An interesting day.....

DaveXF

Today I had an argument with a new ( to me) GP.
he accused me of being a failure in no longer being able to control my DB my way....I told him that I had done my very best and done a **** good job until recently (I've been T2 for years and years)
We then discussed my BP and how this would effect my BG levels, he agreed and accepted that my job wont be helping.
He then tested my BP...looked at it..and tested it again.
130/80...**** near normal....(from 170/95 on Monday)
He said that it's obvious that my body reacts quickly to both stress, relaxation and ( in this instance) very weak meds too.
I forgot to ask about Vit B12...
We then got into my cholesterol. it's a little high.
Convention dictates that all diabetics must take statins as DB does interfere with cholesterol levels and the ability to absorb 'good cholesterol'
I explained that after two days my legs were burning after taking a statin...usually at night.
He said that statins only create muscle wastage once the cholestrol levels have dropped to normal or below normal.
"you mean with those people who react very quickly to medications?"

He reckons that the pains are my body's cry for help and have nothing to do with Diabetic Neuropathy...

anyway..once we'd jousted for a bit we've agreed to try the statins .
IF I have any problems, then I'm coming right off them.
I've happy to go on Metformin ( which is a drug used in the USA for none diabetics, as it has a positive effect on cholesterol...so why give a statin?..and is anti carcinogenic) again...

So...to those who are struggling with nerve pain etc, don't assume the worst.
Get your backside to the Drs, have an argument, show passion and don't give up.

DaveXF

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

I'll just drop a link to my pet thread here.

Your GP seems to demonstrate a worrying lack of awareness of statins and cholesterol.

Was he quite old by any chance?

He was quite young but oh so wise.

IF my BGs get to a level where I'm happy ( again), then I'm sure that my cholesterol will get back to a decent number.

I'm a firm believe in keto and low carb BUT I did fall off the wagon a bit ( actually a lot...cannot find a low carb cider) .
However, let's see how I am next month....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Was it your GP who used the phrase 'Bad cholesterol'? Statins can block the CoQ10 pathway which results in the disruption of muscle repair which can, in some people, result in pain and damage which is why some statins actually contain CoQ10. Even the manufacturers have acknowledged this though they understate the number of people who may be affected.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a very short joust with statins and Metformin I was having dreadful pains in muscles and joints - and the pain in my left leg lingered for about 18 months from stopping taking them - and I only took them for 5 weeks. My muscles are only just beginning to feel right - that is firm and resilient, but although I can manage to heave knitting machines about again, my strength is much reduced. Having got to the age of 65 with a muscle mass I could measure with a hand held fat-o-meter, I am still out of range almost 2 years later. That is a loss of over 15 pounds of muscle tissue.
When I flex my lower legs I can feel that the front outer curve of muscle which is there on my right leg, is just not there on my left one and I dare not trust it when descending stairs, though I can go up normally now.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Why would any one care about their cholesterol levels?? Especially if it's only a "little high"??

DaveXF

Why would any one care about their cholesterol levels?? Especially if it's only a "little high"??
I don't..but he did.
It was a full on " I know what I'm talking about" convo.
I've not looked at home cholesterol kits ( even if they exist) but will.
I've been told, elsewhere, that avastatin is the gold standard and should I NEED them, then I should ask for them.
I've taken my 1st 1000mg dose of extended release metformin...and I can feel some distinct churning.
Good job we have 2 bathrooms and a cloakroom within shuffling distance,

Last edited:

DaveXF

You might like this one (and I love an excuse to post a link to my new favourite song again :p )
Hope things'll change for the better soon for you, @DaveXF !
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/i-got-the-diabetes-blues.157404/
Most kind and thank you.
Nigh on 24hrs in and I'm now at 8.9mmoll. This time yesterday I was at 16.7.
Not a bad result but a long way to go to get stabilised.
The itching is still with me and I felt like death wandering around Asda this morning....extremely tired.
The ankles are still a bit achey...but, as far as neurological damage is concerned, I may have just dodged a bullet.

Reactions: HSSS