And... I'm back, Doh!

Vidar

Hey guys,

It's been quite a while since I last posted. The last time I was here I think I'd lost about 6st. My Type 2 Diabetes was in remission and while I yet didn't feel any better about myself I was able to come off of my medication . I was managing to do things quite well for a while but then it all fell apart. I went out for a meal with family, pre pandemic and for the first time in a very long time I ate some chips with my meal. Well it was probably the best tasting thing I'd ever had, I actually dreamed about chips several times and it all went downhill from there.

So lets see, I'm up to 32st at the moment. Not the 36st I was when I first started my diabetic journey but still much heavier than the 27st 4lbs I got to. My latest blood test showed me at 56, up from 52 the last time I was tested. So while not atrocious I'm still disgusted with myself.

My mobility is no way improved, I suffered an horrific leg injury in 2018 and have been pretty much house bound since, and I've now also got low testosterone. On the plus side I should be getting surgery next year to remove the metal work as they think that is what's causing a lot of my issues.

So with all that in mind, I'm back! Some of you guys really helped me last time and got me through some tough times and so I'm hoping for that support again.

To make things a little more complicated I tend to avoid vegetables. This isn't because I don't like the taste only I seem to have a lot of intolerance and most either upset my stomach or make me sick or nauseous for hours after eating them.

I don't check my blood sugars, while I'm not needle phobic I do have a full blown phobia of needles etc in my finger tips, this stems from having calcium finger prick tests done as as child.

Anyway, I hope to chat with you guys soon and be a member of the community again.

Reactions: muzza3 and SaskiaKC

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Vidar , and welcome back!
I'm sorry to hear you've been having a hard time, glad to see you're ready to pick things up again though.
While 56 is in the diabetic range, it's not even close to the higher regions of diabetes, so you might find your numbers will improve by a lot with relatively small changes, especially as this number is after having fallen off the wagon for a while :)
To make things a little more complicated I tend to avoid vegetables.
How are you with meats, cheeses, eggs, dairy, nuts? We have a few members eating mainly animal based stuff and they seem to be faring pretty well.

Reactions: EllieM

Vidar

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Other than a very mild intolerance to dairy, which I still eat regularly I'm good with everything other than the above. Though not a huge fan of nuts in general.

It's been a long fall off the wagon, about a year but I've kept putting off starting again as I can be very stubborn and didn't want to give up carbs. I also need a purpose to do things, last time it was just about getting into remission, job done it was easy to fall off and make excuses.

This time its about my surgery etc as well as remission but I do worry that once I achieve those I'll slip up again.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi vidar
Welcome back. Good move to acknowledge it. A leg op, low testosterone and other side effects of the big D will have been affecting your mood and motivation so really great you are getting back on the wagon.

I find support for my mood and motivation as valuable as support for diet and diabetes.
The Americans are on the ball with this. If you Google sugar addiction you'll find loads of videos and hints and tips which may help. Heres one I found earlier this week about taking small steps rather than being daunted by a big problem
One step at a time :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To make things a little more complicated I tend to avoid vegetables. This isn't because I don't like the taste only I seem to have a lot of intolerance and most either upset my stomach or make me sick or nauseous for hours after eating them.

Avoiding vegetables needn’t be a problem. There’s a few of us on here who do just that and eat only animal based products. Check out Carnivore Corner - it’s been a bit quiet recently, but it’s a friendly bunch. I’ll tag a couple who may have ideas for you @bulkbiker @Bildad

If you’re not testing then limiting carbs as much as possible will be helpful as you can pretty much guarantee you won’t be causing spikes.

Good luck with everything.