Alcohol

emac

Afternoon,

I was diagnosed with late onset type one in February this year, aged 29. I realise this is a really common question so sorry for my repetitiveness.

I have been told that I should drink no more that 21 units a week, but have been struggling to keep to that recently and been having 8-10 pints on a night out quite regularly. I presume the main dangers of this are having a hypo at night, when drinking or when you are asleep.

On top of this are there any other diabetes related problems associated with drinking too much. I am trying to change my ways before my first kid arrives. What kind of drink policy do most people keep to on here?

thanks Euan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi emac?Euan.
Welcome

Diabetes and Alcohol are explained very well here at this link:
http://diabetes.webmd.com/drinking-alcohol

Have a good read and come back with any questions you may have ? There are many dangers to drinking that amount of Alcohol you state. Not all Diabetes related. As A reformed heavy drinker myself I can tell you that you are going to have to bite the bullet and reduce that sort of consumption drastically if you want to stay healthy for your future children.

One unit of alcohol is 10ml (1cl) by volume, or 8g by weight, of pure alcohol. For example:

One unit of alcohol is about equal to:
half a pint of ordinary strength beer, lager or cider (3-4% alcohol by volume), or
a small pub measure (25ml) of spirits (40% alcohol by volume), or
a standard pub measure (50ml) of fortified wine such as sherry or port (20% alcohol by volume).

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I asked David Mendosa recently if he knew of any cases wheree a diabetic had died of hypo, whilst drunk, because no-one recognised the masked symptoms. I tihink he said there's been 1 case. Hhowever. Drinking to excess is not good for so many reasons and most of them become more important if you have a major health issue.
My T1 husband was pretty cavalier about drinking and diabetes control when he was about your age. Now aged 62, he has retinopathy, Neuropathy of the feet, which has led to Charcot feet., Kidney damage, severe anaemia and almost certainly gastroparesis.
A lot more taking care of himself and a lot less beer,( even for a Brewer0 would have made all this much less likely.

lilibet

Hi
Main risk is bad hypos in the short term. You wouldnt believe the effect alcohol can have on you and I believe a high proportion of hospital admissions for hypos are related to alcohol. Beer is likely to raise your bg a good bit, given what its made of.
Im sure you know, but just test pre bed and make sure you have something to eat. Diabetic hangovers are no fun!

As for the other effects - all the usual ones that affect the general population.Also, can have an impact on your triglycerides and cause a fatty liver. Trigs are counted as part of our blood fat (lipid) panel as highlighting risk of cardio vascular problems so keeping them low is a must

Still, you are only 29 and as long as you try to be as good as you can in other areas of your life I wouldnt be too hard on yourself. As a female I used to go over my limit in one night :oops: but dont do that now. Still, at aged 35 I can still be found in pubs giving mr jack daniels a pasting (armed with chocolate hob nobs and dextro tabs)

You will soon learn your own limits

L