Type 2 Am I too low

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed about 3 months ago.as type 2. I've been trying to stick to the LCHF and I've done quite well. These last few weeks I've slipped a bit but will let get back to it.. I have eaten a low carb meal at lunch today and had a sweetened muller bliss Greek yoghurt my BG an hour after were 4.6 which has never been that before so I wandered if this is a good reading after eating also I checked after my tea tonight which was 2 hours and it was 5.1 I'm amazed as I have never had readings this low is this good or should it be higher after eating a meal.. sorry I'm still learning lol x

Reactions: Energize

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great.. I wouldn't worry.. although I'd dump that mueller **** and have some nice full fat greek yoghurt instead (but that's just me)..

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done MaxJoe

It sounds like LCHF is working well for you ;) Regarding the Muller yoghurts, the Muller Lite ones are reasonably low carb, at 7.4/100gms, so the pot will be 12.2 carbs for the whole pot. The Muller Bliss are approx 20gm/100gms so, although the pot is much smaller at 110gms, it's still 22gms carbs.

If I eat a whole Muller Lite, I spike really high. What I do now is to have just 2 dessert spoonfuls of yoghurt and 3 dessert spoonfuls of double cream and that will only raise my glucose level slightly. I've got used to the smaller quantity and really enjoy it. I have to say I don't like Greek yoghurt, possibly as I have a very sweet tooth ;) However, it's up to personal taste. Greek yoghurts can be very low carb so maybe with some 'berry' fruit they might be quite nice, if you like the 'tart' flavour ;)

If you are not on medication, apart from Metformin, you don't risk hypo's, on the whole, although apparently some people can feel hypo without meds. So, you're body will tell you if / when you might need to up your glucose levels. I would think the levels you stated are really good. Many would give lots to have levels like that, including myself ;)

Keep doing what you're doing, I would think :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are really good readings. Non diabetics will normally be back to their starting point 2 hours after a meal and that would seem to be where you are now. As long as you feel OK then this is great. I peak at around an hour after a meal and sometimes, not always am back down to where I started in 2 hours, sometimes lower. This is what I'm aiming for so well done.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great readings, you dont have to worry unless you go under 3.7.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're doing very good. When you lower carbs, you will get lower blood glucose, as your body doesn't have to deal with as much glucose. If you're not on medication, your liver will release glucose when needed. How low are you going with your low-carb diet?
I have been usually around 5.8 before a meal and about 7.8 after eating so never been that low after a meal

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have come a long way in a very short time. Those are beautiful numbers, good job :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Terrific...congrats:)

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat and protein in food will delay the carbohydrate release, and help keep your blood glucose from spiking.

I would not worry unless you are on medication that lowers your blood glucose, as your liver will dump glucose to maintain your levels. If you can, add cardio like intermittent quick walking, as it will help you with reducing insulin resistance, that in turn will help your body better control blood glucose levels.

You say you are trying LCHF, but do you know how many grams of carbohydrate are you eating per day?
No I don't count my carbs I just do the low carb

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I don't count my carbs I just do the low carb

LOL that's like telling the nice police officer that pulled you over for speeding that you weren't even though your speedo isn't working! But what ever you are doing is working for you! So keep on driving! :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Just to add some information on your low carb meal readings:

"The amount of insulin secreted in the first phase response to a meal is determined by the amount of glucose encountered in the previous meal – the more you needed last time, the more is released in this first phase. "

Not to nit pick but that is not strictly true!
How people respond to first insulin response depends on insulin resistance and how much insulin is already in the blood.
Diabetics and some non diabetics respond differently at different rates depending on their hyperinsulinaemia and the amount of slow acting digestive food.
But your overall point is quite relevant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you know if you're doing LCHF if you're not counting carbs?
In the beginning it's best to test and see what your body can deal with, so you can set limits.

As you keep blood glucose in range, it has been proven in research that your body can recover(depending how high and how long your blood sugar has been), also low-carb will help with weight loss that with exercise can reduce insulin resistance.
Maybe like me the OP just doesn't eat the pesky things..I don't carb count or calorie count either but I know from what I am eating that I am on a very low carb diet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was just quoting from my medical book, that seemed to reflect on what I was seeing myself( it was a very confusing and worrying time 12 months ago).

Yes, I fully agree that everyone is different and I can only speak from my experience, and what I've learnt over the past year.

My fasting blood sugar from the lab results was only 6.5(pre-diabetic) and not yet at diabetic levels at the time, but my hba1c was taken too soon after the infection and ended up being higher due to a bad UTI(that I've been having since birth), and maybe the reason I could reverse so quickly my condition. But it did take big changes like cardio every day, and being very strict on myself even over Christmas with cutting carbs and ended up losing 40kg(88pounds) in a very short time. The biggest thing that help me was my Apple Watch, I could see how much exercise I was getting, and set targets for each day, so to stop me from being lazy.

This summer I went on a 3 week full-board holiday, and was very nervous as I expected to return to pre-diabetic levels after pigging myself on all that food and even cake, and my fasting to jump up to 6s again, when I got back home, but I was shocked at 5.0 after a long drive home, and next morning 4.5, and 2 hours after breakfast 4.8. But even so, I continue to monitor and be very careful with carbs between 130-160 per day, so I don't stress my body and put weight back on.

I hope my experience will be of help and encouragement to others.

I certainly hope you are, if you are following a medical career or is it because you are believing some of the advice in medical dictionaries?
In my long experience, most GPs, dsns, even some endocrinologists, so called experts, have no idea what certain foods do the endocrine system does.
They know about sugar, but not what carbs do to most diabetics.
There has been so many on this forum that have been treated so badly by the medical advice that has been delivered to them by those they trust.
This forum is so knowledgeable and we have all types. The knowledge and success, we have had is excellent.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe like me the OP just doesn't eat the pesky things..I don't carb count or calorie count either but I know from what I am eating that I am on a very low carb diet.

Nor me, and I think calorie counting is ridiculous!
I know when I'm drifting out of ketosis and I know when I'm eating or fasting, what that food will do to my body!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too strongly agree the advice here is better than most GPs give, and the results speak for themselves.

I've seen the conflict first hand, and is very concerning to me. My advice is not based on what the NHS says, but from my own experience over the past year, and what worked. I've had nurses and doctors in the field laugh at me, but my own GP and his wife thankfully also believes in alternative medicine, and was the one who informed me it's possible to reverse diabetes and seen many people do so, and knows about the research form newcastle university. That's what started me on my quest for knowledge, as I did not want to go down the road of being just another statistic.

I'm not sure what we're doing is "alternative medicine" we're just eating proper food and avoiding stuff that doesn't suit us.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not sure what we're doing is "alternative medicine" we're just eating proper food and avoiding stuff that doesn't suit us.

Again totally agree with you!
I only eat fresh meat and fresh uncooked vegetables, My treat is full fat yoghurt and a couple of pieces of 90% dark chocolate for my evening meal! That's it bar small pieces of fruit!