Am I doing the wrong thing by my kids?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So what about short people?

My dad was only 5ft 6 and size 7 shoe, he lived to be 94. My mum was 5ft 3 and lived until she was 76, heart failure, thankfully, neither had diabetes, I am 5ft 2 :) but like to feel, on the inside, 6ft 2 :D

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dad was only 5ft 6 and size 7 shoe, he lived to he 94. My mum was 5ft 3 and lived until she was 76, heart failure, thankfully, neither had diabetes, I am 5ft 2 :) but like to feel, on the inside, 6ft 2 :D

So living proof that size doesn't matter....and it is possible to be well nourished even when you are 'short'. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So what about short people?
That would be me.....
Up until the age of two I lived with my parents in my grandmother's house and was fed sugar water to keep me quiet at night - there were people needing their sleep as they worked. I looked like the Michelin tire man with rolls of fat - and I did not grow to my full potential. My sister is even shorter, not even 5 ft tall. She was a baby when we had moved to my father's father's house to nurse grandma who was dying from the complications of diabetes. She had such bad teeth as a child.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be me.....
Up until the age of two I lived with my parents in my grandmother's house and was fed sugar water to keep me quiet at night - there were people needing their sleep as they worked. I looked like the Michelin tire man with rolls of fat - and I did not grow to my full potential. My sister is even shorter, not even 5 ft tall. She was a baby when we had moved to my father's father's house to nurse grandma who was dying from the complications of diabetes. She had such bad teeth as a child.
So height is all about nutrition? What about illness and genes? I feel judged by your comments.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So height is all about nutrition? What about illness and genes? I feel judged by your comments.
In many cases height really is all about correct nutrition in the first of years of life - as is formation of the brain, where the white matter is composed of cholesterol - genes and illness can have an effect on an individual, but nutrition in the early years of life, starting from conception does have a significant effect on height as an adult.
I don't judge my own parents for their actions to keep their babies quiet - it seems entirely understandable - I'm not judging, but I have a scientific background, starting with Biology Chemistry Physics at school, then BSc Biology, and there is a lot of information out there on nutrition and development.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cocosilk, it's hard with kids of that age isn't it! I became quite obsessed with what my children ate when they were that age but in the end I thought, instead of trying to have countless age appropriate conversations with them, I just restricted what 'junk' they ate at home without them particularly noticing, and when they were out with others...well...what can you do! I think the more I went on about it the more they perceived that 'sweets' were the holy grail and must therefore be grabbed at every opportunity. I think if MOST of the time they have access to the good stuff then they will turn out fine. It's when they get to adulthood that the problems around food really start! x
Yes, I've heard this age is the easy part of parenting "Bigger kids, bigger problems" I'm often told. All I have to worry about now is things like this, and explaining to my 3yo why it's not a good idea to have a pillow fight with his 9 month old baby brother who can't yet defend himself. (Happening as I write this.)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So living proof that size doesn't matter....and it is possible to be well nourished even when you are 'short'. :)

My dad came from a very poor family in Gallowgate Scotland, my mum came from a more middle class family and grew up in a beautiful Scottish village.