alton towers..

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hey guys,

i'm going to alton towers for the first time since being on a pump on the 18th April, as my birthday is on the 21st, YEY! :)

just wondering is it safe to go on rides with the pump?

would it be easier to go back to injections for a day? i really dont want to as last time i went when i was on MDI i had quite a few hypo's even with drastically reducing my Background insulin :(

i just wanna go on the rides until i puke :lol:

ZACNEMMA

Advice from my 15 year old who pumps would be - keep your pump safe, remove if you have to. Check bloods more often if you do decice to remove for rides that toss you all over the place. Take back up injections, just in case. Make sure you got your fast acting glucose and finally enjoy.

Have a great time, Zac and Emma

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

In that case, I would suggest AIR, then NEMESIS. After Air I felt sick, and after Nemesis I WAS sick! :oops:

There's also a ride near Oblivion (Oblivion is my favourite!!!), which looks like a horizontal Big Wheel with 2 person cages. I was sickafter that one, too. :oops:

Re: the pump. if it was me, I'd probably go back on injections, specificaly to avoid damage to the pump. Some of those rides clampyou in pretty tight, and the saftey harness might squash the pump against your body, or damage the pump.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Read your pump manual. Either I read it in our manual or the rep told us, I can't remember which now, but it was advised not to wear the pump on anti-gravity type theme park rides. I don't remember the reasons now but it was important not to wear the pump whilst taking part on these types of rides.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't even got my pump yet, but I distinctly remember at the information session the DSNs said pumps shoud be removed before going on rollercoasters etc. Don't know why I rembered that, it won't be an issue for me!!

spideog

I think the issue is that some of the rides will use powerful magnets for breaking and that could effect the pump. The actual motion shouldn't be a problem so long as you have it strapped on securely and under a layer of clothes for extra, but the technology of some rides may mess with it.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi guys,

thanks for your replies :)

i've been to see my nurse today so i asked her, and she said she wasn't too sure and to ring Roche, so i did, and the guy's response was that nobody had asked him before, but he kindly went and asked someone who knew and they said they knew of no reason why it could cause mechanical failure.

Obviously he said to keep it secure if i do take it on rides and for water rides make sure it cant be soaked.

I think i shall take it, but take it off on certain rides, i have a friend who's coming who is a total wuss and a 'bag holder' so she can be my pump minder too :lol:

I want to test out more oppurtunities for temporary basal rates, and hopefully it will be sunny too so another thing to tackle :)

I shall take my back up pens just incase, lots of glucose tablets too!

Patch said:

In that case, I would suggest AIR, then NEMESIS. After Air I felt sick, and after Nemesis I WAS sick! :oops:

There's also a ride near Oblivion (Oblivion is my favourite!!!), which looks like a horizontal Big Wheel with 2 person cages. I was sickafter that one, too. :oops:

Re: the pump. if it was me, I'd probably go back on injections, specificaly to avoid damage to the pump. Some of those rides clampyou in pretty tight, and the saftey harness might squash the pump against your body, or damage the pump.

Patch... i shall be going on ALL rides, as many times as i can manage! the nemesis is my favourite, the only ride that ever made me puke was the hyper blaster at pleasure island in cleethorpes, however that was after my seventh go and i think i was 12 or 13 so i had probably stuffed myself full of sweets and cr*p beforehand (pre-diabetes :lol:)

Thanks again for all your replies and i shall update after i've been for future reference :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spideog said:
I think the issue is that some of the rides will use powerful magnets for breaking and that could effect the pump. The actual motion shouldn't be a problem so long as you have it strapped on securely and under a layer of clothes for extra, but the technology of some rides may mess with it.

That's right, now you mention the magnets it's reminded me of what was said. Definitely something to do with strong magnets interfering with the pump and we were advised to remove the pump for those rides.