Almond flour

Sammie1*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 in Jan my Dr and nurse say I am unusual as I had no symptoms but my question is can we use almond flour and if so dies anyone recommend any recipes.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can use almond flour of course. In fact, it's actually recommended as an alternative to grain flour due to its lower overall carbohydrate content. Less carbs generally means better BG control - and this is especially true for a T2D.

I cannot offer you any recipes I'm afraid as I have never baked with almond flour; flaked almonds on top of my bakewell tarts are about as close as it gets:)

There are a fair amount of recipes containing almonds as replacement for normal flour, that pop up on the forum from time to time. Here's an example of various combinations from @Robbity which received a good few likes from the other forum members.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/mug-cake.79534/#post-914371

The search bar in the top right hand side will be your best option. I'd click on the below link and then maybe try searching for "almond":

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/

pugster75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sammie 1. I too was like you had no symptoms of diabetes, but have now been diagnosed only a month ago, (Drs believe. I have been for. 2-3 years, undetected) first I knew was when i was admitted to hospital and ended up having emergency surgery on an infected foot( I stood on a drawing pin, but didn't realise through neuropathy in my feet)
Anyway, getting back to your question, on the diabetes's uk website, you can download several cookbooks for free, many of the recipes use almond flour or hazelnut flour. My problem is no one seems to know what it is or where I can get it from. The guy in my local health food shop just stared blankly and shrugged his shoulders.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Sammie 1. I too was like you had no symptoms of diabetes, but have now been diagnosed only a month ago, (Drs believe. I have been for. 2-3 years, undetected) first I knew was when i was admitted to hospital and ended up having emergency surgery on an infected foot( I stood on a drawing pin, but didn't realise through neuropathy in my feet)
Anyway, getting back to your question, on the diabetes's uk website, you can download several cookbooks for free, many of the recipes use almond flour or hazelnut flour. My problem is no one seems to know what it is or where I can get it from. The guy in my local health food shop just stared blankly and shrugged his shoulders.
Then he is s****d! You can get almond flour and hazelnut flour at Holland & Barratt and supermarkets like Asda. You can also buy the whole nuts and grind them to flour yourself using anything from a cheap coffee grinder to a top of the range blender. @pugster75

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Almond flour is also known as ground almonds. This should make your search much easier.

Reactions: pugster75

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Ground almonds - I use it in various recipes, starting the day with a "porridge" without oats - just a combination of ground almonds, desiccated coconut, milled flax seed cooked in the usual way. Doesn't spike my blood sugar, & is much more sustaining than oat porridge.

I make a cake substituting ground almonds for wheat flour & leaving out the sugar. My mixtures are rarely the same twice - as long as you don't forget the baking powder, & have soft dropping consistency before baking it should work. A sliced banana should make it sweet enough. 5 minutes in the microwave will cook a recipe with about 150 g "flour"

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK you can buy both almond flour (very finely ground almonds) and ground almonds.
The latter are usually available in the baking section of any supermarket, while you will pay quite a bit extra for the almond flour, and will find it more difficult to locate.

Do you ever shop on Amazon? I find that if I can't source anything locally, I just search on Amazon and hey presto! there it is. Often there is a range of sellers and some very competitive pricing, so nowadays I tend to go there as a first option for anything that is unfamiliar. And I always buy my erythritol from there. The prices are brilliant and usually p&p free.

Anyone wanting LC recipes should check this thread out. It is a kind of index for vegetarian recipes on the forum - and cakes and puddings are usually veggie. :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/
I heartily recommend the stracciatella cake!

Sandra_W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders, Snakes, Exercise, Ignorant people, Non serious diabetics. Being told that "You can't eat that"
Never heard of a substitute for wheat flour before. But just recently came across a recommendation for Coconut Flour, Looked long and hard to eventually find some in Tesco !! but 3.59 for 500g so not cheap. But when I read the label, it's not much different carb wise, to ordinary flour. Apparently you can blend up dessicated coconut to make yourself. My problem is I love Cakes and cookies and pies! So I wish someone would come up with a replacement for flour which is carb free. Does anyone have any experience of using these 'nut' flours, do they actually make much difference to the carb levels? AND do they taste as good???

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sandra_W Hello Sandra have you had the information from @daisy1 for newcomers? I found some lovely recipes on the diabetic good baking.com website. I can definetly recommend the ricotta cake, which is delicious, and the blueberry muffins.

Reactions: Sandra_W

Sandra_W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders, Snakes, Exercise, Ignorant people, Non serious diabetics. Being told that "You can't eat that"
@Sandra_W Hello Sandra have you had the information from @daisy1 for newcomers? I found some lovely recipes on the diabetic good baking.com website. I can definetly recommend the ricotta cake, which is delicious, and the blueberry muffins.

Sandra_W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No I haven't got that info, where would I find it? I'll check out that website though, sounds interesting. Thank you

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
No I haven't got that info, where would I find it? I'll check out that website though, sounds interesting. Thank you

5414c451d859859cccac5832a8647ff8.jpg
index of carbs in various flours

Reactions: Ultramum

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sammie1* @Sandra_W

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.