Agghh Dreaded Keytones

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi everyone my pump alarm went off at 1am “cartridge low” which leaves me with 25units till morning, normally I’d deal with it the morning I woke at 5.30 and knew something was very wrong.

I’d disconnected my pump and some how managed to get an arm out of my tee shirt, and pulled my underwear halfway down I was in a state this has never happened.

Somehow managed to straighten my self and test blood 15.2 ☹️ felt like there was a bird nesting in my mouth nesting. I test urine and was maxed out on keytones, I’ve changed pump site and new cartridge I gave myself 12units that was at 5.15am
Now it’s 8.am and still 13.2 and medium keytones.
Gave another 6 units.

I’ve have epilepsy I’m wondering if I’ve had a turn I’ve just got no answers I’m shocked in fact this has never happened before, well not since I’ve been on a pump.

Any clues would be great has anyone else disconnected in their sleep

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @masonbason. It sounds like a disturbing experience, and I’m glad your keystones are diminishing. Hope the 6 units works and all the nasty hyper symptoms go. They’re nasty.
I don’t have a pump but MDI so I can’t say I’ve disconnected in my sleep.
What were your BG at 1 am? Could you have had a hypo, or been too sleepy to think clearly?
It’s not surprising that you feel disturbed by last night’s events, especially with epilepsy. We’re all vulnerable and you’ve just had an experience that highlights this for you.
I think most of us have had times when we’ve been made aware of how daft we can be when our rational selves are overtaken by the completely stupid, totally mad alter ego that shares T1 with us.
Sending you hugs

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm another MDI and I wouldn't expect 15 to be enough to give you lots of ketones, though I know that of you're on a pump you can run out of insulin very quickly.
Sounds as though you're on the mend but I'm going to tag @kitedoc who has lots of pump experience and is a regular poster here.
A hypo would explain the disconnection (as would a fit), though the hypo would push your blood sugar higher because of the liver producing glycogen?
Boggled that you can go into ketosis so quickly though maybe this is a known pump phenomenon???
Edited to add, maybe ask the mods to move this to the insulin pump forum?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ooh, unpleasant and scary. @EllieM - because we have no long acting insulin, ketosis can happen very quickly if we get disconnected. It’s the one major disadvantage of a pump, I’m not sure I’d be confident using one without CGM.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a bent cannula and one where the tubing broke off the cannula in the night but my blood sugar only went to 11 or 12 . I didn't actually check for ketones so not sure what they were. I had to give correction doses but was back to normal by midday.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Thanks for the information everyone before going on the pump I was diagnosed with brittle diabetes that was reason for going on to pump. To be honest I’ve just had the day from hell I’ve had 3 hypos today not bad ones but I now feel like I’ve been beaten up ☹️ the ketones have gone thankfully but the bloods are now running at a nice 5.3, as to Fairygodmother asking what my bloods were at 1.00am they were 7.3 not particularly high I suppose.

I’ve got my HbA1c on Wednesday and tomorrow I’ll download the pump etc and forward to consultant before my mid December appointment.

Mel dCP on a brighter note I’m trying to get the Libre no success at present this can only increase my chances. In a sad way on getting one.

Also when I start on the pump in ‘99 I was put on it by the hospital with supplies then I had to fund it myself and fight my cause but I put up a fight and met a few people on the local CCG when I changed hospitals “ because I moved “ the whole thing happened again but I made sure I found out the decision makers here perhaps I should start rattling some cages now.