1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Alpha lipoic acid

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Sapien, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Sapien

Sapien Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Do diabetics take alpha lipoic acid primarily to help with neuropathy or does it also have an effect on the liver that helps lower blood sugar? Has anyone taken it and seen a drop in fasting blood sugar?

Edit: typo originally wrote lipoid instead of lipoic

#1 Sapien, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:14 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to take it to help manage blood sugars. I haven't for a while. I've just ordered some more. Thanks for the reminder. Does it make a difference? It's too difficult to say but I'm trying everything.

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Do you mean Alpha Lipoic Acid? I take it, but I take the R-Fraction ALA as it is more effective and 100% natural ALA.
    I have mild chemo induced neuropathy in my feet, not diabetic neuropathy. It sure works on that! I have been taking it a few years now but can't say I have noticed a drop in fasting blood sugar - my FBS is OK anyway. It does say in the stuff that comes with it that it can lower blood sugars with a warning that you need to watch out if you are on diabetes meds in case you drop too low. I have no idea if this is true for everyone, and I haven't noticed it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take it in the form of milled flaxseed (or chia seeds sometimes) because I'm vegan, and I need a good source of ALA. Flaxseed is a brilliant source and goes well in my (non dairy) milk or yoghurt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I take R-ALA.... good for nerve damage to the lower legs and in my experience it does lower blood glucose levels, so be careful if using anything that lowers levels, insulin etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

I had no idea flaxseed contains Alpha Lipoic Acid? It isn't mentioned as a source in anything I have read.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/alpha-lipoic-acid#sources-and-dosage

7. WuTwo

https://www.vegan.com/omega-3/

I quote:

"Vegans can easily meet their ALA needs by consuming a little ground chia or ground flax seeds every day. These seeds are so rich in ALA that it’s possible to cover your entire day’s needs with just a tablespoon. With chia it’s desirable to grind the seeds for better absorption by the body, and with flax it’s imperative to do so—flax is essentially indigestible unless the seeds are ground up. It’s wise to grind right before eating, since ground seeds quickly go rancid without refrigeration. A mortar and pestle or a cheap spinning-blade coffee grinder will do the job in seconds. Just don’t use a burr-style coffee grinder, or any grinder that’s not based on a spinning blade, or you’ll ruin your machine!"

Also:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-flaxseeds#section2

(not saying I believe all the wonderful claims made about it, but I do use it as a source of ALA)

8. Bluetit1802

I thought this must be the case. You are mixing up Alpha Lipoic Acid with Alpha Linolenic Acid. Alpha Linolenic is a fatty acid that is one of the omega 3 fatty acids. Alpha Lipoic Acid is completely different. They are both shortened to ALA, which is where the confusion arises. Flaxseed is an excellent source of Alpha Linolenic Acid (omega 3) but not of Alpha Lipoic Acid.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. WuTwo

Thank you! That's very kind of you, and I appreciate your letting me know.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. mefunk

mefunk Type 1 · Member

My orthopedist recommended taking several supplements to address leg neuropathy due to spinal stenois, radiculitis etc. I gave the list of supplements to my Endo just to make sure none of them adversely affected my BGLs. He was fine with me taking all of them and went on to say that he recently read a clinical article from a German study that demonstrated that Alpha Lipoic Acid is effective in helping diabetics with neuropothy and that German docs are now prescribing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bluetit1802

It has been used extensively in Germany, but generally only in the more severe cases and is administered in large doses by intravenous infusion. Maybe they are now prescribing it in tablet form for less severe cases, I don't know. All I know is it works for me, and my chemo induced neuropathy is mild to begin with.

12. Higgipop (wots it all about)

It works for me also but l use the expensive stabilised version doctors best.
    Now here's the interesting bit.. l take it in the evening and it clearly stabilises my blood levels during my sleep so no dawn phanoman giving me an average level reading of 5.2 to 5.6 over a 7hr sleep period.. happy days

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook