After one week on low-carbs. Should I rather try Keto?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do read the article that @Robbity posted above, most people once fat adapted can go in and out. It is not just an all or nothing diet.

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do read the article that @Robbity posted above, most people once fat adapted can go in and out. It is not just an all or nothing diet.
I've read it long ago and gave her a like.
Sorry I did not answer to each message individually, I was afraid I'd talk too much :)

What I've seen is most people on Keto remain in ketosis, but can occasionally switch back and forth. But anyway, if you guys say it's easy, you know better of course...

Last edited:

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suffered from ‘low carb flu’ for about two weeks. It was pretty tough but once I got through that phase it was so worth it.

I’d say give it a bit more time and see what happens.

Reactions: cristis

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffered from ‘low carb flu’ for about two weeks. It was pretty tough but once I got through that phase it was so worth it.

I’d say give it a bit more time and see what happens.
Haha, thanks guys! :)

But I am so confused now. Because about half of you encouraged me to go for it, and the other half told me to take it easier. I'll certainly look at all these pros and cons and make a decision.

Great feedback and advice from everyone, I'm truly grateful!

Reactions: mytype1.life

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take it at whatever pace suits you. It is not a race, and there are no extra brownie points for rushing it. Going slowly will reduce chances of hypo, and you will learn more about how you react to things. You may even discover what your personal threshold for ketosis is by doing it slowly. If your goal is to lose weight the fastest, then go keto asap, but IMHO ths speed of weight loss is only important if you need to lose weight for an operation in hospital. Otherwise the important thing is to get to a good weight and then maintain it. The other tricks like fasting and lowering the HbA1c and lipids follow on from that. But there is no urgency (except that summer days on the beach are looming.....)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am not that young, but not completely ancient at 50. In my 20’s I was a British Karate champ. My wife is a Physio, who has done 2 degrees with food and nutrition, so I have had my own personal health care professional, who has junked what she learned about carb loading. This was really hard for her until she saw what Professor Tim Noakes said, as his work featured in both of her degrees). As you mention a health aspect, I add that my wife was in the British Judo squad, so an elite athlete. My daughters follow LCHF mainly, 1 loosing 8 kg and playing for a an internationally known football team, whilst my other daughter is a national level dancer, so health is not a problem. My wife lost 2 stone without any exercise and has now increased her private practice as a result.

I / we used to believe what you do about skipping meals. I am a small c conservative when it comes to change, so in the initial stages of LCHF, I did low fat yogurt. Once you do the research, cross reference and then most important get a complete blood count, your personal before and after tells you everything you need to know. I went from someone who would go into London on the train, be at a clients, accidentally miss lunch, feel starving, around 2 or 3 desperately grab a large chicken yaki soba with a tea, get home and have dinner on top. Now I get up have a fresh squeezed lemon, power walk 6 miles, do some weights. Do whatever meetings and then eat with the family between 16.00 and 17.00. Just had a look at my Fitbit dashboard, so since December 25 I have averaged 106, 744 steps a week or 55.9 miles per week average with an average calorie burn per day of 3435. I have no loss of muscle mass just as Dr Jason Fung has argued (70 out of a total weight of 83.8 kg). I have not updated my signature with my weight figures as I am finding this hard to believe, although I have now tested under 84 on 4 scales.

If you eat 3 times a day, It will be possible to loose weight, but not asap as you say. You will be challenging your insulin response 3 times, whereas I challenge mine once. In the presence of insulin weight loss will not be optimum. Minimal insulin and sleep promotes weigh loss. Having said that eating is habitual, pleasurable and social. The other problem with 1 meal a day for me is that I am struggling to get everything I like in, but for me this is a nice problem to have. My experience is minimal compared to some, as I have been doing OMAD for around 6 weeks, I will be doing a 48 hour fast soon. However my meal is substantial and always includes roasted mixed nuts circa 700 calories worth, and sometimes I go back for a few more (this is where I get the majority of my fats and fibre further supplemented by a table spoon of mixed seeds / spices and a further couple of table spoons of flaxseeds, washed down by half a tumbler of apple cider vinegar, I do this every meal, even when I eat out (I have focused a lot on fibre recently)).

Breakfast is just that literally, breaking your fast, we have been conditioned by the likes of cereal makers (almost named the one) that we need to have something in the morning. As my story said it is a natural progression to lower the amount of meals as once you get into fat burning mode you are literally burning your own fat rather than glucose, so zero (yes zero) hunger and crazy amounts of energy. My advice is do what I did, read, cross reference, however as you are already adapting to LCHF, you may not have much choice, as feeling full when working out is not great, so the protocol may ease you to less meals in any event. It is good you are sceptical. Some names you may want to look up Dr Zoe Harcombe, Ivor Cummins, Dr Jason Fung, Dr Sarah Hallberg, Dr Andreas Eenfeldt, Dr Eric Westman, Dr David Unwin, Dr Stephen Phinney, Dr Gary Fettke, Dr Joanne McCormack.

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not that young, but not completely ancient at 50. In my 20’s I was a British Karate champ. My wife is a Physio, who has done 2 degrees with food and nutrition, so I have had my own personal health care professional, who has junked what she learned about carb loading.

haha, I suspected something "wrong" here :) Kidding, of course, and congrats you're still able to keep in shape so well. We're almost the same age, but I'm no champ :)

If you eat 3 times a day, It will be possible to loose weight, but not asap as you say.

Look, that's one other reason why I'd try Keto already. It's said we loose weight even without trying. I'm not fat and I exercise anyway, but I'm curious if I can get rid faster of some extra pounds and if my body responds well to this change in metabolism.

I don't know about meals. But I suspect the body may adapt to almost anything, in time...

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just so you know, I started a two-weeks Keto this evening. This was my first dish (I kept leftovers for tomorrow's lunch). Maybe I'll update this message - in case other diabetics are looking for the diet...

Next day update: fasting for over 16 hours, no more problems with my hypos (at 4.9 BG!), and already in ketosis, after just one meal (I checked with Ketostix: ketones level is over 3mmol/L).

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldvatr

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just so you know, I started a two-weeks Keto this evening. This was my first dish (I kept leftovers for tomorrow's lunch). Maybe I'll update this message - in case other diabetics are looking for the diet...

Next day update: fasting for over 16 hours, no more problems with my hypos (at 4.9 BG!), and already in ketosis, after just one meal (I checked with Ketostix: ketones level is over 3mmol/L).
How are you getting on?