1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Amazing & Awesome Avocados.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Tipetoo, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

And the one I had tonight was even better. I ate it without any dressing, just a little salt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I knew you'd research it for me!!! Thank you. I'll just put a little wedge hanging on my glass instead of lime!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have new uses for the 'ripe and ready to eat' avocado double pack I bought in Tesco a few days ago - cricket or golf! They are rock hard and are showing no signs of ripening!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

@berylc If you have a Waitrose near you, get their 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' which usually are ready to eat. Marks & Spencers avocados are usually good too.

#124 Prem51, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. berylc

I live in Orkney, so only Tesco, Lidl and small co-open. Tried all for avocados and very mixed results. Will look in M&S when we are on holiday next month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I suspect the mixed results might be true in many areas Beryl, I've found the same - they can range from going off before showing the slightest sign of ripenings, to perfection exactly at the right time when needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Your wish is my command!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link - I've book marked it too. :)

9. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Do you know their country of origin? I'm thinking peru!!! Haha

Sometimes they take awhile to start but then ripen quickly. They're quirky little things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know much about other stores because I mostly buy Morrisons wonky avocados and have had perfect ones in a three pack and one inedible in a three pack ,also perfect ones in a five pack and another pack with ones that refused to ripen ?? I am the old aged pensioner who gets in the way squeezing all the avocados!!! I need my avocado hit every day to keep my weight going onward and upwards
    CAROL

• Like Like x 2
  11. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

It's not possible to squeeze the Waitrose 2 avocado packs now, they have packaged them in fully enclosed plastic case. But they are usually good.

12. berylc

I threw the packaging away :( sorry!

13. badcat

badcat · Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Now that's crazy!!

I'd need at least 3 a day!

I think we must be in the perfect growing season here as they've all been absolutely beautiful here ( knocking on wood). Probably a bit less hot in MX and CA and a bit more rain.

If I recall from the last few years they should continue to be good for quite a few months. Seems that really hot dry weather does them no good.

15. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I went to Waitrose this morning to replenish my avocado stocks. No Mexican avocados today. But they did have some loose 'ripen at home' South African avos, and the big avocados were from South Africa too. They had 6 packs of those little avos too, from Peru.
    I got some ready to eat Peru avocados, and one South African 'ripen at home' avocado to see if that is any different.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I'll be interested to hear!! No South African hear as far as I know.
    Did you see my thread on avocado and cholesterol??? My cholesterol was outstanding !!! I give All the credit. An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!! Who needs apples lol.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi Prem51, I did the same as you, and went "shopping" to check out varieties and countries of origin for those on sale in my 3 local supermarkets. I wanted to see which ones turn out best, and keep the longest, without going off. This is what I got so far:

Aldi: pack of 4 small (abt. 75g each incl. skin & stone) ripen at home. Hass - source: Columbia.
    one went bad before ripening, so had to be thrown out. Second one was fine; not perfection, but good.

Aldi: twin pack of medium size (abt 150g whole) ripe and ready. Hass - source: Tanzania (that's a first!)
    not ripe enough for me, so have yet to try one of these.

Aldi also had some single large avos, of South African origin, but I didn't get one of those, as already had more than enough!

Sainsbury's: twin pack, medium size (also abt 150g each), ripe and ready. Hass - source: Colombia.
    First one was fine, just about right amount of 'ripeness', went down a treat.

Asda: twin pack, smedium size (abt 150g each), ripen at home. Hass - source: Peru
    The best of the bunch so far, first one was perfect; hope the second one is just as good.

I suspect I might have overdone it on the stock / ripeness ratios and that some of them might well become over-ripe before I'm ready to eat them; but that's ok - maybe I'll have an "avocado fast" for the next couple of days :D

p.s. couldn't find any that were not Hass variety, perhaps that's all we get in the UK

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Good hunting!!! Different origins might be better or worse there vs here. Just a thought.
    I've never seen any other variety than hass

I've done avocado fasts and they're very nice. Cleansing actually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

@Salvia I've only seen the Hass variety too. Interesting that your Sainsbury's avocados were from Colombia. I've only seen Peruvian avocados in my local Sainsburys, I've tried them and they have varied, the Waitrose ones are usually better and more consistent. I'll watch out for the Colombian ones and give them a try if they get any in.
    Let us know what the Aldi Tanzanian one is like. There is an Aldi not too far away from me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Tanzanian sounds so exotic!!! Even better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook