Alcoholic Drinks

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
D. Type 2 and heart attack 4 months ago. Significant improvement but forbidden all alcoholic drinks except for red wine twice a week.
Personal experiences are welcome.
Thank you.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ivan 2,
Perhaps if you could provide some detail about what diet you have been prescribed and whether you have also taking any medications.
My personal comments from my reading and diabetes education: ( not to be taken as health professional advice or opinion)
Some persons with T2D are said to have fatty liver and alcohol can make this worse.
Our liver stores up glucose from our meal and may release it over the hours til our next meal if the blood sugar dips too low.
Sometimes certain diabetes medication can cause blood sugars to go low too. In general terms our brain tends to use glucose for fuel and gets pretty upset if that fuel is in low supply in the blood. So your liver 'tops up' the blood sugar.
BUT alcohol, while it is present, stops the liver from releasing glucose. So it can be a problem for those usually on medication whose blood sugars might fall too low.
My take on alcohol is that it is produced by yeast (bugs). The alcohol gives the yeast producing it an advantage over another bug growing because it is toxic to the other bugs. And it is toxic to our bodies. Why would you wish to poison your body ?
Antioxidants in wine, healthy you say/? See where else you can get them from, places without the alcohol.
End of rant !!

Reactions: Garway

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on insulin and yes, fatty liver.
My portion of red wine is just 20 ml after lunch (about 3 sips). That would be about 2 ml of alcohol (10% in wine).
I hope the amount of alcohol is negligible.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on insulin and yes, fatty liver.
My portion of red wine is just 20 ml after lunch (about 3 sips). That would be about 2 ml of alcohol (10% in wine).
I hope the amount of alcohol is negligible.
That's not a whole lot, but... For me, when I tried some herbal remedy with a bit of alcohol in it, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I just had 5 drops (!) of the stuff and I felt awful, liver aching, hands tingling, head buzzing... My NAFLD just doesn't accomodate even a little alcohol. If you already have a fatty liver, I'd say, why make the poor thing suffer more, especially if it's just for 3 sips, (why bother?) but it's really up to you.