Am I understanding this correctly?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an article in today's Dail Mail about numbness in the fingers, which I have.
Some pretty good advice in the article I reckon, but the doc says that regarding the HbA1c: "A 'healthy' reading is between 4 to 5.6; above 6.5 confirms diabetes. Your results should always be 7 or less."
Web MD has the same figures but they are higher than I've been lead to believe, unless I'm interpretung them wrong.

Here is the article if you want a look

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
There is an article in today's Dail Mail about numbness in the fingers, which I have.
Some pretty good advice in the article I reckon, but the doc says that regarding the HbA1c: "A 'healthy' reading is between 4 to 5.6; above 6.5 confirms diabetes. Your results should always be 7 or less."
Web MD has the same figures but they are higher than I've been lead to believe, unless I'm interpretung them wrong.

Looks to me like the Daily Fail has conveniently omitted the units!

In the UK, 6.5% (glucose level) is used as the threshold for confirmation of diabetes)

A non-diabetic will be below 5.6% and the area in between will be reserved for pre-diabetics.

Does that answer your question?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too raised this question a while back, as I'd read somewhere that the lower "normal" level was 3.5 to 5 mmol. I can't remember where I saw that but memory usually serves well!

Perhaps it's a matter of what the latest guidelines are. Cynically, I'd expect in England we might see an upward trend in the level where diabetes is officially diagnosed - or the withdrawal of free prescriptions for Type 2 (because it's all our own fault of course).

Reactions: AloeSvea and jjraak

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

hba1c of 4-5.6% is approximately an average blood glucose level of between 3.8-6.3 mmol/L.

If the hba1c is above 6.5% (~average blood glucose level of 7.8 mmol/L) then they diagnose you with diabetes. In between these levels they classify as pre-diabetic.

In general you should try and stay between 4-7 mmol/L.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks to me like the Daily Fail has conveniently omitted the units!

In the UK, 6.5% (glucose level) is used as the threshold for confirmation of diabetes)

A non-diabetic will be below 5.6% and the area in between will be reserved for pre-diabetics.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, thanks
I'm confusing % with mmol/L.
Simple if you have an ounce of wit. Unfortunately I'm stuck on 25 grams.

Reactions: urbanracer

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Btw there are other explanations for numb fingers e.g. circulation problems caused by Reynaud's syndrome

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ps just read the article in the Mail in canteen. Although mistakenly categorising type 2 diet controlled as 'mild' diabetes he does go on to recommend a low carb diet and lower blood sugars. Makes the good point that by the time you are diagnosed you've had metabolic issues for a while hence some damage may have been caused

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor just told me that I was 'a very bad diabetic' - just to let me know that it was all my fault.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad because you refuse to get sicker and sicker like they expect?
This was at the appointment when he broke the news that I was diabetic, ten days after he'd phoned to tell me it was just a routine follow up interview. I think he realized that I was not exactly thrilled by his attitude, as he put NFA on my notes after the first retest when I got down to Hba1c of 47.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was at the appointment when he broke the news that I was diabetic, ten days after he'd phoned to tell me it was just a routine follow up interview. I think he realized that I was not exactly thrilled by his attitude, as he put NFA on my notes after the first retest when I got down to Hba1c of 47.
Sorry I thought you meant he’d just said it recently.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GRRRR! On your behalf.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does NFA stand for?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Btw there are other explanations for numb fingers e.g. circulation problems caused by Reynaud's syndrome

Yes, I've got P.A.D. too but the 'treatment' (not cure) for PAD is basically the same as T2. Sugar management, exercise, no smoking (and vast quantities of red wine taken with a large bowl of salted peanuts and a lamb chop).

Reactions: urbanracer

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did thing of various things NFA might stand for - but I am sure that I'd just get a lecture on statins if I did see him.
Oh - by the way - at my 'education' sessions we were told that diabetes doesn't affect the hands, just the feet and eyes. It is so good to know we have such competent and caring HCPs around here. They would most likely find me so difficult to cope with if I needed treatment for anything.....

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not Following Advice? My DN is coldly unimpressed with my fasting shenanigans so I wouldn't be surprised to find that on my notes either.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did thing of various things NFA might stand for - but I am sure that I'd just get a lecture on statins if I did see him.
Oh - by the way - at my 'education' sessions we were told that diabetes doesn't affect the hands, just the feet and eyes. It is so good to know we have such competent and caring HCPs around here. They would most likely find me so difficult to cope with if I needed treatment for anything.....
Probably never come across the term systemic in all their long careers in regard to diabetes.