Altitude And Blood Sugar Meter Readings

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have experience with altitude and blood sugar meter readings? Google throws up mixed results with reports of meters reading lower or higher. Presumably reduced oxygen has some impact on the chemical process of the strip/blood etc, but does that same reduced oxygen impact the body's processes?

I'm in Mexico City at the moment and haven't had a reading below 6 for three days. Nothing major but a little (0.5 - 0.8) outside of my recent patterns. I am always interested to understand the impact of whatever environment I am in.

There are plenty more variables at play for me too, including long haul flying, jet lag, change in climate etc so I know there is no definitive answer to what is a relatively minor change in readings, but if there is one major take away from these forums it is the usefulness of following reading patterns. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @TonyHancock I use my meter whilst skiing so at altitudes of around 1850m to around 2800m and I don't have issues with readings as long as my meter is warm and kept close to my body, it's affected by the cold more than anything. Travelling with different climates/food/exercise/stress/sleep patterns would have more of an effect on my BG levels than anything.

Reactions: TonyHancock

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it possible that at altitude your body is working harder so glucose levels are lowered because of this?
No basis for this except I have found breathing harder at altitude.

Reactions: TonyHancock