Alcohol and testing

MaydayMayday

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there,

I'm not sure if I am clutching at straws here but I recently did a glucose test as part of a health check. I had two pints of ale at around 6-7 the evening before the test and also ate a hearty meal around 9.30pm. When I did the test some 13 hours later my urine test reading was 6.6.

However, the sample was sent to a lab and was likely not processed for a day or two as I did the test on the Saturday. Do you think it is possible that something residual from the alcohol was active in the sample and fermented to give a false positive reading?

Cheers,
Gav

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I doubt it but I would ask for another test just to be sure. Good luck !

MaydayMayday

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi! I decided to get one of those home testing kits to monitor it a little and also radically overhauled my diet. I have cut out as much carbohydrate as possible without necessarily monitoring it (i.e. reading up on what is good or bad for blood sugar and altering my habits to eat only the good stuff) and the readings on the meter are almost exclusively within the normal range (fasting and two-hour). Will do a carbs meal test over the weekend to see if the result remains consistent. Reckon I'll do this for a little while before going to the doctor as I live in Hong Kong and the docs tend to have a 'keep an eye on it and see what happens' attitude. Cheers for your quick reply. It spurred me out of denial...