Am I still diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I have had a number of people questioning whether I am really diabetic in the light of my latest blood tests and other comments I have made. My regime, readings and weight loss have been treated with a degree of cynicism by some. I am prepared to conduct an experiment which replicates my original glucose tolerance test from 5 years ago, if anyone is interested in this and the results.

The only condition is that NO ONE disputes the method described below or the validity of the test AFTER THE EVENT. If anyone has any issues about these then I wish to know beforehand and make adjustments if necessary.

The method:

1. At 7:00am by my Citizen watch, wash hands thoroughly, take blood glucose reading and record
2. Drink 1 litre of original Lucozade within 2 minutes whilst remaining seated
3. Record time on same watch and sit quietly and eat nothing for exactly 2 hours
4. Take reading every 15 minutes including a final test exactly 2 hours after drinking Lucozade

My prediction is that my bG will be more than 4.0 mmol/L above my fasting level and more than 7.8 mmol/L (non-diabetic)

Anything wrong with that anyone?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Try testing within a few minutes e.g. every 15 minutes, I think that's what they do at the hossie. Strangely one of my neighbours was diagnosed diabetic with a reading of 4.7. Bizarre!!!

A

Anonymous

dawnmc said:
Try testing within a few minutes e.g. every 15 minutes, I think that's what they do at the hossie. Strangely one of my neighbours was diagnosed diabetic with a reading of 4.7. Bizarre!!!

Thanks, I'll try that ... have added to the method. My fingers will look like pin cushions. :(

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
I have had a number of people questioning whether I am really diabetic in the light of my latest blood tests and other comments I have made. My regime, readings and weight loss have been treated with a degree of cynicism by some. I am prepared to conduct an experiment which replicates my original glucose tolerance test from 5 years ago, if anyone is interested in this and the results.

The only condition is that NO ONE disputes the method described below or the validity of the test AFTER THE EVENT. If anyone has any issues about these then I wish to know beforehand and make adjustments if necessary.

The method:

1. At 7:00am by my Citizen watch, wash hands thoroughly, take blood glucose reading and record
3. Record time on same watch and sit quietly and eat nothing for exactly 2 hours
4. Take reading every 15 minutes including a final test exactly 2 hours after drinking Lucozade

will be intrigued to see the result

My prediction is that my bG will be more than 4.0 mmol/L above my fasting level and more than 7.8 mmol/L (non-diabetic)

A

Anonymous

Tubsolard said:
gezzathorpe said:

The method:

I take it that you see no 'flaws' in the test?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
Tubsolard said:
gezzathorpe said:

The method:

I take it that you see no 'flaws' in the test?

No,very similar method to when I took an OGTT at home 6 months ago

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
gezzathorpe said:

The method:

2. Drink 1 litre of original Lucozade within 2 minutes whilst remaining seated.
The test uses 75g of glucose – which you will get from 394ml or 421g of Original Lucozade.

I tried a OGTT @ start of year Figs below:
So I would be test as a non diabetic but my phase 1 insulin response is shot and a slight bg over-compensate at the ~2hr point.
Time
Elapsed Time B.G.
00:00 09:17 5.3
00:14 09:31 6.7
00:29 09:46 9.7
00:45 10:02 10.2
01:03 10:20 10.1
01:18 10:35 7.8
01:36 10:53 6.6
01:55 11:12 5
02:11 11:28 4.4

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I shouldn't bother if I were you. If you 'pass 'it, will you consider yourself a non diabetic ?I
Your method works well for you, don't let others negate what you have done.
The big test for you would be if you became ill and your insulin resistance and insulin needs increased. Similarly if you had to reduce your daily exercise. If you gained weight again you might also find that higher levels returned.

If you do decide to do the test, check the protocol here:
Measure - using a measuring jug and syringe to ensure accuracy:
410 mls of flat new formulation of Lucozade Energy Original (70 kcal per
100ml
)
at the moment you're proposing to use over double the normal amount of glucozade needed!
http://www.erypct.nhs.uk/upload/HERHIS/ ... _apr09.pdf
(note that fingertip tests are testing capillary blood This reflects arterial , not venous blood as use in a lab test. There is a difference, particularly in the post prandial (normally the arterial is higher) Themagnitude of this difference may vary between individuals and even the same individual on different occasions. Moreover you will be testing with a home meter)
"]Simultaneous measurements of arterial and venous blood samples should produce different glucose values in healthy people due to glucose utilization by peripheral tissues. Unfortunately, the magnitude of this glucose difference cannot be predicted due to the large number of variables that affect it.........Published studies have justified equating arterial and fingerstick capillary glucose levels under most conditions"
http://www.bestthinking.com/articles/me ... nous-blood

A

Anonymous

FergusCrawford said:
gezzathorpe said:

The method:

2. Drink 1 litre of original Lucozade within 2 minutes whilst remaining seated.
The test uses 75g of glucose – which you will get from 394ml or 421g of Original Lucozade.

I tried a OGTT @ start of year Figs below:
Time
Elapsed Time B.G.
00:00 09:17 5.3
00:14 09:31 6.7
00:29 09:46 9.7
00:45 10:02 10.2
01:03 10:20 10.1
01:18 10:35 7.8
01:36 10:53 6.6
01:55 11:12 5
02:11 11:28 4.4

Thanks for that!

A

Anonymous

phoenix said:
I shouldn't bother if I were you. If you 'pass 'it, will you consider yourself a non diabetic ?I
Your method works well for you, don't let others negate what you have done.
The big test for you would be if you became ill and your insulin resistance and insulin needs increased. Similarly if you had to reduce your daily exercise. If you gained weight again you might also find that higher levels returned.

If you do decide to do the test, check the protocol here:
Measure - using a measuring jug and syringe to ensure accuracy:
410 mls of flat new formulation of Lucozade Energy Original (70 kcal per
100ml
)
at the moment you're proposing to use over double the normal amount of glucozade needed!
http://www.erypct.nhs.uk/upload/HERHIS/ ... _apr09.pdf
(note that fingertip tests are testing capillary blood This reflects arterial , not venous blood as use in a lab test. There is a difference, particularly in the post prandial (normally the arterial is higher) Themagnitude of this difference may vary between individuals and even the same individual on different occasions. Moreover you will be testing with a home meter)
"]Simultaneous measurements of arterial and venous blood samples should produce different glucose values in healthy people due to glucose utilization by peripheral tissues. Unfortunately, the magnitude of this glucose difference cannot be predicted due to the large number of variables that affect it.........Published studies have justified equating arterial and fingerstick capillary glucose levels under most conditions"
http://www.bestthinking.com/articles/me ... nous-blood

Thanks for the info on quantities etc. Since this was the test done to diagnose me, it should be as valid this time around.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hmmm..Can't post links on this site anymore I see

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
gezzathorpe said:
I have had a number of people questioning whether I am really diabetic in the light of my latest blood tests and other comments I have made. My regime, readings and weight loss have been treated with a degree of cynicism by some.

Personally I wouldn't give a jot what anyone says or thinks, for some it's hard to contemplate that other diabetics can eat carbohydrates as part of a healthy diet as where they can't, still if you want to continue with the test then go ahead but you'll find even then you'll not be believed unless the results prove they are right.........so you'll never win!!! :lol: ......better just to ignore any negative comments and continue as you are IMHO :D

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Gezzathorpe, you only need 400ml original Lucozade for the test. There's no need to drink a whole 1L!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
Gezzathorpe, you only need 400ml original Lucozade for the test. There's no need to drink a whole 1L!

Thank goodness for that. I think it 's..t' along with any soft drinks out of bottles or cans. :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'll be very interested to see your results, as you seem to be setting standards and making claims that no-one else can match.

IF
you get results that indicate you are not diabetic, be thankful - but maintain your diet, exercise regime etc, and hopefully stay healthy;

OR
If your results indicate you are diabetic, be thankful that you are without symptoms and can achieve excellent control without medication and with a moderate carb diet.

Either way, I wish you well.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
janeecee said:

Thank goodness for that. I think it 's..t' along with any soft drinks out of bottles or cans. :)

Yep,I missed that one...Don't glug a whole litre

A

Anonymous

IanD said:
I'll be very interested to see your results, as you seem to be setting standards and making claims that no-one else can match.

IF
you get results that indicate you are not diabetic, be thankful - but maintain your diet, exercise regime etc, and hopefully stay healthy;

OR
If your results indicate you are diabetic, be thankful that you are without symptoms and can achieve excellent control without medication and with a moderate carb diet.

Either way, I wish you well.

Thanks. I should emphasise that this is not an attempt at self-diagnosis. It is a repeat of the test that my DN used to diagnose me. I will pass on the results to my DN for her to consider.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You also need to rest or sit quietly for the 2 hours. Some folk have had tests at the GP's and told to come back after 2 hours, so they go off and look round the shops etc, burning up the glucose! That's one reason why the OGTT is out of favour with the NHS because the method isn't always consistent, but it is more informative than the FBG.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit confused over the "roasting" of Gezzathorpe because of his recent results and people saying he might not have been diabetic to begin with, or that he was "only" prediabetic or even misdiagnosed.

Where does this confusion come from? Is it the results of the HbA1c test? Because I've seen well controlled diabetics post even lower HbA1c results.

Or is it the results of the cholesterol test? Or a low-ish HbA1c AND a low cholestrol? Do those numbers rule out diabetes? Sorry, but I don't see the justification for those reactions. Or maybe I just don't understand or have sufficient knowledge or experience.

Or is it that you can't consume x grams of carbs and be diabetic? Because I'm getting more and more confused by low carbing by the day. Some sources say it actually increases insulin resistance. Perhaps low carbing doesn't suit everyone—that's a possibility. There's an almost religious-like zealotry on the internet re low carbing as if it's the one and only true diet for all mankind—that's just an observation, not an attack on anyone who finds it helpful.

I'm just stunned by accusations of someone not being a bona fide diabetic just because it's well controlled and the test results are good—either he's making it up, misdiagnosed or was "only" prediabetic and not the genuine article.

I guess it's "Trial by Lucozade" now.

Status
Not open for further replies.