Airport security

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not had any problems going through security with my pump I keep it on without any issues. Have a great trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

gem09

Travelling to tenerife from London Gatwick, first time using accu-chek insight pump, but worried about going through security any advice!

Sent from my D5803 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Travelled to and from Gatwick with pump, it was fine, I handed my letter to the guys at the security line explained that I can't go through body scanners and better never to disconnect the pump, they were absolutely fine and just patted me down as usual, one guard when I travelled out of Gatwick asked to swab it which was no issue.

Sent from my D5803 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Calferness

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have traveled extensively between countries and never had a problem. Always get wanded and usually the swab test, but no big deal.

Old_git

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pretty much the same experience as other contributors. Sometimes it sets scanners off, sometimes not. Letter from doctor helps but disconnecting the pump for a short while and handing it around the security portal does no harm, it proves a point that it was the pump that was being detected. Good to know that security levels are being maintained at airports so I think it's a small hassle worth dealing with.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always allow 30 mins for setting of the scanners, most times it does not but all my other insulin based stuff is in my hand baggage and this always gets stopped via xray for checking.

Just had both hips replaced so from now on I will always set of the metal detectors :-(

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to New York from Heathrow soon - I have letter etc to take with me - anyone been told you HAVE to put your pump through X-ray machine at Heathrow or JFK? Told we are not meant to - thanks x

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going to New York from Heathrow soon - I have letter etc to take with me - anyone been told you HAVE to put your pump through X-ray machine at Heathrow or JFK? Told we are not meant to - thanks x

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
There are metal detectors that you walk through - these are ok for pumps.
The bag Xray machine is fine for handsets and CGM receivers, but not for pumps.
The walk in body scanners are no for pumps.

Keep your pump on you at all times
- if your asked to go through the metal detector - show them the pump as you approach, tell them its an insulin pump and walk through.
- if your asked to go through a walk in body scanner - politely show them you have a pump and refuse - they should allow you to be hand searched and pump swabbed. If they insist and you see no way of winning then take pump off and put it back on the other side (you will need to pass it to the security person around outside of scanner).
- In both cases above your pump should not go anywhere near the hand baggage xray machine.

The UK and the USA are very used to insulin pumps.

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are metal detectors that you walk through - these are ok for pumps.
The bag Xray machine is fine for handsets and CGM receivers, but not for pumps.
The walk in body scanners are no for pumps.

Keep your pump on you at all times
- if your asked to go through the metal detector - show them the pump as you approach, tell them its an insulin pump and walk through.
- if your asked to go through a walk in body scanner - politely show them you have a pump and refuse - they should allow you to be hand searched and pump swabbed. If they insist and you see no way of winning then take pump off and put it back on the other side (you will need to pass it to the security person around outside of scanner).
- In both cases above your pump should not go anywhere near the hand baggage xray machine.

The UK and the USA are very used to insulin pumps.

Great that's very reassuring - thanks x