Amitriptyline

peppiB

Hi - I am new to this forum.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 months ago but must have been living with it undiagnosed for a while. At a podiatry clinic on Friday I was told I had neuropathy - the nerves in the soles of my feet have gone as there is no feeling, but the nerves on the top of the foot and around the shins are still active and very painful. I have been prescribed amitriptyline for the condition, however the leaflet about side effects reads like a horror story and its use in neuropathy is deemed unlicensed.

Does anyone have experience in the use of this medication?

I am also asthmatic and use inhalers

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My husband takes Amitriptyline for neuropathy and it works well for him.he previously tried gabapentin which had some truly horrifying side effects but the Amitriptyline does not seem to affect him and keeps his neuropathic pain controlled.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
years ago i did take the drug for depression as its an old anti depressant, i only found i felt out of it, i was on an high dose and would suggest taking it at bedtime, also be aware that the drug can cause problems if you have thyroid problems, as i found out :? but apart from that it was ok :D

jallsop

I take a fairly low dose of Amitriptyline but a fairly large dose of Gabapentin for Neuropathy. I must say I have never noticed side effects (been on Amitriptyline for about 5 years as I was first prescribed it to relieve muscle tension which was causing migraines). Same with the Gabapentin - in fact I sometimes feel I could be swallowing smarties for all the good it does. Nothing seems to touch the pain in my feet unfortunately but I live in hope!

Jackie

C

catherinecherub

Small doses are often prescribed for muscle spasms and pain relief. It needs to be taken regularly for effect. Much higher doses are prescribed for depression but it is rarely used for that condition now except with the elderly. Most people find that it gives them a dry mouth but on a small dose you are unlikely to get side effects described in the leaflet.

Trinkwasser

Some people hallucinate (it affects dopamine receptors within the optic circuitry)

It can be useful for symptom relief, and with other types of pain too.

#1 treatment is to get and keep your BG down

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

#2 treatment is rather long term

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dpn.htm

One things that often happens is that when you are actually improving the neuropathy the pain may get worse before it gets better, as the broken nerves are rewired and start passing signals again

peppiB

Started taking these Wednesday night. Yesterday I was so tired and dizzy I couldn't go out. Took another last night and today has been awful - girl I am carer for was frantic this morning as she couldn't wake me up, I couldn't take her to her usual sports activities, I have been very dizzy all day, losing my balance frequently and unable to stand unsupported, fell sound asleep this afternoon and managed to bite through my tongue. No more - these things are being returned to chemists for disposal - I have put up with the pain for over 3 years so will continue to do so. Ah well, back to the drawing board - once I am steady enough on my feet to reach it that is.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
It's a pity you have to give them up,Peppi.Is there a time when you are not caring ,like a weeks holiday when you could take them ? Most of these drugs make you feel bad initially but then your body gets used to them and the side effects wear off.

peppiB

Would hate to be like that during my respite breaks! They are usually only 3 - 4 days at a time and would be really snookered to drive!(they are usually spent with my OH and she lives 200 miles away) Effects wearing off now and I feel as if I am getting back to normal. Won't be taking any more.

Daz

I was on these and they completely zonked me out, Ive also tried Gabapentine and a new one called Lyrica which I tried to ride out the side effects and had to go on sick from work, side effects never went for me and cost me my job.....

Now im on Tegratol (carbamazipine) which seems to help, or is it that im just getting used to the pain????

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Carbamazipine is good as well.Unfortunately all these drugs have side effects ,it's just a case of finding the one with the least for you.

peppiB

Have to see a GP shortly anyway so will ask about alternatives. Podiatry clinic were talking about a film, similar to cling film, which wraps around and effects pain relief. She said it works for some but not for others. Anyone heard of it?

Slinger

Hi all, thought i would give me side

just over 2 years ago i was diagnosed with neuropathy and was prescribe amitriptyline, at the time i was working 12 hour shifts and i was like a zombie on only 10mg dose. After 7-8 months the pain got worse and the dosaged doubled. It made me too drowsy and asked the doctor if there were anything else he could put me on.

He put me on gabapintine which didn't make me as drowsy but weren't as good getting rid of the pain. then april my diabetic nurse said to ask to be prescribe pregablin. pregablin works well and doesn't make me as drowsy.

months went by and the condition got worse and the dosage increased.

december and at the diabetic clinic told me to use amitriptyline with pregablin and so far is working well but makes me drowsy again but since being put on the sick (14 months now) it's not a problem.

here's a few things i know about some of the medication

amitriptyline works by stopping a enzyme being produce that helps with nerve impulses (correct me if i'm wrong)
a price check gabapentin is £30 for 100 tablets, pregablin is £90 for 30 tablets, i think this one of the reasons doctors dont prescribe it.