1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

All over 50s in SW England - Covid vaccinations from week 1 March

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by BRSBRI, Feb 21, 2021.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Just spoken to my asthma nurse. No priority for me, despite my weight, diabetes, asthma and being a carer. Unpaid carers dont count.

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

An old work colleague of mine is a carer for his elderly mum, age 84, he lives there now. He is 53 has epilepsy, works, but can't get carer's allowance either, so he too is an unpaid carer and waiting for the Covid vaccine..

• Informative Informative x 2
    #22 Robinredbreast, Feb 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. xenomorph2020

xenomorph2020 · Active Member

got my text message this evening
    will book it in next few days
    It came from local hospital rather then GP or hospital where I have my diabetes clinic.
    Im kinda nervous about it due to no large set of data on if it causes more side effects in diabetics or not

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Why does your diabetes at least not get you a group 6 position? Being a carer should also and if bmi is over 40 that too. I’d check with the practice manager if you are being missed unfairly. Or call 119 (I think it’s that one that’s doing covid vaccine bookings) and try that.

6. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Friend of mine in Tewkesbury got a text, I still have nothing but am on tenterhooks waiting now. Have a diabetic review call on Thursday so will ask them if not heard

Just want this moving forward. Not that it seems to make difference to the government, we'll have been double jabbed by the time we are allowed out!

• Like Like x 2
  7. lovinglife

I got a letter yesterday morning to book my jab - the reason they gave was as I’m an unpaid carer not my health conditions, tried to book on line but the nearest was 60 miles way! As I don’t drive would need a carer to do my carer duties etc I couldn’t book. Phoned the number on the letter and the lovely lady tried to get me nearer to no avail. She said to keep trying on line 2 or 3 times a day as slots and new locations are popping up all the time.

then tonight about 8pm my surgery called so I’m booked in at 12.24 on Monday. Very precise time she said be on the dot as we are doing them every 3 minutes ! At least I’m in :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well they haven't offered jabs to all the over 60's in Gloucestershire yet, how can they say they are starting on the over 50s next week?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. lucylocket61

Same here in my part of Wales @zand

• Like Like x 1
  10. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Am I right in remembering that you've had Covid? Has this made you feel more relaxed about the jab? Or concerned about side effects? Sorry if I have mis remembered this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

As far as I was concerned, I couldn't face having covid again. The side effects of the jab were minimal and infinitely preferable to that awful cough.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lovinglife

No not had Covid- I did have reservations at the beginning as I have allergies to some antibiotics mainly penicillin and septrin and thought I may not be able to have it but apparently it’s fine. I’m having it mainly to protect my son as without me to care for him his life would change against all recognition

E.T.A.
    oops just seen you’d tagged @lucylocket61 and not me, sorry didn’t read it right lol

13. lovinglife

14. lucylocket61

I was just going to post that, following a phone call with my practice manager, my husband and I will be having our vaccinations at the surgery on Thursday.

:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. lovinglife

I had my jab yesterday morning and it completely wiped me out spent most of last night and all day today in bed with flu like symptoms, I’m up now feeling a lot better just a bad head and a very sore arm, I had the AstraZeneca one

• Hug Hug x 1
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I got one lined up tomorrow.

This will be rather interesting based on some of the jab reports I've heard of feeling rough afterwards..

17. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yet Pfizer and apart from a slightly sore arm, not really any issues at all. The AZ seems from what I’ve read to have a few more symptoms

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook