Alcohol consumption during breastfeeding & T1 toddler

Blissfool

Ok, so I am sitting in bed next to my nearly three year old son and I am feeling wretched with guilt. I have always breastfed my son on damned, and still do (it was slacking off at point of diagnosis in August 2010, but his need for comfort and security had upped it again). During my entire pregnancy and before, I did not drink, or smoke and was very careful about diet. It had taken a long time to conceive my son and I had lost our first baby mid term. However, I suffered a huge shock two months from birth, when my sister drowned in a canoeing accident. So, when my son was born I was battling grief and stress and constant pain from chronic back injury (pregnancy put me in a wheelchair). Whilst I didn't drink heavily, I did allow myself one glass of red wine a night, and sometimes this ended up being just before a feed. When he was a tiny baby, I remember sitting there and suddenly having this really strong feeling, or hearing a "voice" saying that he was going to be really sick when he was older because his pancreas was going to be damaged. Seriously. I put it down to feeling guilty about the glass of wine. I don't know why I just didn't stop there and then, because I didn't need it as such. However, I didn't. It was a nightly ritual quietly had by myself, and it seemed to held a bit. And plenty of folk told me not to worry, that one glass of wine would be ok. Fast forward, and my healthy eating, demand fed 2.5 year old is finally so sick that people can't put it down to him being "that age" and is diagnosed with T1 diabetes and severe DKA, hospital stay of 8 days, then home on a pump.

Now, having trawler the Internet and having pulled myself inside out with guilt at what I surely could have done to help etc. I am finding stuff that links alcohol to pancreas damage to diabetes. Did I do this to my son? Did I weaken his pancreas and damage it through making his tiny body process alcohol? If I have a drink now, will I be putting even more strain on him? Does alcohol affect him through my milk the same as drinking does to an adult diabetic?

Most days i push away these thoughts because theere isnt the time to give them air, as my son needs me, but i am scared I might still be hurting him. The doctors and friends tell me there was nothing I could do, but what if what I did do, contributed and is continuing to contribute? I just wish I'd listened to that voice.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excessive alcohol can cause pancreatitis which in turn can cause diabetes, so there would be other symptoms I assume. Your son was diagnosed at a typical age and in a typical way for type 1 diabetes, and the doctors have said there was nothing you could do, so I would think it is normal type 1 diabetes. You haven't caused it, don't worry.

Though why not stop drinking, to stop yourself worrying about it?

aboz

Hi many youg children get diabetes whether they are breast fed or not it is something that you will have to be strong enough to help him with. The truama you have suffered is tearing you apart a glass of wine now and then does not make you a bad mother or the cause of your sons condition.
My advice to you is to get proffesional counceling to come to terms with your grief, when you have done this you will feel better about yourself and the thoughts of blame that you feel will disappear.
You ARE a GOOD mother and your son needs you to be strong.
I truely wish you well and hope you overcome your problem.

Kind regardes Alan.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I think it is quite safe to say that nothing you did caused your child's diabetes. Try to stop feeling guilty and have 2 alcohol free days a week for your own well being. I also lost a baby before Khaleb was conceived. It was in the 1st trimester but the grief is still overwhelming. The added loss of your sister would have been a horrible ordeal. Time can heal some of the time but you might also find that a level of depression sets in. Don't be afraid to get a bit of help as you really have been through a lot and even the best of us would find coping a struggle. There are times that I still find tears rolling down my cheeks at even the silliest things (the remnants from my horrid year).

Here's hoping that 2011 comes with a reset button.

ally5555

Bliss - I have had your post on my mind all morning.

One glass a day is not excessive really so I do not think you have anything to feel guilty about.

I think we look after the kids well but not the parents - and Lord knows as parents we are always guilty about something. You gave your little boy the best start in life really.

Maybe you should find out if there are any kids and parents groups organised by the hospital - meeting other parents can help.

Allyx

sugar2

No, you didn't cause his T1. I have heard many theories about it...virus, shock, genetics etc but not this one.They usually blame all the ills of the world on the fact that babies are not breastfed.

So easy to say, and hard to do, but please don't feel guilty about this. You are doing the best you can for your son. I breast fed my son until he was about 13 months (and he got teeth :shock:) and could never tell how much he was having, so I guess feeding a little one on an insulin pump can be a little difficult, but if it is working for you and for him, go for it I didn't drink while breast feeding, but I was not in the same situation as you were, so really urge you not to feel guilty...you sound like a wonderful Mum!