After eating

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DSN at hospital this morning didnt even know of the standards 5-9mmol 90 mins after eating.

Feeling annoyed that I have to battle all the time and they not aware or just expect me to accept any levels after eating.. (her example gave to me... even non diabetics go to 10).

I kept quoting NICE. First off she said she'd go and look them up, then jyst started saying about non diabetics going up to 10.

This is meant to be a good hospital!! So suprised at this..gobsmacked actually.

Reactions: isjoberg

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @donnellysdogs ..
In the eight years or so that you have been posting .. and reading posts .. on this forum, I'm actually surprised that you still find this sort of nonsense surprising. More surprising, for me, is that nothing seems to have changed over the years.
Just one of the reasons that I ...
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore
:meh:

Reactions: michita

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it annoys me too even when not directed at me. This is why we have an obesity/ diabetes epidemic.
One would think/ hope that our health care providers would have some useful advice rather than steering us in the wrong direction

I'll love them to read around Jenny ruhls website!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Loving that avatar @Kristin251 ! :D

I think sometimes HCP's think they're being helpful and reassuring when they say things like that. I also wonder if they're being misled by those whose control isn't as good, so have lowered their expectations of what we should aim for.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Loving that avatar @Kristin251 ! :D

I think sometimes HCP's think they're being helpful and reassuring when they say things like that. I also wonder if they're being misled by those whose control isn't as good, so have lowered their expectations of what we should aim for.
Thanks!!!

I'm sure that's true and many who have tight control are being accused of having lots of hypos.

It's still annoying. Many newly diagnosed often end up with worst bs following the guidelines.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @donnellysdogs ..
In the eight years or so that you have been posting .. and reading posts .. on this forum, I'm actually surprised that you still find this sort of nonsense surprising. More surprising, for me, is that nothing seems to have changed over the years.
Just one of the reasons that I ...
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore
:meh:

She had a trainee sat in with her!!

Honestly, I'm not suprised but just totally gob smacked...

If the majority of company employees have to know their guidelines ie even packing a box at Amazon there are guidelines!! Surely a nurse at top tertiary hospital should know guidelines to which her patients should be aiming for.

I'm just so totally gob smacked. I have written email to consultant.

Ie even guidelines say should aim for set levels for waking... and it clearly says not to compromise standards.. yet she asked me why dont I wait till waking to do a corrective jab... (cos if I dont jab at 4am I will go to 20)...

I kniw I shouldnt be suprised but its no wonder T1's are failing and T2's too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm too up front, open!! Totally winds me up that people are still being told information that is wrong.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sometimes surprised at the lack of training some of your diabetic providers seem to have. I get the feeling that endos are pretty few and far between in the NHS. They seem pretty hard to get in to see.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got to see an Endo, but no continuity in care... wasnt my usual endo..you would have thought he would have seen me to reassure me that on sliding scale for my 3rd op that they will get it right... 2nd op 9 weeks ago they didnt.... (again) - with another hypo immediate before.

So appt today wasnt with my endo or my educator and absolutely nothing sorted at all..besides a trainee being wrongly advised!! And me angst.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No idea.. never seem her before. Just that she had a trainee with her.
Appt wasnt with my consultant, or my educator. Travelled 80 miles, 6 hrs wasted and no answers besides suggestion of artificial pancreas trial in future.
Just disappointed...