Am I the only one who got type 1 diabetic at the age of 19?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a first cousin who was 27 when diagnosed with Type 1. My understanding is that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and not connected with depression, lifestyle, or even genetic factors.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a first cousin who was 27 when diagnosed with Type 1. My understanding is that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and not connected with depression, lifestyle, or even genetic factors.
It is an autoimmune disease, but I believe all conditions r connected to stress/depression, lifestyle(thats more deep than what u eat and what exercise u do), and genetics also. Everything has something deeper behind, but most cases wer just told that it couldnt be changed.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My mother was diagnosed in her early twenties (22?) and got very very sick before diagnosis (lots of embarrassed medical family members over that). She had no diabetic family members at the time. As a consequence I was diagnosed very early (just two nights of waking up to ask for a drink of water!) at 8. None of my siblings or children have diabetes, though I used to test my childrens' urine whenever they complained of excessive thirst. (I was told that the children of a T1 have a 1 in 30 chance of developing it, but this was a while ago.)

Having said that, my father and both parents-in-law developed type 2, so my children will have to watch their lifestyle/diet to avoid that in their future.

My understanding was that T1 has a small genetic element and there's pretty well nothing you can do to avoid it, while T2 has a large genetic/lifestyle element.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I have seen lot of type one diabetic people on internet but all of them got diagnosed at very young.
Am I the only one who got type 1 at age of 19.
Because I didn't see anyone else getting type 1 at late teenage years.
Hi@Jibran_Khan my grandson was 18 when he was diagnosed he's now 30, my sister was 10 their are many young diabetics out their but others like Karen not so lucky to get it later on. K

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 27 when I was diagnosed and it came fairly quickly after having my first flu. It was an epic flu and I was so so ill and was told potentially that was the trigger. I am the first and only diabetic in my family

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible that if I have type 1 my siblings would also have type1.
Is that happend to any of you?your sibling got type 1 too?

My sibling was diagnosed at 15. Me 33 years later at 54.

CUKIEREKalbo2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have seen lot of type one diabetic people on internet but all of them got diagnosed at very young.
Am I the only one who got type 1 at age of 19.
Because I didn't see anyone else getting type 1 at late teenage years.
Hi my girlfriend get diabetes at 17