Alcohol and diabetes?

Brian Kidney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed with diabetes for about 18 months now, and I generally manage my sugars quite well, however lately it's been up and down, I take 18 units of Abasaglar in the morning along with 8 units of Novarapid and in my pill regime have 2 Metformin in the morning and 2 at night. However I have noticed if I drink alcohol ( vodka with a sugar free mixer) my sugar plummet to near hypo levels (varying between 3 and 4) should , when I drink use a non sugar free mixer or maybe eat something before I drink. Cheers guys
Brian

Reactions: filly

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The basal insulin (Abasaglar) provides a background level of insulin to work with the glucose that is dripped by your liver throughout the day.
Our liver does not like alcohol. Therefore, when we drink, our liver focuses on clearing the toxins (alcohol) and stops the glucose drip. As a result, our basal insulin is too much for the glucose that is coming from our liver for up to 24 hours after drinking.
Drinking sugar free mixers or eating before drinking will not help.
Suggestions are
- drink less. Some livers have high alcohol tolerance than others so how "less" depends upon your body
- reducing your basal dose when drinking alcohol.
- eat something carby such as a couple of slices of toast without a bolus (NovoRapid) dose before going to bed when drinking.

• Agree
Reactions: KennyA

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know if I go out for the night, I have to have about a 10 carb snack (that value was worked out by trial and error for me - so could well be different for you) when I get home otherwise I will be woken up by my pump beeping at me at 2am/3am - my pump does have auto-correct for if high but it does not have a 'I've been out drinking' option :)

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Chrisjr72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been diagnosed with diabetes for about 18 months now, and I generally manage my sugars quite well, however lately it's been up and down, I take 18 units of Abasaglar in the morning along with 8 units of Novarapid and in my pill regime have 2 Metformin in the morning and 2 at night. However I have noticed if I drink alcohol ( vodka with a sugar free mixer) my sugar plummet to near hypo levels (varying between 3 and 4) should , when I drink use a non sugar free mixer or maybe eat something before I drink. Cheers guys
Brian
Hi Brian the best thing that you can do is to quit drinking altogether. Worst thing for diabetes

Reactions: Pura Vida

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Brian the best thing that you can do is to quit drinking altogether. Worst thing for diabetes
i disagree!

The worst thing for our lives, not just our diabetes, is lack of balance and letting Diabetes control our lives.
I am not suggesting giving up drinking is a bad thing for some of us but we need to look out our whole bodies, minds and lives. Drinking in excess is a bad thing regardless of diabetes (or any other medical condition) but that does not mean we need to be completely sober all of the time.
The worst thing for our diabetes is ignoring diabetes so we need to balance our lives including diabetes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I’ve found works for me. (I love voddy & Diet Coke.)
Is delay my basal. (I am using Lantus. & do a dose around 21.30/22.00.) but tend to leave it later till I bed down at maybe 1am or 2.

But that’s just something I tripped over on my reckless quest to be normal? I get some decent numbers when I wake too…

Reactions: KennyA

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you like to explain why drinking is worse for diabetics than for non diabetics?

As far as I'm aware, high BG is damaging, and hypos are no fun either.
But I fail to see why drinking is worse for diabetics than for non diabetics, provided they can avoid highs and lows because of it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brian
As a non-insulin using T2 I now always ensure that if I am going to have any quantity of alcohol that I have some carb. Alcohol will bring my measured BG right down to the point where there's nothing to be gained from doing a before and after fingerprick test. I have had meals with more than enough carb to raise my BG measurably yet the chianti and grappa mean I have a lower BG afterwards than before.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have quit drinking alcohol altogether as it causes some nasty lows. It's just not worth the night time worry.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
i Suppose alcohol like Everything is down to excess ! I think in moderation it’s fine but in excess it’s not , and that has nothing to do with diabetes, alcohol does affect people with diabetes differently with regard blood sugar levels , but it doesn’t mean you should stop , maybe it’s about finding a way, personally I don’t take any bolus insulin when I drink alcohol because experience has taught me to deal with any raises in blood sugar level the following day ,, I don’t have any rapid drops any more , I don’t drink alcohol much these days as I’m mad enough without it but I certainly wouldn’t let diabetes stop me if I wanted to , and it never did ! I just found a way

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: In Response