Alternative to Lantus

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I would like to try another insulin and get off Lantus and have some questions.
Would I need to change my doses or are alternatives for a long acting similar strengths?
Am thinking Levamer (possible wrong spelling?). How do they compare?
Many thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why do you want to change and where do you live?
I would recommend discussing with your diabetes team/consultant as they will be able to advise and prescribe an alternative if they agree with you that it is necessary.

Wooly123

Hi I used to be on Lantus but struggled with night hypos. I have been switched over to Levimir for a few years now and it has improved, however I have been taking it at split doses. Once in the morning and once in the evening before bed. I do still get hypos at night but definitely not as intense as I used to when on Lantus.

Wooly123

Hi I used to be on Lantus but struggled with night hypos. I have been switched over to Levimir for a few years now and it has improved, however I have been taking it at split doses. Once in the morning and once in the evening before bed. I do still get hypos at night but definitely not as intense as I used to when on Lantus.

I would like to add also that I think my night hypos are not so much to do with the levimir as they often happen before I’ve even taken my bedtime dose. I put it down to my evening jogs and the fact that my body needs less insulin for my evening meal (half the amount than the rest of the day) so I think I maybe inject more than I need for dinner ‍♀️ With lantus I used to wake up with terrible hypos at night. I find levimir keeps it more sure and steady as long as you aren’t injecting too much of it

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I would like to try another insulin and get off Lantus and have some questions.
Would I need to change my doses or are alternatives for a long acting similar strengths?
Am thinking Levamer (possible wrong spelling?). How do they compare?
Many thanks

I have changed from Abasaglar (a Lantus biosimilar product) to Levemir and I have very few hypo's now. Haven't had any night time hypo's since I started using it so for me it's been great.

I found I had to up my dose and now take 24u daily as opposed to 20u of Abasaglar but I believe that the text book answer would be that 1u of Abasaglar (Lantus) equals 1u of Levemir.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm on Levemir and it is supposedly slightly better than Lantus. It is more predictable but doesn't last 24 hours so really needs two shots. It also doesn't sting. My diabetes consultant last week suggested Tresiba might be better for me as it lasts 48 hours?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I was on lancet us and am now on Levimir, my consultant told me lancets was les predictable ! I was on 24 units of Lanctus but now on two doses of levimir 12 each , 12 hours apart! Like others have said less hypos during the night