Am I unusual to be confused.....

K

Kat100

We really do have to look after ourselves
Make our own minds up and do what is best for our health needs, based on our own decisions .....

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The days of caring family physicians are gone for good. They're all overworked with surgeries that are more like conveyor belts. Way different to what life was like in our parent's day. I still remember our neighbourhood doctor who would make housecalls when I was a child - how long ago it seems now.

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The days of caring family physicians are gone for good. They're all overworked with surgeries that are more like conveyor belts. Way different to what life was like in our parent's day. I still remember our neighbourhood doctor who would make housecalls when I was a child - how long ago it seems now.
House calls! I couldn't even get an appointment despite being told to go there by the paramedic! image.jpg

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...its great to see all the help and advice on here, thanks for the replies.....I wish more people would join this forum...I've told a couple of people [diabetics] about it but they aren't interested, say it would be ruling their lives if they did and they don't have the time....they're sooo wrong, I still work full time but make time to come in here as I don't want my time to run out earlier than necessary! :rolleyes:

Gerry X

Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...its great to see all the help and advice on here, thanks for the replies.....I wish more people would join this forum...I've told a couple of people [diabetics] about it but they aren't interested, say it would be ruling their lives if they did and they don't have the time....they're sooo wrong, I still work full time but make time to come in here as I don't want my time to run out earlier than necessary! :rolleyes:

Gerry X
Yes they are so wrong! Diabetes will be more likely to rule their lives, in the long term, if they don't look at all the advice that's available

Reactions: 6 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Confusion is the correct response. It's the first step on the road to understanding.

But what surprises me is the apparent acceptance of the DUK "carbohydrates and pills" system, along with the assurance that "diabetes is progressive."

I've spoken up for LCHF at the Hounslow support group, and gave a talk on my experience with low carb to 50 people. No-one has contacted me for further advice, nor joined this forum - and those are people who are concerned enough to get out in an evening to learn more about their condition.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I can't imagine NOT being here. How weird would that be to not check in each day? This forum saved my sanity! :D

Sent from DCUK App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A colleague of mine has just been diagnosed as T2. I told her about LCHF and pointed her in the direction if this forum. She weighs considerably less than me. Has she read diet doctor, visited this forum, done anything about her weight? Er, no. She attended their "education program" (this terminology always sends a shiver down my spine - makes me think of totalitarian states, 1984, etc) but found it boring. It's just so difficult to change your diet isn't it? The other day someone was making her a cup of tea but couldn't find the sweetener. Oh I'll just have sugar in it then.. I offered her my sweetener but she declined! How long before she needs to inject, I wonder :(

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how long it will take before HCPs are educated about Professor Taylor's work and the work of others and stop peddling the line that it's always a progressive disease. Even if they stopped telling people that, it might go a long way to motivating change.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Although I can understand some people's caution over following advice given on 'forums', it seems to me that on this forum any 'extreme' views get successfully moderated. What is enormously beneficial however is that a forum offers the opportunity for people to share their experiences and learn from others. Diabetes doesn't have a 'one size fits all' means of management - what works for one, may not work for another. The sooner that health professionals acknowledge and embrace the power of patient peer support the better.
For anyone who is struggling with the basics of how to manage T2D, take a look at the diabetes 'kit bag' of advice on the Team blood glucose website (follow the link from the front page) - www.teambloodglucose.com

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wonder how long it will take before HCPs are educated about Professor Taylor's work and the work of others and stop peddling the line that it's always a progressive disease. Even if they stopped telling people that, it might go a long way to motivating change.

:)Hear hear!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are passive people, less passive people and those who like to take action. I don't really know what the proportions are in any population, but there are many, many many passive people out there. They don't challenge advice they are given by trained medical people, whom we should be able to trust, so looking for an alternative isn't going to be a priority for them.

In our busy lives, we sometimes looks for the path of least resistance, and on diagnosis, being told that they don't need to test, the tablets will reduce BG scores and to continue on a largely unchanged diet must be a comfort, to some people, some of the time.

We are the radical ones. The ones who challenge and seek empirical proof of the changes our professionals expect us to make.

I had a long discussion with my GP, post-diagnosis, by whose own admission would be a danger giving advice on diabetes, and he told me I can be a real challenging patient, and seeing my name on his list always made him sharpen his wits - liking the challenge, but knowing he wasn't in for an easy ride. I quite liked that. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There are passive people, less passive people and those who like to take action. I don't really know what the proportions are in any population, but there are many, many many passive people out there. They don't challenge advice they are given by trained medical people, whom we should be able to trust, so looking for an alternative isn't going to be a priority for them.

In our busy lives, we sometimes looks for the path of least resistance, and on diagnosis, being told that they don't need to test, the tablets will reduce BG scores and to continue on a largely unchanged diet must be a comfort, to some people, some of the time.

We are the radical ones. The ones who challenge and seek empirical proof of the changes our professionals expect us to make.

I had a long discussion with my GP, post-diagnosis, by whose own admission would be a danger giving advice on diabetes, and he told me I can be a real challenging patient, and seeing my name on his list always made him sharpen his wits - liking the challenge, but knowing he wasn't in for an easy ride. I quite liked that. :)
This was the point I was making about my colleague! I guess I must be a troublemaker of the worst type as I am happy to change my viewpoint but only if you have a damned good argument which is supported by factual evidence. I cannot understand my colleagues response. But then again, take the tablets and eat as you always have as diabetes is progressive! Since I had no help, I found out for myself. If someone challenges me then I listen to what they say. Sometimes I will change if there view is convincing and acknowledge that they are right. But then that takes a person to be secure in themselves. What I cannot understand is why a medical professional will not afford us the same courtesy.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's face it; a 10 minute appointment is never going to be enough when delivering a diagnosis of a life-long, potentially degenerative condition. How can it be?

Whilst I sympathise with their plight, I wish our HCPs could acknowledge there are many ways to skin this particular cat, and give us some options, or at least balanced reading material. I was told it was fine to research on the internet, provided it was on patient.co.uk. Clearly that particular doctor didn't realise what he was up against.

At my review in February, the nurse wasn't interested in discussing diet or other strategies, once she had established my HbA1c. From then on it, it was a tick box exercise to fulfil her requirements, and release me for another few months. I was quite happy with that, bearing in mind it eliminated any in depth discussion of my past or future approach, but I am unsure how I would have felt had I been struggling.

My GP (whom I didn't see regarding my diagnosis) is a great no-nonsense bloke, and we have some great debates. Over time I will tackle him on the practise approach to carb management (based on the Southport GP paper) as as Senior Partner, I believe he owes it to me, and the other diabetics in his care, to give the debate some head space. That will have to wait a few months until I have a longer spell in UK, so that I can freely follow up, without international phone calls.

Reactions: 2 people