Albumin/Creatine ratio borderline high on LCHF diet

Paula100

Hi everyone

I'm newly diagnosed (HBA1c 55) and had to do a repeat blood test one week after initial diagnosis, so Dr could confirm diagnosis.

So, for the past week I have been trying hard and went on a strict low carb, high protein and fats diet...clearly I want to do whatever I can to bring sugar levels down.

I'm still waiting on the blood test results, but in the meantime, my urine was tested and showed the Albumin/Creatinie ratio to be 3.5 (which is the borderline for normal. Any higher, and apparently it means kidney problems...(so it says on the internet!)

I've yet to discuss with GP but wondered if anyone knows of this. When I checked my separate creatinine and albumin levels in the urine sample, the creatinine was in the normal range and the albumin was high.

I don't know if this is related to kept diets?

If anyone can help advice, please do!

I'm struggling on what diet to do, now!

Thanks so much
Paula

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Having high blood glucose and or high blood pressure can be hard on the kidneys. IMHO , focus on getting your BG levels normal. I think it’s the biggest thing you can change. If you have high BP, talk to your doc.

retest once those are normalized.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Changes in diet normally take more thn a week to bed in. It is unlikely you are observing a direct effect of your LCHF in any permanent way yet. You are probably losing weight which in the early days is glycogen fat i.e. glucose based fat with a lot of water. This is normal, but it will be diluting your urine and making assayed values from the lab of dubious value at the moment. If the figures from the lab are based on wee stix then these are only indicative, and not accurate for diagnosis.

If it is high albumin then if it is due to kidney damage, then that is likely to have been caused over a long time span rather than a sudden diet change. Have you by any chance had a recent CT or MRI scan? Or an x-ray where they use contrast dye - that is something that can cause problems for the kidneys for some (me included)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Diabetics may develop kidney issues, or liver, so hopefully getting your blood sugars down then stable will help.

Mezza n

Hi everyone

I'm newly diagnosed (HBA1c 55) and had to do a repeat blood test one week after initial diagnosis, so Dr could confirm diagnosis.

So, for the past week I have been trying hard and went on a strict low carb, high protein and fats diet...clearly I want to do whatever I can to bring sugar levels down.

I'm still waiting on the blood test results, but in the meantime, my urine was tested and showed the Albumin/Creatinie ratio to be 3.5 (which is the borderline for normal. Any higher, and apparently it means kidney problems...(so it says on the internet!)

I've yet to discuss with GP but wondered if anyone knows of this. When I checked my separate creatinine and albumin levels in the urine sample, the creatinine was in the normal range and the albumin was high.

I don't know if this is related to kept diets?

If anyone can help advice, please do!

I'm struggling on what diet to do, now!

Thanks so much
Paula

Hi pretty much same happened to me my urine showed up albumin doc gave me a tablet ramapril . Fast forward three month later no albumin in my three monthly check but I think if I understood correctly if left untreated can lead to kidney problems hope this helps.

Reactions: LaoDan