Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I put it on the plate and weigh it then after I've finished weigh the plate again with the bone. First weight minus the second is what I have eaten.. easier when you are carnivore.. no pesky veg to worry about...

Good thinking, Batman!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The whole protein and kidney thing has been debunked - there's even evidence that it makes no difference even with people with pre-existing kidney disease.

Protein is also one nutrient that is extremely difficult to overeat - there are inbuilt satiety mechanisms that tell you when you've had enough.

Personally, I find protein to be the one macronutrient I don't need to worry about - I eat as much as I want and usually make it the main focus of my meal. I want to keep having muscle as I age and protein ensures that.

I usually find I range between around 90-110g per day - so up to about 1.6g/kg of body weight.

It also doesn't seem to impact my ability to be in ketosis.

It certainly has no great impact on my bg.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Aye, I increased my protein intake when I learned that protein metabolism decreases in efficiency as we age especially after 50 but also to try and stem weight loss. Soon afterwards I increased healthy fat levels too. My weight has stabilised again but whether it is down to the fats or the protein is hard to tell. Still, it has been no hardship to have more steak.
There is an advertising slogan in Australia , 'Put more pork on your fork', , I am trying to think of one for steak, like, Steak makes one look more of a rake, It's a steak-out ! etc etc.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I go by 0.75 grams per kg of lean body mass for the average person. For persons training around1.2 as a starting point. mTor is often mentioned but the impact is not proven. I agree with Ted Naimen, so bias a bit towards protein. If the theory is correct that higher protein kills you earlier, I would rather be more active and robust up to the point of going, than be around a little longer with ailments.

Reactions: kitedoc

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an advertising slogan in Australia , 'Put more pork on your fork', , I am trying to think of one for steak, like, Steak makes one look more of a rake, It's a steak-out ! etc etc.
My favourite of the Australia Day Aussie Lamb ads:

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have a large helping of protein just as I have always done. If I measured it, I would have no idea what to deduce from the figures, so no point.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: Pasha

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Low protein can matter if you have poor kidney function. I had a dog that went into kidney failure and was put on the prescription low protein diet and fluids every day and he didn't improve. It wasn't until I took his protein level way down that his kidneys started working at an almost normal level, although his tests showed his kidneys still were not okay.

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low protein can matter if you have poor kidney function. I had a dog that went into kidney failure and was put on the prescription low protein diet and fluids every day and he didn't improve. It wasn't until I took his protein level way down that his kidneys started working at an almost normal level, although his tests showed his kidneys still were not okay.

Pertinent point at about 6 minutes in. This is the presentation I viewed earlier today. (About 50 minutes in total and extremely informative). Dr. Stuart Phillips.

KetoIFYouDare

But isn’t meat all protein. Oh dear does that means that I have to know the protein of everything I eat and I can only have 100gms a day . I thought protein was meat poultry fish any of that was protein gee I am doing it all wrong hmm
Motherhen, try downloading an app like "Cronometer". You can select which food you are eating, then weigh it and the macros of fat, carb or protein will automatically show up. Once you have mastered the app, it is quite quick and soon you will know by feeling what you need per day.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But isn’t meat all protein. Oh dear does that means that I have to know the protein of everything I eat and I can only have 100gms a day . I thought protein was meat poultry fish any of that was protein gee I am doing it all wrong hmm

Here's a suggestion: Google the amount of protein in your chicken, meat, fish, etc. 100g protein is actually a decent amount of protein. A chicken breast has around 38g protein in it.
You don't want to overdo protein for two reasons: first is that it can raise blood sugar, albeit slower than starch or sugar, but it can raise your blood sugar for much longer.
Secondly, if you want to keep your kidneys healthy, don't overdose on protein.

KetoIFYouDare

Motherhen,
Just as a rough guide:
Chicken breast without the skin: 100g weight of chicken = 30g protein
Beef steak: 100g weight of beef = 28g protein
Lamb: 100g weight of lamb = 28g protein
Pork:100g weight of pork = 27g protein
Fish: 100g weight of fish = Salmon = 20g protein, Cod = 20g protein

The grams of protein cab vary depending on each cut of meat or fish, but it is close enough for your requirements.
For all meats I would calculate 1/3 of the whole weight as protein
For all fish, I would calculate 1/5 of the whole weight as protein.
I hope that will simplify matters for you Motherhen.??
My average for this year is 140g of protein per day.... no probs with blood sugars or ketosis.

Reactions: gemma_T1