Am I still diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
You also need to rest or sit quietly for the 2 hours. Some folk have had tests at the GP's and told to come back after 2 hours, so they go off and look round the shops etc, burning up the glucose! That's one reason why the OGTT is out of favour with the NHS because the method isn't always consistent, but it is more informative than the FBG.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

yes, that's why I'm going to do it fairly early before the dog starts hankering for his first walk.

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Any results?

Hi .... most likely tomorrow. I need to be up and about before 6 to give myself a good three hours before the dog walk. Nearly lost the topping off my homemade pizza into the oven just now!!! Looks a bit of a roadkill but never mind.

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
janeecee said:
Any results?

Hi .... most likely tomorrow. I need to be up and about before 6 to give myself a good three hours before the dog walk. Nearly lost the topping off my homemade pizza into the oven just now!!! Looks a bit of a roadkill but never mind.

Hi, I published them about 15 mins ago but now the blog has disappeared!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
gezzathorpe said:
Yes gezzathorpe, saw the results. Thanks for posting your test ... and you do seem to be diabetic/glucose intolerant. :clap: :crazy:
Like you my first level insulin response seems to be shot, with BG peaking @ 1hr. You commented on where your BG was heading at 2.5 hr (hypo?) It looked to me like it had got to 4.8 (about same as starting BG ~5) Perhaps a litle overshoot but that happens to me not infrequently (dip to 3.8 then liver dumps me back to 4.2).
Mind you look how close you came to reading not even glucose intolerant :shock: and you with a peak of ~14.7 :thumbdown: They need to look at how the BG reads over the 2-2.5 hr period and say you are/aren't diabetic BUT look at this ... :roll:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
gezzathorpe said:
janeecee said:
Any results?

Hopefully the mods will put the thread back up..It could be that a spammer had hi-jacked the thread and it's just being cleaned up..would be interested in the results...Lucozade is horrible first thing in the morning though-Bleurgh

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Tubsolard said:
..would be interested in the results...Lucozade is horrible first thing in the morning though-Bleurgh
While it was still up I grabbed the figures :
0:00 5.0
0:15 8.3
0:30 11.2
0:45 12.5
1:00 14.7
1:15 14
1:30 12.9
1:45 9.7
2:00 8.7
2:15 5.4
2:30 4.8
Gezzathorpe can update when he has time!
Tubsolard said:
...Lucozade is horrible first thing in the morning though-Bleurgh
What do you mean ... "first thing in the morning", horrible ANYTIME! :lolno:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
okayyyy, i dont get this at all? you tested yourself to prove you were diabetic? ummmm did you want a positive result or negative? people accused you of not being diabetic? yup im totally confused, i didnt see your results but it sounds like you are indeed diabetic, im not sure if congratulations are in order lol, weird thread me thinks :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
FergusCrawford said:
Tubsolard said:
..would be interested in the results...Lucozade is horrible first thing in the morning though-Bleurgh
While it was still up I grabbed the figures :
0:00 5.0
0:15 8.3
0:30 11.2
0:45 12.5
1:00 14.7
1:15 14
1:30 12.9
1:45 9.7
2:00 8.7
2:15 5.4
2:30 4.8
Gezzathorpe can update when he has time!
Tubsolard said:
...Lucozade is horrible first thing in the morning though-Bleurgh
What do you mean ... "first thing in the morning", horrible ANYTIME! :lolno:

Thanks fergus!

As you say-definitely an issue with the first phase insulin response but the guidelines would put his +2 in the IGT category but other thinking suggests any reading above 11 would be indicitive of T2 and 14.7 is comfortably above that..as you say,would be worth Gezza taking the results and discussing with his GP.

Del Boy recommends a Pernod and Lucozade in only fools and horses! I'll take his word for that! :shock:

A

Anonymous

FergusCrawford said:
gezzathorpe said:
Yes gezzathorpe, saw the results. Thanks for posting your test ... and you do seem to be diabetic/glucose intolerant. :clap: :crazy:
Like you my first level insulin response seems to be shot, with BG peaking @ 1hr. You commented on where your BG was heading at 2.5 hr (hypo?) It looked to me like it had got to 4.8 (about same as starting BG ~5) Perhaps a litle overshoot but that happens to me not infrequently (dip to 3.8 then liver dumps me back to 4.2).
Mind you look how close you came to reading not even glucose intolerant :shock: and you with a peak of ~14.7 :thumbdown: They need to look at how the BG reads over the 2-2.5 hr period and say you are/aren't diabetic BUT look at this ... :roll:

Hi, it didn't end there. I dropped rapidly into a quite severe hypo (for me). I didn't even wait to test but threw some weetabix and banana down PDQ. I will NEVER do that test again!

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
FergusCrawford said:

Looks like my prediction was pretty close to the mark "My prediction is that my bG will be more than 4.0 mmol/L above my fasting level and more than 7.8 mmol/L" ... not bad!. :D

It didn't end there. I dropped rapidly into a quite severe hypo (for me). I didn't even wait to test but threw some weetabix and banana down PDQ. I will NEVER do that test again! Any ideas on that?, e.g. reactive hypoglaecemia? One site says that can non-diabetics can get that. I will show the chart to my DN next week and report back.

7R4kBIgoBD7pPpEzq2z8nufX8fetsF8ex0eo1j3b7bU=w500-h400-p-no

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting your experiment and for being brave enough to chuck that poison down first thing. Something I definitely WON'T do until I've got my day-to-day numbers well under control. I've seen the results of other well managed T2s fall into the IGT range after being in the diabetic range at diagnosis. So once again, blood glucose metabolism is something that can be improved with good management of the factors that can be changed (and timely diagnosis). What were your OGTT readings at diagnosis?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Gezza,

What are your hypo symptoms like?

The hypo levels you quote for you are within normal range for non-diabetic people.

If you were to spread your total carb intake through the day, what levels do you achieve then?

Clearly, it is unwise for anyone to chuck in huge amounts of high carb stuff without protein and fat to give a balanced meal.

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Thanks for posting your experiment and for being brave enough to chuck that poison down first thing. Something I definitely WON'T do until I've got my day-to-day numbers well under control. I've seen the results of other well managed T2s fall into the IGT range after being in the diabetic range at diagnosis. So once again, blood glucose metabolism is something that can be improved with good management of the factors that can be changed (and timely diagnosis). What were your OGTT readings at diagnosis?

I don't have the original OGTT on me. As it was 5 years ago I didn't know enough about diabetes to think to ask. But I should be able to find out when I see my DN on Wednesday, and let you know. If it was significantly higher then, then my regime, including carb intake, would seem to be doing me some good. Maybe I could join the 'reversal' club? :?: :eh:

Lucozade is 'c...p' in liquid and solid form. I haven't touched any manufactured soft drinks for many years ... I make my own with soda water and fresh fruit, ginger etc. My breakfast of 2 weetabix and banana sorted my hypo out. More nutritious than lucozade etc. and no bG dive afterwards as happened just after the experiment using lucozade ended. That was not fun!

A

Anonymous

Ambersilva said:
Hello Gezza,

What are your hypo symptoms like?

The hypo levels you quote for you are within normal range for non-diabetic people.

If you were to spread your total carb intake through the day, what levels do you achieve then?

Clearly, it is unwise for anyone to chuck in huge amounts of high carb stuff without protein and fat to give a balanced meal.

Symptoms are weakness, shakiness, light-headed, anxiety and a need to eat something!

I didn't think that I quoted any hypo numbers from the experiment. The lowest bG I got during the experiment was 4.8 which is not low enough for me to hypo. The hypo happened afterwards and I was more concerned about sorting it than measuring it. I usually hypo at 3.9 and have been down to 2.9 so I'm pretty sure it was below 3.9 from past experience. It was worse than I often get during the afternoon dog walk. The latter is a doddle to sort, as I just eat a nutritious apple. It would be good to know that I have moved from being diagnosed as diabetic 5 years ago to the point where I may now be glucose intolerant as it would shows that my regime is having a positive effect, which, after all, is what it's all about.

I have been thinking of spreading the carbs through the day since I am just sat on my **** in the evening and wasting unused energy. I would expect my evening post-prandial bG to go down, and daytime post-prandial bGs to go up, which is stating the obvious really. This would, I think, bring my average bG over time down more as I am using up more energy when required.

I eat whatever I fancy, balanced or unbalanced, and it seems that, thus far, it is not doing me any apparent harm. Last night I made a wholemeal pizza, ate a quarter of it with cauliflower and got a 9.9. But, never mind, it's not often my bGs go that high and I don't eat homemade pizza every day.

I'm sitting at 4.5 at the moment so had better grab a sandwich.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting BG levels down to normal levels is what good control is about, isn't it? I understand that not everyone can do it because of the progression of their condition, genetics, late diagnosis, etc. Impaired Glucose Tolerance is still a condition that needs to be managed, and usually that means lifestyle interventions alone, as medication isn't deemed appropriate at that stage.

Referring to the Newcastle Diet (again), those shakes aren't what I'd call 'low carb' when you consider that the carb content of one shake is the equivalent of 5-6 teaspoons of sugar. I wonder what the +2 hours reading is with one of those, at least for some folk.

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Getting BG levels down to normal levels is what good control is about, isn't it? I understand that not everyone can do it because of the progression of their condition, genetics, late diagnosis, etc. Impaired Glucose Tolerance is still a condition that needs to be managed, and usually that means lifestyle interventions alone, as medication isn't deemed appropriate at that stage.

Referring to the Newcastle Diet (again), those shakes aren't what I'd call 'low carb' when you consider that the carb content of one shake is the equivalent of 5-6 teaspoons of sugar. I wonder what the +2 hours reading is with one of those, at least for some folk.

Yes, in my case I have appear to have moved from diagnosis of diabetes 5 years ago to impaired glucose tolerance, subject to confirmation or otherwise by my GP/DN. Is that what people mean by reversal? So clearly, lifestyle changes (e.g. no alcohol, fresh food whenever possible, cooking from scratch, no diabetic meds or dietary supplements , eating when hungry, plenty of fruit, getting a dog (and exercise!), early retirement to find the time for these things... etc. etc.) has had a positive impact on me (except for loss of earnings!), it would seem. I'll stick to this lifestyle regardless of what my DN says about my OGTT.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting results. A random test above 11.1mmol/l on two occasions is enough to diagnose diabetes; however most people don't have a random test an hour after eating candy floss (or lucozade)
Normal OGGTs don't reach that high, though they do follow a similar pattern, a classic diabetes pattern is to go up and then come down slowly. However, In the US they say that a one hour level of 200mg/dl (11.1mmol/l) [ venous ] is abnormal.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003938/

There are quite a few normal curves on the web to compare with. Google: normal ogtt curve images

A

Anonymous

phoenix said:
Interesting results. A random test above 11.1mmol/l on two occasions is enough to diagnose diabetes; however most people don't have a random test an hour after eating candy floss (or lucozade)
Normal OGGTs don't reach that high, though they do follow a similar pattern, a classic diabetes pattern is to go up and then come down slowly. However, In the US they say that a one hour level of 200mg/dl (11.1mmol/l) [ venous ] is abnormal.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003938/

There are quite a few normal curves on the web to compare with. Google: normal ogtt curve images

Ha! two tests each an hour after eating candy floss or lucozade wouldn't be random. :lol: Thanks for the search words ... will take a peep.

A

Anonymous

FergusCrawford said:

Hi, when you refer to 'first level insulin response, are you talking about Stage I T2? I found this extract from a paper which seems to mirror my chart (isn't that always the case!). If so, then, as you say, I am diabetic, and at Stage I, explained by the high of 14.7-12.9 between 1hr and 1.5hrs into the test followed by a rapid drop continuing to a hypo (recognised by symptoms) at 2:45hrs (not added as outside test period and due to urgency of the situation).

STAGE 1: COMPENSATION

The most common example of compensation is found with the insulin resistance due to obesity, which is accompanied by higher overall rates of insulin secretion (2) and increased acute glucose-stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS) following an intravenous glucose challenge (3). Much of the increase in insulin secretion undoubtedly results from an increase in β-cell mass, as has been found in autopsy studies in humans (4–7) and numerous rodent models (8,9). Beta-Cell mass is normally tightly maintained through a balance of β-cell birth (β-cell replication and islet neogenesis) and β-cell death through apoptosis (10). Most of the increase in β-cell mass with insulin resistance is probably due to increased β-cell number, but β-cell hypertrophy may also contribute. It is not yet clear if the higher plasma insulin levels can be entirely explained by the larger β-cell mass or whether there is also increased secretion per given unit of β-cell mass. Although compensation is usually thought of in the situation of insulin resistance, similar changes presumably occur in the early stages of autoimmune destruction. As β-cell mass falls, there must be a signal to increase mass and secretion, which presumably prolong the prediabetic period, which can last for years (11).

Status
Not open for further replies.