Am i losing hypo awareness??

saz1902

Hi all! I dont know if this is the right forum for this question, but has anyone else had 2 or more days in a row where they went low with no warning signs? Last night my hubby found me a wreck in the bathroom, not able to really move or say to much. Tested and i had got to 2 mmol. I had no signs, just suddenly felt really bad. Then tonight, i just randomly did a test 2 hours after dinner as i had a slightly different dinner, and was 2.9 mmol. Again with no signs! Am i losing my awareness or just "off days"? Any ideas or experiences greatly welcomed! Thank you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It does appear you are losing your hypo awareness as those levels are quite low, the usual advice is to run your bg higher than normal for several weeks to restore your awareness.

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
I've lost mine after 30years :( been found in strange places or doing silly things the longest I was out for was 2 hours on the bathroom floor , driving licence has gone now due to this as well but I chose to stop driving long before the doc gave me a letter daughter is happy as she got my car ! I've had a lot of lows trying to get my blood under control after years of not bothering , this is part a cause doc says it can take months to become aware once more and warning signs might change , so your not alone hope I've been a little help keith.

saz1902

Hi noblehead. Any idea what a higher number is? I obviously dont want to be too high for too long, but will try anything to get it back! Thankyou so much for replying.

saz1902

Hello Keith. Thanks for sharing your story. I have only been diagnosed since December last year, so not as much experience as you :) Thanks for replying, nice to hear im not alone :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Noblehead is correct. You need to maintain slightly higher than normal levels for a few weeks, around 8 or 9. This will cause no lasting damage and your hypo awareness will return. If your levels are low quite a lot, your body becomes accustomed to this, hence, hypo awareness goes. Good luck.
Mo

saz1902

Hi mo. My numbers have been abit all over lately. I will try to keep them where you suggest and keep my fingers crossed x i am not sure how i will keep them stable, but will deffo try :) thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
saz1902 said:
Hi noblehead. Any idea what a higher number is? I obviously dont want to be too high for too long, but will try anything to get it back! Thankyou so much for replying.

I can't really answer that and this is something you should discuss with your HCP's to decide on what levels to aim for. Obviously more rigorous testing is required during this period to avoid hypo's completely, however going by accounts from members of this forum who have experienced the same the hypo awareness does return in most cases.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I test regularly because a lot of the time I will feel when I'm below 3.5 but there are occasions when I don't feel any different and I'm at 2.9 ! This happens about every 2 in 10 hypos and luckily I don't have that many lows BSs now as I'm on a pump and I adjust my insulin as needed. I really don't know why it is that they are mostly recognisable but now and again they're not which seems like what you are experiencing Saz.

saz1902

Thanks all. Just scared it wont come back. Dont want to lose my driving license and be to nervous to do anything. Just hope it all works out after trying the higher bs for a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your replies x