Alcohol and Neuropathy

Dalrymple

Hi, id be really interested in any reliable opinions on whether 3 units of alcohol 5 days a week can make diabetic neuropathy worse in feet and legs. Im a type 2 diabetic who is diet controlled and taking no meds. My average HBAIC is between 5.2 to 5.5. Im taking 100mg of Lyrica a day for neuropathy pain. Thanks for your thoughts.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't have much of a clue but with an hba1c in the low 5s you hopefully aren't getting the neuropathy from the T2. (Though I don't know what your levels were like in the past).

Dr Google mentions there is alcohol neuropathy, but I don't know whether that is relevant in your situation.

You could ask a doctor or try abstaining from alcohol for a month to see if it makes a difference....

Good luck.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, id be really interested in any reliable opinions on whether 3 units of alcohol 5 days a week can make diabetic neuropathy worse in feet and legs. Im a type 2 diabetic who is diet controlled and taking no meds. My average HBAIC is between 5.2 to 5.5. Im taking 100mg of Lyrica a day for neuropathy pain. Thanks for your thoughts.
My opinion may not be reliable, but my experience is that my neuropathy reduced markedly as my HbA1c fell, and I didn't adjust my unit alcohol consumption over the same period (although I did alter what I drank - more spirits, less beer).

Reactions: oldgreymare

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how long since your diagnosis or if you are on a low carb diet (filling in your profile helps people give relevant answers). In my case neuropathy was mild and just in my big toe, but it still took over a year of non-diabetic HbA1c before it went away. As to your question; I drank alcohol regularly before diagnosis and I still do.

Reactions: oldgreymare

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ie less carbs?
Yes indeed. That was the point, having been told that beer was full of carbs and essentially liquid bread, which it is. Then I discovered that alcohol lowers my BG, and following some experimentation it was established that the BG lowering (in my case) does happen with beer, but only significantly with a stronger beer, around +6% or so, which tends to confirm the alcohol effect. Weaker beer produces a mild BG rise as expected. I didn't have a full range to experiment with, but I am looking forward to continuing my research at some point....net result, alcohol in moderation, neuropathy almost non-existent, BG normal.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I don't have much of a clue but with an hba1c in the low 5s you hopefully aren't getting the neuropathy from the T2. (Though I don't know what your levels were like in the past).

Dr Google mentions there is alcohol neuropathy, but I don't know whether that is relevant in your situation.

You could ask a doctor or try abstaining from alcohol for a month to see if it makes a difference....

Good luck.

Because alcohol is similar to benzodiazepines, esp. upon either withdrawal or long term use, I would too be interested to know if tremor or neuropathy can be distinguished from diabetic neuropathy. Or lithium for that matter; I have similar numbers to yours, and I don't think my blood sugar is so off the mark.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm taking pregabalin for neuropathy. Have it quite bad atm. I find alcohol interferes with the medication and yes it makes the pain worse. If I drink I have spirits in small amounts, avoid beer.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm taking pregabalin for neuropathy. Have it quite bad atm. I find alcohol interferes with the medication and yes it makes the pain worse. If I drink I have spirits in small amounts, avoid beer.

So pregabalin sounds like it's in the same class as clonazepam-- an anti-epileptic benzo, which I have been prescribed on for 35+ years with no increase in 1.50 mg dose.. Dr. won't raise it to 2.0, but one of my queries would be, is it still working or has it reached withdrawal stage. Maybe there is a test for distinguishing between this and that; and yes, some viruses such as shingles should be considered. In my case, alcohol helps, though I rarely drink more than a glass of wine per week total.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Alcohol can raise triglycerides a lot, and high triglycerides/ hyperlipidemia can cause or exacerbate neuropathy, so I suppose it could be related.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am qualified to answer this. I binged on wine and got mega Hba1c results. I peaked at 77 in Canterbury hospital. My leg seized up in October. The toe went black in November and was amputated by the Podiatrist. I took strict low carb/no alcohol behaviour as the graph shows. The surgeon agreed to giving me a leg bypass in March and I have healed from most of the neuropathy but still have a numb ankle and toes.

From my experience I would say that your level of blood sugar is not causing your neuropathy but I encourage you to find out for sure by not having any alcohol for a time. While you are at it you should leave out all foods/drinks containing fructose also and that includes tins/bottles of fizzy drinks.

https://i.vgy.me/aQV14W.png

PS. My latest Hba1c was 41, I still have a foot and can walk a fair distance.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Alcohol can raise triglycerides a lot, and high triglycerides/ hyperlipidemia can cause or exacerbate neuropathy, so I suppose it could be related.

That's good to know; thank you. I was searching for foods high on tri's and cholesterol, and aside from fats esp. ( I was so delighted to see that chips were not on the table) obesity and lack of activity are high contributors.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thanks for the search confirmation Geordie. One more variable for my case (hope I am not being too self-centered here); the relationship between thyroxine dose and changes in other drugs.