaesthetic but Erland's levels are still all over the place from his nasty bug a month ago. Our DSN says that little people's levels can be upset by so little but take ages to return to normal (whatever that is). We've had to keep increasing the insulin and give extra correction injections.

I would hassle your diabetes team till you get a response. Their level of care is shocking.

Annette

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Blissfool.
I posted in another thread a couple of days ago about General Anaesthetic and its sometimes long lasting effects.

Basically, yes it can interfere with Bg levels so has to be considered. Stress in any way will also have a detrimental effect on levels. If he is taking any drugs to keep off an infection, that could have an effect. Has any possible infection actually cleared up ?

If he is still like this and you are getting nowhere with your Diabetic support team, see the GP and ask questions there. Your son needs better support and worrying is not helping you either !