Alternative to almond flour

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK here is my problem. Every time I have anything from the almond family I start experiencing many of the symptoms associated with a nut allergy. As a result doctors have suggested I stay clear of most types of nut. Consequently, almond flour is not an option for cooking. I know many people suggest coconut flour as an alternative, but as a pensioner, I am now on a smaller income and the cost is simply prohibitive - at an average of £7 a kilo it is simply beyond my pocket

Can anyone suggest a suitable and affordable alternative? The flour is primarily intended for baking, so ideally it should react in a similar way to normal flour.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am now on a smaller income and the cost is simply prohibitive - at an average of £7 a kilo it is simply beyond my pocket
Not sure if you realise this but using coconut flour means you use very little of the stuff, so look at some recipes and see exactly how much is used as it might work out cheaper than you think.

Be warned though it is an acquired taste.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do without flour fullstop?? I do.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I used Millet flour recently, well teenager did, as she wanted to make GF cakes and we tweaked the recipe and the cakes were really good.

Reactions: robert72

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry to hear this. a nut allergy on top of various other food restrictions must be more than a small inconvenience.

I hesitate to suggest other nut flours, in case you have intolerances to them, too. But you could try gram (chickpea) flour, and soya, and see if they are any good.

Unfortunately, I find that the pulse flours have quite an impact on my blood glucose, so worth doing some testing before you assume they are OK.

There are a few chocolate cake/dessert recipes out there that avoid flour completely, using the cocoa powder in the recipe in its place. Delia Smith's choc roulade recipe is one example. And it is divine.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Welshman1952 Slightly off topic - Do you have a dessert in mind for Christmas Day? If you are scratching your head at the thought of your first Christmas as a diabetic, nut-avoiding vegan, give me a shout :cat:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do quite a lot of baking. I use mainly almond flour but I find soya and chickpea flour good too. Chickpea slightly higer in carbs but you can use mix of soya/chickpea. It should work very well

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just swap erythritol for the sugar in recipes :) but there are several different options of sweetener you can choose from, if you prefer.
thanks I have been using xylitol for baking so may try this fat laden treat