Amazing & Awesome Avocados.

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

On the local (Wide Bay) channel 7 news last night, the local avocado producers have received a $1.5 million grant from the Qld. government to improve the growing time of seedlings.
I came across the article on the ABC Wide Bay website re the Avocado cuttings growing quicker.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-08-23/technique-improves-avocado-tree-availability/8833476

I see this para on that website, I did not know they were getting Avo's from New Zealand.

Australians eating more avocados than ever

Australians are among the highest consumers of avocados in the world, eating about 86,000 tonnes of avocado in the past 12 months, or 3.5 kilograms per person.

Australia only produced 66,000 tonnes in that period, with the remainder imported from New Zealand.

Costco always has great fresh food

Our nearest Costo is nearly 400klms away, I wish we had one closer.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
D

Deleted member 308541

ITS YOU! NOT ME!!! Get growing!!
I laughed at the bit about 3.5 Kgs per person per year, gone through that much n the last six weeks.

Costco does have a good range of stuff, the price of meat from what I have seen, is a bit iffy as I can get cheaper here in Bundy.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I laughed at the bit about 3.5 Kgs per person per year, gone through that much n the last six weeks.

Costco does have a good range of stuff, the price of meat from what I have seen, is a bit iffy as I can get cheaper here in Bundy.
Haha. Can't imagine how many kg I've eaten!!

Costco's meat is SOMETIMES higher but most fat is trimmed so we're not paying for that. Their tenderloins and lamb loin chops are to die for. Pork chops and tenderloins are far too lean. FRESH fish is great but cod and salmon froz n stink. Friut and veggies both fresh and frozen are great. Doesn't matter for you. Your too far. I have two within 20 minutes.

We hav to watch prices everywhere. Fresh wholesome food isn't cheap. Haha

D

Deleted member 308541

Your too far. I have two within 20 minutes.

We hav to watch prices everywhere. Fresh wholesome food isn't cheap. Haha
We would have to go to Brisbane for Costco, although they are going to build another at Ipswich I believe. That's just as far away as well.

It costs $60.00 here to become a Costco member, but I reckon we could get that back over a couple of months shopping.

The Bundaberg region has good volcanic soil, and is a good growing region for fruit and vegies, then there's the sugar cane farms which some have been turned into Macadamia and Avocado plantations.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We would have to go to Brisbane for Costco, although they are going to build another at Ipswich I believe. That's just as far away as well.

It costs $60.00 here to become a Costco member, but I reckon we could get that back over a couple of months shopping.

The Bundaberg region has good volcanic soil, and is a good growing region for fruit and vegies, then there's the sugar cane farms which some have been turned into Macadamia and Avocado plantations.
They are growing my two favs!!

We have the executive membership for $110. However we get 2% cash back and use that toward our next years premium. We usually on.y pay $20-25 as we spend a lot. Great for car/ truck tires, big screen tvs, furniture, appliances etc. They also have great travel deals. Car rentals are about half price,,

We have their credit card that is 4% cash back on gas anywhere, 3 or 4% travel, 3% restaurants and 2% more Costco. They source their foods very well for the most part, ( they do have some not so healthy members haha) , they return anything and everything no questions. Food as well. Loads of organic foods for super low prices.

Too bad you're not closer. We used to used sams club but the quality and service isn't even close.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to nearest Waitrose to restock today. Most of the avocados were Peruvian. I got some of the 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' for the next couple of days. They did have ripen at home avocados from Mexico, so I got a couple of those for the weekend.
mexican avocado.png

That's me sorted until next week. :)

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to nearest Waitrose to restock today. Most of the avocados were Peruvian. I got some of the 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' for the next couple of days. They did have ripen at home avocados from Mexico, so I got a couple of those for the weekend.
View attachment 23765
That's me sorted until next week. :)
Let me know if you see a difference. We are getting more and more Peruvian.
I'm still getting beautiful ones from Aldi and very inexpensive. Still not a bad one that needed tossing in the 40 oz so I've gotten. One needed a little picking around but saved 3/4

A new season is coming quick. I wonder what that will mean. If I remember correctly summer and spring are the worst and winter and fall the best.

Love your little dude!

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Shopping day today, so will be stocking up with the Avo goodness in a bag again hopefully.
LBjz5xY.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to $1.49. Lol. Still very affordable and great quality.

Hope you get some good ones !!!

B

badcat

I was putting together a Tesco shop for a relative today and out of curiosity thought Id have a look at the avocado "eggs" to see how they were pricing tham - seems they no longer sell them which probably says a lot
I did come across what strikes me as more avocado abuse tho' - cant imagine what theyd taste like or how youd use them
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=289890009#r:sr:sr:37:1:3:79808520::c,search

Edit
Thought i might just buy a bag to answer my own question, but then I found this
https://food52.com/blog/18829-i-tried-freezing-avocados-a-horror-story

Last edited by a moderator:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did come across what strikes me as more avocado abuse tho' - cant imagine what theyd taste like or how youd use them
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=289890009#r:sr:sr:37:1:3:79808520::c,search

Edit
Thought i might just buy a bag to answer my own question, but then I found this
https://food52.com/blog/18829-i-tried-freezing-avocados-a-horror-story
I tried those Tesco Frozen Avocados last year when they were first sold. They are mushy when thawed and don't really have much taste. I don't know what anyone would use them for except maybe making guacamole with lots of chilli, lime and onion to give it some taste.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried those Tesco Frozen Avocados last year when they were first sold. They are mushy when thawed and don't really have much taste. I don't know what anyone would use them for except maybe making guacamole with lots of chilli, lime and onion to give it some taste.
I'm not even sure about guacamole. The only thing I would think might be ok is in a smoothie and thrown in frozen. Defrosted were Discusting. I didn't try those but tried just slices of my own. I had high hopes until I defrosted them.

I have made guac with lime juice and frozen in airtight containers. It was ok but the texture wasn't the same.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Any feed back on Peruvian?
I had one of my Mexican avocados last night, I think they have a more delicate taste than the Peruvian. I actually prefer the Peruvian. Perhaps we get better Peruvian avocados here, at least in Waitrose, than you do in USA. Or we get worse Mexican.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Once the ones I'm getting cheap at Aldi start going bad I'll try th Peru again. No avo has gone to waste no matter how many I've had haha

I could simply be a season thing too. I can't imagine they're all bad as many as Costco piles through

D

Deleted member 308541

The bags of Avo's we bought on Thursday are just about ready to eat. Tried one last night with dunking the spoonful of avo into Greek yoghurt, good mix of flavours. :D

Reactions: dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The bags of Avo's we bought on Thursday are just about ready to eat. Tried one last night with dunking the spoonful of avo into Greek yoghurt, good mix of flavours. :D
Haha. Mayo not so bad either. Garlic oil either. I just can't find a way I don't like it. Other than sautéed. Gross

D

Deleted member 308541

Haha. Mayo not so bad either. Garlic oil either. I just can't find a way I don't like it. Other than sautéed. Gross

Someone posted that they sprinkled chilli flakes on Avo's, I am going to give that a try to see what that tastes like.