Almond flour

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I love marzipan, but I don't think it tastes much like anything I bake with ground almonds though - it has a much more intense flavour.

I've always understood ground almonds as being the kernel plus skin and more coarsely ground and the cheaper of the two, and that almond flour was the skinned blanched kernels much more finely ground and also much more expensive, and for example, Sukrin almond flour is also fat reduced while their ground almonds are not! However if you check Google there seem to be varying opinions about whether there are actually any differences. :wideyed:

I use ground almonds (due to the price ,difference) and they are certainly coarser than some other nut and seed flours (e.g. coconut or sesame seed) I've used which are definitely closer in fineness and texture to "normal" flour. But I've also used hazelnut and walnut flour/meal and those I've used have tended to be closer in texture to ground almonds than to flour. Cakes and muffins I've made with ground almonds have a slightly more open texture than if I've used them in combination with the denser coconut or sesame flours. But since I'm not doing "posh" baking I'm not particularly bothered about this!

Robbity

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hankjam - For Kieve styleeee things, we tend to use wither fine desiccated coconut, or a mixture of dedicated dodnut and almond flour.

How did your pancakes go @RFSMarch ?
oh GAWD! Not well! I bought some coconut flour so I might try again with that - but... yeah... very not well.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Is almond flour any good for making pastry? I'm dying to make a pie.
I used coconut flour (half and half with plain flour) to make an apple crumble and my boys said they couldn't tell the difference. Sadly, I can't comment because I didn't have any.
I am also having difficulty finding recipes for sweet things that do not contain artificial sweeteners, any tips?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I have thrown another lot of almond flour cookies away. They was so dence and dry, this is the third lot I have put in the bin. I used 8oz of almond flour, the recipe said 1cup US it seemed a lot of flour. It said one egg butter fruit, put it all in the food food mixer and it was just like a lot of dried up crumbs, added another egg and more butter. They came out horrible, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well after three attempts now to find a useful way of subbing in almond flour - and I am admitting defeat. My last hope is to try spelt flour and reduce the portion down to 60g worth and bulk it out with the veggies I use in it ... sigh! Well at least I tried.

Reactions: hankjam

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my favourite Japanese pancakes with just 60g of spelt flour and (obviously with the whole day take into consideration) I had my lowest blood glucose day to date.

Dropping it to 60g means two largish pancakes with shredded cabbage and bacon. I usually also bulk it out with crab sticks but I forgot to get them this week!

It is usually my Monday night meal. How I have missed it!