Type 1 Alcohol?

LiamC93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know you shouldn't be drinking too much, cause of the possibility of liver damage. But is there any alcoholic beverages that should be avoided? I know cocktails are a no go but any others and what is recommended?

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LiamC93 You can still have cocktails if you choose wisely :) Just avoid sugary mixers and go for ones with soda water, etc I love cocktails :D

Many people have to bolus for beer, but you should see how you go. I only avoid very sweet liqueurs personally, but even then I find a tiny amount after a meal ok.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spirits (vodka,whiskey,gin) with zero sugar fizzy drinks are alright. Also red wine doesn't affect sugar levels. There is no alcohol that is recommended but these the best option for diabetics :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink a low carb (7.1 grams per 375mls) mid strength beer of 3.5% by choice.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm partial to a glass of red wine with my evening meal. It seems to blunt the post meal spikes and has cardiovascular benefit.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a low carb (7.1 grams per 375mls) mid strength beer of 3.5% by choice.
See Marstons "Resolution"....double fermented, 2g carbs per 250 ml.....hic....

(Doctor, Doctor - I've got a drink problem....I pass out before I've had enough!)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be perfectly honest, drink what you enjoy the taste of and what doesn't cause your blood sugars to crumble around you.

Finding a drink that's ideal for diabetics is a little bit like trying to smoke the healthiest brand of cigarettes...

Test, test, test - and try alternative drinks if you know that certain ones just don't work for you. Sure, spirits and red wine are "better" alternatives to many drinks out there - but you need to enjoy yourself, so compromise in this instance often goes hand in hand with moderation:)

I would try to avoid bolusing for alcohol (although I'm guilty of it myself to a certain point when drinking beer) - but I know at what point to stop and leave the insulin well alone. You can end up in a lot of bother if you try and keep BG's tight when drinking...

FYI, if you enjoy beer - and drink it at home as well as in the pub - you'll find that canned lager doesn't do near as much damage to your BG as draught does. My point being, keep testing when you're drinking away from home - as well as at home:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to,add that alcohol can increase the risk of hypos, including some hours later, so that's another reason not to overdo it. Alcohol can also make a hypo less easy to spot, so test regularly.

When I drink things like wine and spirits on an empty stomach, I usually nibble a few carbs like crisps, etc so that I don't go low.