Am I worrying over nothing.....

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all.

Diagnosed type 2 in Feb and have been following Lchf diet ever since also take 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day. On Friday I went for the first blood test since diagnosis and am seeing dn on the 22nd. However I cannot wait that long so being proactive I have been to the surgery and collected my results ( forewarned etc).

When I got home I noticed my hba1c results were missing. Have just phoned the surgery and been told them results are with the GP and I cannot have them yet. ( sorry rambling on).

So my concerns are
1. My levels have gone into the normal range, which is my aim and the GP will say I was never diabetic in the first place or
2. My levels have increased.

I am now so worried as I feel whichever the outcome I cannot win,.

Not sure if any of my ramblings make sense, just need to sound off to people who I hope understand or even had the same worry.

Whatever the outcome, thank you to all.

Jo xx

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @hca my friend I was exactly the same in January when my first Hb1Ac results were due,it took me two whole days of worrying before I decided to ring the surgery,they said I couldn;t have them just the same as they have said to you,I went down the surgery as they were my property and asked for them in person at reception,explained how important they were to me,and I asked for them to be printed out,which they did,I was at all times polite and respectful in asking and informed them that I wasn't leaving until I had my results,please don't worry you will be fine,just explain to them how important it is that you get your results sooner than later;)

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hca

1) If your results are in the normal range then that's great whether the GP says you were diabetic or not
2) I know it's a worry for your sugars to increase, but I would imagine if you are on the LCHF diet and you've been taking Metoformin that your sugars will have decreased since diagnosis. Obviously I can't guarantee that but I'd be very surprised if they aren't lower!

Good luck :)

Melissa

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @hca ..
Your surgery should have made arrangements for you to access your med records on-line. I would suggest that you have a word with them to find out whether they have done so yet .. or when this will be done

Reactions: dbr10

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you both. Have tried your approach wise owl, like to think I am always nice, have been given the results of all my other bloods just not my hba1c, which is why the concern. Unfortunately the receptionists at the surgery are like little Rottweilers ( apologies to all Rottweilers) and will not release them. Just don't understand why I can have the results of all the other tests just not my hba1c. X

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Sometimes at my GP surgery, even though results have been received the receptionist will not divulge them until a doctor has commented on them. Maybe that is what has happened in your case? I'd try again in a couple of days. Try not to worry.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember phoning for some results and being told they were with the GP, so she couldn't tell me anything till she was told what to say. Maybe your other results arrived before your HbA1c and you just have to wait till your GP gives the OK.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been testing yourself?
If so you may might have a clue about your HbA1c levels?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all.

Diagnosed type 2 in Feb and have been following Lchf diet ever since also take 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day. On Friday I went for the first blood test since diagnosis and am seeing dn on the 22nd. However I cannot wait that long so being proactive I have been to the surgery and collected my results ( forewarned etc).

When I got home I noticed my hba1c results were missing. Have just phoned the surgery and been told them results are with the GP and I cannot have them yet. ( sorry rambling on).

So my concerns are
1. My levels have gone into the normal range, which is my aim and the GP will say I was never diabetic in the first place or

Not sure if any of my ramblings make sense, just need to sound off to people who I hope understand or even had the same worry.

Jo xx
In Sandwell they are (were? because I didnt get them last time)posted out all patients.

paintylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also had blood tests on Friday and according to the receptionist they do have to be seen by the Gp before they can tell me, I'm going to call again tomorrow. Like you, I have my first dn appointment (only 9 weeks since diagnosis) next week, I want to know what the results are so I've had a chance to think about what questions I have. Try not to worry too much x

Reactions: SusanJackson

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both. Have tried your approach wise owl, like to think I am always nice, have been given the results of all my other bloods just not my hba1c, which is why the concern. Unfortunately the receptionists at the surgery are like little Rottweilers ( apologies to all Rottweilers) and will not release them. Just don't understand why I can have the results of all the other tests just not my hba1c. X
It seems completely stupid. I would make a GP appointment, walk in, and apologise for wasting their time, but explain that you had to make an appointment because no one would give you your results.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well even when getting normal levels of HbA1c one is still diabetic as one can not eat unlimited amounts of carbs anylonger... I don´t think your diagnosis is a mistake no matter what the doctor says being surprised that your levels are already normal again.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having had to wait in the past for scan results and blood tests, I really don't think those managing the results have any idea how stressful waiting or not knowing is. I love the 'your result is normal' comment from the receptionist that I now get. I guess many people just want that whilst those on this forum are taking control of our health. They always print them for me when I ask.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for trying to reassure me, guess my irrational brain is taking over and looking for something that may or may not be there. On a positive all my other bloods were 'normal' and cholesterol was 3.7 with a trig level of 0.90mmol/l. Hopefully an afternoon in work will keep me busy enough and stop my stress levels going into overdrive. X

Reactions: paula121s

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my results online, but sometimes my DSN withholds them, so I cancel the meeting with her stating I cannot attend until I get my bs results online ... sometimes they are online the next day after this.. and I the get a appointment for the next day LOL

No point in worrying about the unknown .. its just makes you unhappy .. best to wait to know if you have something to worry about first.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure if there was anything to be concerned over then your surgery would have been in touch to arrange an appointment for you.

Robbity

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worrying about the result isn't going to change the numbers, although it may impact on your current levels! Just wait until the appointment, but in it say you were worry over the withheld result and would prefer in future to get all the results at the same time prior to the next appointment to give yourself time to reflect on those results and have time to compile a list of questions about them, so you and the Doc/dsn can make the most of the next appointment.

paula121s

Thank you all for trying to reassure me, guess my irrational brain is taking over and looking for something that may or may not be there. On a positive all my other bloods were 'normal' and cholesterol was 3.7 with a trig level of 0.90mmol/l. Hopefully an afternoon in work will keep me busy enough and stop my stress levels going into overdrive. X

Have you tried asking your gp to give you a ring? Tell them you are very worried about the results. Like others have said if you have been following the lchf then they will have improved! Just try and chill, stress will not help.

Reactions: Nanonet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

So my concerns are

Jo xx

It could be that he is so amazed that your LCHF diet has brought your levels down so well he has collapsed under his desk and can't speak as you have defied the NHS lore that diabetes is progressive and we'll all end up on insulin...then again...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'd give them a ring tomorrow and ask for a GP telephone consultation - then explain to the GP how anxious the delay has made you.

Incidentally, all this talk of GPs putting test results on-line for us to look at - my GP's website crashed about two months ago and has never been fixed so we can't even make appointments or request repeat prescriptions any more without actually going in to the surgery and talking to the Rottweilers - a real waste of their time and mine.