And so it begins: Eat less meat or we’ll make you.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Almost zero food waste in this house with fruit and veg growing too .... been this way for years.
As for the cut the carbon I think it's utter nonsense .... and that is according to most .... yes most scientists.

Reactions: Barb McD and porl69

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why people apparently throw good food away. We have virtually no food waste. Even the peelings go in our compost pile. Stuff which can't be home composted gets collected weekly by the bin lorry, and leftovers become soups

Reactions: Barb McD and HSSS

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I throw out a lot for my aunt who has dementia and forgets to eat. If the food isn't there she worries. I now take her tinned food to the food bank a few months before it is out of date and replace it with newer stocks.

I don't compost any more as rats ate through the base of the composter and dug their way up to top to eat the peelings

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m now curious if, after the wave of covid 19 has swept the world, whether views on food self sufficiency within this country will have changed in the eyes of the powers that be and thus policy.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are people so worried about it they are not saying give up meat altogether just cut it down a bit We are not going to die because we have a couple of meat free meals a week. I made meal with Jackfruit the other day I marinated it first then cooked it by the recipe on the tin which was making a tomato sauce first then adding the jackfruit...it was really nice and the texture is just like pulled pork I would certainly have it again if I could find any but I have not seen it in the supermarkets

M

Member496333

Why are people so worried about it they are not saying give up meat altogether just cut it down a bit We are not going to die because we have a couple of meat free meals a week. I made meal with Jackfruit the other day I marinated it first then cooked it by the recipe on the tin which was making a tomato sauce first then adding the jackfruit...it was really nice and the texture is just like pulled pork I would certainly have it again if I could find any but I have not seen it in the supermarkets

Maybe you would feel differently if your choice to eat tomato and jackfruit were being threatened or you were being 'asked' to eat less?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2

The texture may be like pulled pork, but the carb count is not: jackfruit has 23-24grams of carbs per 100g. You are welcome to eat it as much as you like, but it is an objectively inferior choice for T2 diabetics. It could, in fact, be quite an inadvisable choice, especially for young, diet-controlled diabetics. More importantly, the narrative that cutting down meat is beneficial for health and the environment is one that rests on shaky science indeed, and I believe that's what we are worried about.

Reactions: Barb McD

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a bit...at the moment. With recommendations we should all aim to head towards meat free diet. Ie eventually they want us all vegetarian/vegan. How far away?
Also I am not afraid of meat free meals. I grew up with and live with vegetarians. But since diagnosis find it extremely hard to control my bgl without meat and dairy (hard enough at times then too).
How would you react if your means of maintaining your health was being threatened?

M

Member496333

The texture may be like pulled pork, but the carb count is not: jackfruit has 23-24grams of carbs per 100g. You are welcome to eat it as much as you like, but it is an objectively inferior choice for T2 diabetics. It could, in fact, be quite an inadvisable choice, especially for young, diet-controlled diabetics. More importantly, the narrative that cutting down meat is beneficial for health and the environment is one that rests on shaky science indeed, and I believe that's what we are worried about.

And of course there are also those who avoid plants for reasons other than their carbohydrate content.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The proposed Global Diet to Save the Planet is based on an 80% reduction in animal protein so the limit becomes either one beefburger pattie or one small mackerel fillet a week. A jumbo cod in batter represents 3 weeks protein intake. Dairy is similarly limited as are eggs and cheeses unless they are synthetically engineered from plants. This is why we are concerned, It is not just reducing a little bit.

The problem with this level of reduction as proposed, is that not only will the animals not be born, but the farms will be closed down and sold off, and the whole husbandry support network will also be decimanted. So vetinarians, petfood suppliers, abbatoirs, shepherds, cowhands, milk parlours, cheese makers, yoghurt makers etc will all be going too. There will be increased demand for fish, which is already in short supply with dwindling stocks, and poultry which will increase the battery farming industry and need much more soya imports from the Amazon.

Will it save the planet? Or will it just make some business tycoons very rich by supplying fake products and artificial supplements and GMO fertilizers that will become very very necessary on the proposed diet,

It is bad enough that our present diet needs that the bread and four based products must be fortified by law, but when all milks, cheeses and fake meat products will also need to be filled with fungus based additives by law as they will on the new diet, then I do not think this bodes good for the human race. The matter of choice is being taken away from us all on a global scale, just as our freedom to move and socialize is being removed today - at least there is a real reason for that to be happening, and hopefully it will be reversible. The removal of animal protein from the diet is a more permanent matter and will be irreversible.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you would feel differently if your choice to eat tomato and jackfruit were being threatened or you were being 'asked' to eat less?
As I have plenty of other choices of food the jack fruit would only ever be occasional not my main diet.
Nothing yet is being threatened they are just asking us to eat a bit less meat by having a couple of meat free meals a week which plenty of people do already as normal families

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
S
As I have plenty of other choices of food the jack fruit would only ever be occasional not my main diet.
Nothing yet is being threatened they are just asking us to eat a bit less meat by having a couple of meat free meals a week which plenty of people do already as normal families
Slippery slopes

This is what they want right now, they want a whole lot more change in the near future, and they have quite clearly said that

M

Member496333

And would your attitude be the same if you were being asked to have a couple of vegetable-free meals per week? How about if those vegetables were under threat of being taxed off your dinner table? I suspect you may have something to say about it if it were your own choices being eroded.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This time last year they published full details of the proposed dietary guidelines,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47074333

This is why I am worried about what is coming down the runway at us,
https://sustainabledish.com/20-ways-eat-lancets-global-diet-is-wrongfully-vilifying-meat/

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2019/01/the-eat-lancet-diet-is-nutritionally-deficient/

And we have seen countries like Canada and France update their versions of Eatwell in line with these guidelines. The UK is due to update Eatwell in April this year I believe
These new versions have removed all animal protein and dairy and eggs from the plate and replaced with whole grain foods (i.e. cereal bars) and plant based protein. (i.e. meatfree burgers). The pictorial representation is also backed up with statements emphasising these aspects of the diet as being essential for 'good health'.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
0C099C58-900A-4703-8A18-43E00D5F5926.jpeg

Reactions: lucylocket61

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly eat and enjoy several meat (and fowl or fish) free meals a week and have done so for years, but those meals will still generally contain some animal protein/fats in the form of cream, cheese, yoghurt, eggs, etc. No way am I going to give up all this natural protein and replace it with synthetic "vegan" junk food.alternatives.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Covig 19 will clean the lot of us humans out as it mutates, the white and red meat animals will then belch and fart in peace... :D
My initial thought when first hearing about the virus was along similar lines - that mother nature appears to be getting her own back...o_O :wideyed: