Type 2 Amount Of Protein To Eat Daily

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I have been reading up on protein and what the guide lines are for the amount we should eat on low carb. It says 100 gems or 3. 1/2 ounces, that seems very little.
I love my food and need to keep kidneys healthy. So should I use these guidelines as I thought having no carbs one could eat what you want.

I am on pure lemon juice in water as soon as I get up and I can say it has curbed my desire for sweet food.

Is it possible to buy a plate that has sections for protein veg and starch I think there used to be one think I need this plate friends.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s around 100g of actual protein, not the weight of the protein-containing-food. So you can have a lot more than you think!

Reactions: mondFi

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But isn’t meat all protein. Oh dear does that means that I have to know the protein of everything I eat and I can only have 100gms a day . I thought protein was meat poultry fish any of that was protein gee I am doing it all wrong hmm

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But isn’t meat all protein. Oh dear does that means that I have to know the protein of everything I eat and I can only have 100gms a day . I thought protein was meat poultry fish any of that was protein gee I am doing it all wrong hmm

Meat, fish etc. also contains fat, so the protein content will be less than the weight of the food. If you look on supermarket websites you can get an idea of what is in the cuts you usually eat.

I don’t think you need to be too precise about it.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally about 20% of total weight of meat or fish is protein. So 100g of meat contain around 20g of protein :)

Reactions: Serena51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a known problem with your kidneys? If not, I would just keep an eye on your yearly full bloods test and only start worrying and restricting protein if that test shows there is something wrong. In that case, your GP would in any case discuss it with you. Meanwhile, as Mel says, since eg meat contains many elements including protein but also fat and above all fluid, 100g protein is harder to consume than you think.

As we get older it is extremely important to eat enough protein, as we absorb it less well than younger people and we are subject to muscle wastage, which can be disastrous. Personally, I consider it is quite enough to restrict my carbs. No way can I be limiting the two other macro nutrients as well. And I treasure my muscles.

To get the full benefit of the protein we are eating, it is very important to spread it over as many meals as possible. There is a limit to the amount of protein we can absorb at any one time, so eating one huge protein heavy meal wastes a lot of it.

Reactions: Safi

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, it also contains a bit of fat and is mostly water :)

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What does everyone do with meat on the bone? Weigh the meat after deboning or eyeball it?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for this so grateful for all your help Yes I do have chronic kidney disease stage 3 my kidneys are only work at 33 percent. I was. told to give up salt which I have and although dictor says they are holding their own as he put it, I am trying to get things right in what I am eating to help them keep steady. I know my doctor says they get worse as we age but. I am trying to keep them going. X

Reactions: michita and Guzzler

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does everyone do with meat on the bone? Weigh the meat after deboning or eyeball it?

Depends. If the nutrition information relates to ‘edible portion’ or ‘as prepared’ I weigh without the bone. Otherwise with the bone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Depends. If the nutrition information relates to ‘edible portion’ or ‘as prepared’ I weigh without the bone. Otherwise with the bone.

Thanks.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you for this so grateful for all your help Yes I do have chronic kidney disease stage 3 my kidneys are only work at 33 percent. I was. told to give up salt which I have and although dictor says they are holding their own as he put it, I am trying to get things right in what I am eating to help them keep steady. I know my doctor says they get worse as we age but. I am trying to keep them going. X
I have read that when one's kidneys reach a certain stage of loss of function, the advice is to restrict protein (among other things).
Speaking with your kidney consultant and associated dietitian about your protein intake first sounds wise before looking to change it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have read that when one's kidneys reach a certain stage of loss of function, the advice is to restrict protein (among other things).
Speaking with your kidney consultant and associated dietitian about your protein intake first sounds wise before looking to change it.

I have noticed quite a difference when the boffins speak of protein allowance. I hear any number between 0.4g per Kg of bodyweight per day to 1.5g per Kg of bodyweight per day. However, one boffin actually said that he would shy away at anything higher than 0.8g for those with kidney problems (this was not a nephrologist).

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have noticed quite a difference when the boffins speak of protein allowance. I hear any number between 0.4g per Kg of bodyweight per day to 1.5g per Kg of bodyweight per day. However, one boffin actually said that he would shy away at anything higher than 0.8g for those with kidney problems (this was not a nephrologist).
Thank you @Guzzler, I have heard of these figures too. I am unsure when the 0.8g/body weight applies in kidney problems. It also makes one wonder at effect of very high protein diets on kidneys, weight gain etc.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @Guzzler, I have heard of these figures too. I am unsure when the 0.8g/body weight applies in kidney problems. It also makes one wonder at effect of very high protein diets on kidneys, weight gain etc.

Aye, I increased my protein intake when I learned that protein metabolism decreases in efficiency as we age especially after 50 but also to try and stem weight loss. Soon afterwards I increased healthy fat levels too. My weight has stabilised again but whether it is down to the fats or the protein is hard to tell. Still, it has been no hardship to have more steak.

Reactions: lindijanice

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole protein and kidney thing has been debunked - there's even evidence that it makes no difference even with people with pre-existing kidney disease.

Protein is also one nutrient that is extremely difficult to overeat - there are inbuilt satiety mechanisms that tell you when you've had enough.

Personally, I find protein to be the one macronutrient I don't need to worry about - I eat as much as I want and usually make it the main focus of my meal. I want to keep having muscle as I age and protein ensures that.

I usually find I range between around 90-110g per day - so up to about 1.6g/kg of body weight.

It also doesn't seem to impact my ability to be in ketosis.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put it on the plate and weigh it then after I've finished weigh the plate again with the bone. First weight minus the second is what I have eaten.. easier when you are carnivore.. no pesky veg to worry about...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My average for this year is 140g of protein per day.... no probs with blood sugars or ketosis.

Reactions: Pasha