Almased

fi@no32

Has anyone tried the new german liquid diet that popped up on this site? It sounds like you have the formula only for 3 days, then add a meal etc etc. Is it recommended by the site? Can't see any other threads giving any info or any nutritional details.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Aha! I was reading about that only yesterday. It seemed to be an ideal thing. I would've bought some but it was a tad expensive for me.. maybe next month.

:blackeye:

C

catherinecherub

It's another meal replacement drink.
It did used to advertise it in much more detail including all the benefits for diabetics but the FDA sent the manufacturers a warning about their claims..
http://www.naturalstandard.com/news/news201202005.asp

It contains soya, probiotic yoghurt and honey. As to it's claims for diabetics, who knows? Would it be more beneficial than all the other weight loss shakes?
http://www.almased.co.uk/all-rounder/diabetics/
What Almased can do. (Note, can do as opposed to does)
http://www.almased.co.uk/almased/

Charlotte.S

Administrator
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes.co.uk don’t endorse advertisers, however we have invited a member of the Almased team to come and answer any questions that the Diabetes community may have about the product.

Reactions: 6 people

Almased

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
It's another meal replacement drink.
It did used to advertise it in much more detail including all the benefits for diabetics but the FDA sent the manufacturers a warning about their claims..
http://www.naturalstandard.com/news/news201202005.asp

It contains soya, probiotic yoghurt and honey. As to it's claims for diabetics, who knows? Would it be more beneficial than all the other weight loss shakes?
http://www.almased.co.uk/all-rounder/diabetics/
What Almased can do. (Note, can do as opposed to does)
http://www.almased.co.uk/almased/

Dear Catherinecherub,
Thank you for your note and I hope that by responding to you in a prompt manner that this will alleviate any concerns you have with our product. More than two years ago, the US FDA requested Almased to make changes to some of the claims we were making about the product. FDA recognised these as therapeutic claims which can only be used if the product is a drug and not a dietary supplement such as Almased. Our US team responded promptly to this issue and are fully compliant with FDA standards to this day Catherine.

Here in the UK, Almased is officially recognised as a food product by the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority) and we are delighted that it will continue to be classed as such.

Almased is a fantastic food product with superb nutritional properties, is backed by many years of scientific research and is used by millions of people throughout the world. Importantly for all of us here on this forum, Almased can be used by people with diabetes where it supports healthy weight loss and healthy blood levels.

Your health is the most important thing you have Catherine, so if you feel this may be right for you, please consult with your doctor who knows your medical status and will be able to guide you further.

Hope this has been of some help.

Best wishes to you and the forum.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Almased can be used by people with diabetes where it supports healthy weight loss and healthy blood levels.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd

Hi Kevin, can you tell me what you mean by "supports healthy blood levels"? Do you mean that it actually lowers blood glucose levels thats fantastic, can you point me to the scientific research Id love to read it...

Reactions: 2 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
does that mean they are not answerable to anyone because its not a drug and any claim they make ,they don't have to back up ?

Almased

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi Kevin, can you tell me what you mean by "supports healthy blood levels"? Do you mean that it actually lowers blood glucose levels thats fantastic, can you point me to the scientific research Id love to read it...
Dear Sid,
Yes it does. I have uploaded a recent study conducted on Almased and published by the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics a few months ago. It is definitely worth a read if you find the time. I am conscious that many out there may not be familiar with research papers and do not wish to bamboozle anyone however, the fact that this is the official Journal of the British Dietetic Association simply adds weight to the case that this is a very effective product; and to answer Shane-1's very fair question, everything we say about our product is backed up by many years of scientifically proven research and adheres to the strict guidelines set down by the regulatory bodies in the UK.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd

Attachments

• 8. Meal replacement reduces insulin requirement HbA1c and (2).pdf
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,378

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
how long would a 500g carton last

Almased

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi DiamondAsh,

A 500g can equates to 10 x 50g meals. So if you used it say once a day as a meal replacement, it would last 10 days. Generally it is mixed with 200-350 mls of water (for best results), or 200mls of semi or skimmed milk, almond or soya. You cannot mix Almased with hot liquids because the special enzymes and proteins in Almased that help to burn body fat will be destroyed. If you wish, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive, flaxseed, walnut or rape seed oil to each shake to ensure an adequate supply with essential fatty acids. You can also flavour Almased with ingredients, such as cinnamon, ground flaxseeds, unsweetened cocoa powder or extracts like vanilla or almond.

It should be made fresh and consumed immediately.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi DiamondAsh,

A 500g can equates to 10 x 50g meals. So if you used it say once a day as a meal replacement, it would last 10 days. Generally it is mixed with 200-350 mls of water (for best results), or 200mls of semi or skimmed milk, almond or soya. You cannot mix Almased with hot liquids because the special enzymes and proteins in Almased that help to burn body fat will be destroyed. If you wish, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive, flaxseed, walnut or rape seed oil to each shake to ensure an adequate supply with essential fatty acids. You can also flavour Almased with ingredients, such as cinnamon, ground flaxseeds, unsweetened cocoa powder or extracts like vanilla or almond.

It should be made fresh and consumed immediately.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd
that's excellent, would love to try some as I'm sometimes too tired to put food together on a plate. That's when I end up eating the wrong things for me. I might treat myself to some one day....

thanks

fi@no32

Thanks everyone for the replies and to Kevin from Almased for posting some informative stuff. What puts me off going down this route is the seemingly very high sugar content of some meal replacements.

What is the sugar content of Almased, and can anyone explain why this and/or other meal replacements such as Slimfast can reduce blood glucose levels when they up to 28% sugar?

Almased

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks everyone for the replies and to Kevin from Almased for posting some informative stuff. What puts me off going down this route is the seemingly very high sugar content of some meal replacements.

What is the sugar content of Almased, and can anyone explain why this and/or other meal replacements such as Slimfast can reduce blood glucose levels when they up to 28% sugar?

Thanks fi@no32,

As you know, people with diabetes can have a difficult time losing weight. The findings of a recent scientific study are especially interesting for people with diabetes. The participants in the study used 50 g Almased daily as part of their diet, which supported weight loss and healthy blood levels - especially the fasting blood sugar level, the fasting insulin level and the long-term blood sugar level.

The results of another Almased study show that the leptin level improves significantly with weight loss. Leptin plays a major role in the satiety regulation of the brain (telling your body that you’re full) and in the fat burning process. In people who are overweight, those mechanisms are impaired. When weight is lost, particularly in the abdominal area, the feeling of satiety and the fat burning process are typically normalised. A diet incorporating Almased can lead to more weight loss, particularly in the abdominal area. This means that through Almased the satiety regulation of the brain as well as the fat burning process can be regulated much more effectively.

Concerning the sugar content, since Almased has an especially low glycaemic index (27, glucose has 100) the blood sugar level increases only slightly and the body releases a respectively lower amount of insulin. A lower insulin level helps the body burn more fat. Interestingly here, instead of using protein from muscle mass, the body takes its energy from fat deposits, as desired.

Like many programmes involving low calorie diets, the body enters a hunger phase and works at a minimal level. With every diet, the body gets used to a lower basal metabolic rate (amount of energy expenditure/calories burned at rest) instead of “going back to normal” after the diet. It also takes energy reserves in the form of much needed muscle protein. At the same time, the thyroid function is disturbed and the dreaded yo-yo effect sets in once you return to your normal diet. This does not happen on a diet with Almased. I wouldn’t wish to comment on other diet products but let the evidence attached speak for itself.

Furthermore, we have observed the addition of the soya protein as well as the important honey enzymes and yogurt powder work in synergy when they enter the body and benefit the body no end, not only weight-loss. Instead of hitting you with scientific paper after paper, allow me to attach our condensed scientific research booklet for you to peruse at your leisure. After all, it is so important to know that the foods you are consuming are both safe and effective. Hope this helps.

Kevin Greene
Managing Director
Almased UK Ltd

Attachments

• Scientific Research Diabetes.co.uk.pdf
    835.8 KB · Views: 843

noodles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that no best but in reality no nothing x
Hi there.
So I take it no one has tried this as of yet. Would like someone to reply to say they have tried this, before I spend any money in purchasing this item. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1396015017.011127.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1396015017.011127.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 591
Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, I have a tub sitting on my kitchen counter as we speak, half used.

I make up a green smoothie every day, and originally intended to add this in to up the protein levels, but have ended up using it as a 9pm drink, to balance blood sugar over night.

I find it filling and have stopped craving dessert, waiting 2 hrs and having this instead. I mix 5 tablespoons with about 150 mls of hemp or cows milk, and 200 mls water, a tsp of cocoa powder (NOT hot choc mix) and a teensy squidge of agave nectar.

Pros: flavour is ok, blood sugar levels stay stable (I usually rise by 1 or 2 for an hour or two, but how much of that is the milk?), I get a chocolate fix, I'm sleeping well and deeply, and I think my waking blood sugar levels have dropped a smidge.

Cons: It's expensive. Has a slightly earthy, nutty, beany flavour. It's expensive. A tub lasts approx 10 meals. You add in the expense of milk, fruit, etc that you use as additional ingredients.

This is my second tub, and I will probably buy another, but only cheap off eBay, I simply couldn't justify buying it at the full price.

Am happy to answer any other questions...

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I see Almased has an advert in this quarters Balance mag received this morning....has anyone else used this. I only have a small amount of weight to loose but it is proving hard even with low carbing.