Am i becoming type 1

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I think I may be changing into a type 1 from 2 is this possible my meds seem less effective and my blood sugars are going up my thirst and head aches and a funny feeling in my fingers have returned any advice would be appreciated

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been told and read a few times that this quite rarely occurs.

It might be that you are becoming more resistant to insulin. This is only a guess however as my knowledge of type 2 is very limited.

If your sugars are high then you will feel thirsty, have a headache and less well. I do when my sugars are raised.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Co
I've been told and read a few times that this quite rarely occurs.

It might be that you are becoming more resistant to insulin. This is only a guess however as my knowledge of type 2 is very limited.

If your sugars are high then you will feel thirsty, have a headache and less well. I do when my sugars are raised.

Could it be I've built up a tolerance to metformin

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm afraid I'm not sure as I don't take metformin and I don't know a great deal about it.

However I hVe read on here that people have upped their doses (on the advise of their doctor of course) so might be worth visiting you dr to ask about putting it up if you are concerned

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible that you were mis-diagnosed and might be L.A.D.A. Type 1.5 which is like a slow onset Type 1 (not that I know much about this).

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well they originally said I was type 1 coz of my age but they started me on metformin to help me till I could get sorted with insulin but the tablets worked really well and lower my blood sugars right down so they said I was just a type 2 but now the tablets don't seem to be working much now

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Hi there, I would strongly suggest seeing your GP sooner rather than later if you b.g is climbing (best to jump on these things quickly) and just talk to them about your concerns. It may just be a case of increasing your medication but then again if you are developing type 1 diabetes it's best to be diagnosed quickly and start new medication. Keep us updated and best of luck :)

thewelshandy

Hi, new to both diabetes and the forum (I'm 32, fit and very active) but was originally diagnosed as type 2 just before new year but my GP did an extra blood test to be sure (think it was an antibody test but not 100%) as due to my age and lifestyle type 2 didn't really click. The results came back as LADA (type 1.5). As suggested earlier this is often mis diagnosed as type 2 and is autoimmune triggered and progressive towards towards insulin dependence. Basically you present in most cases as type 2 and the type 2 treatments do work for a while but as the beta cells wear out and insulin resistance also increases (a great double whammy!) BG starts to raise and meds seem to become ineffective. What you are describing sounds to me like exactly what my nurse warned me to keep an eye for.
Can only echo what everyone is saying and GP as soon as poss, as the key is identifying LADA (if it is in your case). Loads of info out there on google but the usual pinch of salt approach is needed. Hope you get it sorted